Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 21:17 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [89]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [32]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [25]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 171 [4]
Given Kudos: 150
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
GPA: 3.85
WE:Design (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: A proposed law would require citizens to bring photo ID to polling pla [#permalink]
Kudos
Citizens ..... when they vote to curb potential fraud? Wow. Great idea. I would love to vote to curb potential fraud, who won't?

But, is that the intended meaning here? Nopes, I'm afraid not. The meaning is: to curb the potential fraud, citizens have to bring their ID along with them when they come to vote.

(A) A proposed law would require citizens to bring photo ID to polling places when they vote to curb potential fraud. Not the intended meaning.

(B) To curb potential fraud, a proposed law would require citizens to bring photo ID to polling places when they vote. Correct. Intended meaning + subjunctive 'would' + to form of verb. Perfect!

(C) A proposed law will require citizens to curb potential fraud by bringing photo ID to polling places when they vote. Duhh! Not the intended meaning again.

(D) A proposed law will curb potential fraud by requiring citizens to vote at polling places with photo ID. Vote with a photo ID? Hilarious.

(E) To curb potential fraud, a proposed law requires citizens to bring photo ID to polling places when they vote. Requires? It is a law of the land or what?

Originally posted by DigitsnLetters on 25 Jul 2017, 21:58.
Last edited by DigitsnLetters on 26 Jul 2017, 01:21, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Re: A proposed law would require citizens to bring photo ID to polling pla [#permalink]
GMATNinja wrote:
This question is pretty much 100% about meaning. Some really nice explanations are already below, so I'll try to keep these short.

Quote:
(A) A proposed law would require citizens to bring photo ID to polling places when they vote to curb potential fraud.

I think we would all love to vote to curb potential fraud, but that's clearly not the intended meaning of the sentence. (A) is gone.

Quote:
(B) To curb potential fraud, a proposed law would require citizens to bring photo ID to polling places when they vote.

This looks good. In order to curb potential fraud, a proposed law would make people bring ID when the vote. And the verb "would" makes sense, too: the proposed law isn't in effect yet, so the conditional is correct. Keep (B).

Quote:
(C) A proposed law will require citizens to curb potential fraud by bringing photo ID to polling places when they vote.

There are a few issues here. "Will require" is a little bit too certain, since the law has only been proposed; "would" is better. It's a little bit of a stretch to say that citizens "curb potential fraud by bringing photo ID to polling places," but that's not necessarily wrong -- it just makes more sense to say that the law curbs fraud by requiring ID, as in answer choice (B). And "they" is a little bit further from "citizens" than we'd ideally like.

There's no single factor that makes (C) DEFINITELY wrong, but there's enough goofiness here to make it an inferior choice to (B).

Quote:
(D) A proposed law will curb potential fraud by requiring citizens to vote at polling places with photo ID.

The phrase "polling places with photo ID" makes it sound like the polling places themselves have photo ID, and that doesn't make much sense. "Will" is also not ideal here. (D) is out.

Quote:
(E) To curb potential fraud, a proposed law requires citizens to bring photo ID to polling places when they vote.

"Requires" is the wrong verb tense here, since the law hasn't taken effect yet. "They" is also arguably a little bit ambiguous. And sure, pronoun ambiguity isn't an absolute rule (as discussed in this YouTube video), but (B) is clearly better than (E).

Could you please explain a little bit more about the usage of would conditional as is used in statement b?
dont we require an "if" statement for conditionals?
chetan2u daagh
Posted from my mobile device
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31870 [4]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
rahulkashyap wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
This question is pretty much 100% about meaning. Some really nice explanations are already below, so I'll try to keep these short.

Quote:
(A) A proposed law would require citizens to bring photo ID to polling places when they vote to curb potential fraud.

I think we would all love to vote to curb potential fraud, but that's clearly not the intended meaning of the sentence. (A) is gone.

Quote:
(B) To curb potential fraud, a proposed law would require citizens to bring photo ID to polling places when they vote.

This looks good. In order to curb potential fraud, a proposed law would make people bring ID when the vote. And the verb "would" makes sense, too: the proposed law isn't in effect yet, so the conditional is correct. Keep (B).

Quote:
(C) A proposed law will require citizens to curb potential fraud by bringing photo ID to polling places when they vote.

There are a few issues here. "Will require" is a little bit too certain, since the law has only been proposed; "would" is better. It's a little bit of a stretch to say that citizens "curb potential fraud by bringing photo ID to polling places," but that's not necessarily wrong -- it just makes more sense to say that the law curbs fraud by requiring ID, as in answer choice (B). And "they" is a little bit further from "citizens" than we'd ideally like.

There's no single factor that makes (C) DEFINITELY wrong, but there's enough goofiness here to make it an inferior choice to (B).

Quote:
(D) A proposed law will curb potential fraud by requiring citizens to vote at polling places with photo ID.

The phrase "polling places with photo ID" makes it sound like the polling places themselves have photo ID, and that doesn't make much sense. "Will" is also not ideal here. (D) is out.

Quote:
(E) To curb potential fraud, a proposed law requires citizens to bring photo ID to polling places when they vote.

"Requires" is the wrong verb tense here, since the law hasn't taken effect yet. "They" is also arguably a little bit ambiguous. And sure, pronoun ambiguity isn't an absolute rule (as discussed in this YouTube video), but (B) is clearly better than (E).

Could you please explain a little bit more about the usage of would conditional as is used in statement b?
dont we require an "if" statement for conditionals?
chetan2u daagh
Posted from my mobile device

Hi..

Here would is not used in conditional form but as a possibility of something.
However in B, I am really not sure if it makes sense..
On one hand we are saying proposed law that is it is already made and being discussed now and on the other hand we are not sure what it contains..

It could have been correct in many other ways..
# To curb potential fraud, a new law would require.....
# A proposed law requiring .... would curb potential fraud.

So B may be the best here, but 'would' just not fits in and c
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 931 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.6
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
GMATNinja daagh mikemcgarry DmitryFarber chetan2u please can u help with option E:
The law is "proposed" and not yet implemented .
The verb tense "would" will be inappropriate here as the law that is PROPOSED REQUIRES bla bla bla. If we add "would" we are basically uncertain about the plan and what it actually is proposing..
It's more like we are making a guess about the proposed alaw.

In contrast to B, E is much clearer.
The law is proposed and if implemented, the law will require bla bla bla.... here we are certain as to what actually the law will do

Secondly, the law is PROPOSED and has not yet been implemented so using the verb "would" would be redundant right?
proposal itself tells us that this thing hasnt happened.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 931 [3]
Given Kudos: 632
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.6
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
A proposed law would require citizens to bring photo ID to polling pla [#permalink]
Kudos