Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:46 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 100
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [0]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1541 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: A new type of wrong answer option in CR [#permalink]
Expert Reply
akshaykotha wrote:
Hello community,

I have been lately seeing a type of wrong answer (in CR) which doesn't belong to a reverse logic, out of scope, doesn't affect categories. But if the option is considered to be true, then my line of thought concludes that there is no point in doing the question i.e. the argument should not even exist. Do such type of options exist in the real GMAT or is it my line of thought which is categorizing such options into the new category?

If not, which is the category it can be attributed to?

Thanks!

I believe I know what you're referring to. Yes, these wrong answers exist in official problems, and they're particularly tricky. Here's an example I just made up. Can you confirm that this matches what you're seeing?

Quote:
Restaurant owner: A lot of my customers have recently requested that I offer takeout meals. Selling a takeout meal costs the restaurant no more than selling an ordinary meal, and it will attract customers who otherwise may not purchase our food. Therefore, offering takeout should increase my profits.

Which of the following most weakens the argument?

Right answer: Customers are willing to pay significantly more for a meal eaten in a restaurant than they are for a takeout meal.

Wrong answer: The number of customers at the restaurant has significantly decreased due to a noisy construction project across the street.

The wrong answer makes you think, 'what's the point? We're doing badly anyways, and offering takeout doesn't fix the underlying problem, so it's like putting a band-aid on a broken leg.'

That said, it's still wrong. It's wrong because it's technically out of scope. The rules of CR say that the right answer to a weaken problem will make the exact conclusion less likely to be right. Here, the specific conclusion isn't 'we'll make lots of money' or 'our profits will be high' - it's 'offering takeout will increase profits'. The right answer has to specifically show that offering takeout might not increase profits.

The wrong answer might relate to the argument as a whole, but it doesn't tell you anything specifically about whether offering takeout will affect profits, so it's out of scope. Out of scope = 'doesn't bear on the specific conclusion', not 'doesn't relate to the point of the argument at all'.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ccooley wrote:
akshaykotha wrote:
Hello community,

I have been lately seeing a type of wrong answer (in CR) which doesn't belong to a reverse logic, out of scope, doesn't affect categories. But if the option is considered to be true, then my line of thought concludes that there is no point in doing the question i.e. the argument should not even exist. Do such type of options exist in the real GMAT or is it my line of thought which is categorizing such options into the new category?

If not, which is the category it can be attributed to?

Thanks!

I believe I know what you're referring to. Yes, these wrong answers exist in official problems, and they're particularly tricky. Here's an example I just made up. Can you confirm that this matches what you're seeing?

Quote:
Restaurant owner: A lot of my customers have recently requested that I offer takeout meals. Selling a takeout meal costs the restaurant no more than selling an ordinary meal, and it will attract customers who otherwise may not purchase our food. Therefore, offering takeout should increase my profits.

Which of the following most weakens the argument?

Right answer: Customers are willing to pay significantly more for a meal eaten in a restaurant than they are for a takeout meal.

Wrong answer: The number of customers at the restaurant has significantly decreased due to a noisy construction project across the street.

The wrong answer makes you think, 'what's the point? We're doing badly anyways, and offering takeout doesn't fix the underlying problem, so it's like putting a band-aid on a broken leg.'

That said, it's still wrong. It's wrong because it's technically out of scope. The rules of CR say that the right answer to a weaken problem will make the exact conclusion less likely to be right. Here, the specific conclusion isn't 'we'll make lots of money' or 'our profits will be high' - it's 'offering takeout will increase profits'. The right answer has to specifically show that offering takeout might not increase profits.

The wrong answer might relate to the argument as a whole, but it doesn't tell you anything specifically about whether offering takeout will affect profits, so it's out of scope. Out of scope = 'doesn't bear on the specific conclusion', not 'doesn't relate to the point of the argument at all'.

Thanks for the clarification ccooley. Now I get that it is actually an 'Out of scope' choice. Referring to this: The wrong answer might relate to the argument as a whole, but it doesn't tell you anything specifically about whether offering takeout will affect profits, so it's out of scope. according to me the wrong answer is wrong as it doesn't directly direct answer the question rather it is still a valid, relatable assertion. In such cases, does it help to look at such choices 'standalone' for a moment and then mark the answer? By standalone, I mean to get a general view of how it is related to the conclusion
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts