Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:02 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1188 [6]
Given Kudos: 172
GPA: 3.46
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 161 [1]
Given Kudos: 70
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [4]
Given Kudos: 55
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
Re: A psychiatrist argued that there is no such thing as a multi [#permalink]
gmatprav wrote:
+1 E.

My reasoning is as below. correct me if I am mistaken.

In the question the conclusion is absolute "no such thing as...", so is the premise "never encountered one case...". Also, the observer is the one reaching to a conclusion.

A. Anton concluded that colds are seldom fatal on the grounds that in all his years of clinical practice, he never had a patient who died of a cold.
The word seldom indicates the conclusion is not absolute. - OUT
B. Lyla said that no one in the area has seen a groundhog and so there are probably no groundhogs in the area.
Observation is made by other people not the person making the conclusion.
C. Sauda argued that because therapy rarely had an effect on her patient's type of disorder, therapy was not warranted.
The word rarely again is non-absolute.
D. Thomas argued that because Natasha has driven her car to work every day since she bought it, she would probably continue to drive her car to work.
The conclusion is for future "she would probably continue... - incorrect
E. Jerod had never spotted a deer in his area and concluded from this that there are no deer in the area.
The words never and "no deer..." are both absolute hence correct.

Here is my view. I chose A

A psychiatrist argued that there is no such thing as a multiple personality disorder on the grounds that in all her years of clinical practice, she had never encountered one case of this type.

A.Anton concluded that colds are seldom fatal on the grounds that in all his years of clinical practice, he never had a patient who died of a cold.

E.Jerod had never spotted a deer in his area and (he)concluded from this that there are no deer in the area.

A seems much better than E.If I was wrong,please explain,thanks in advance. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
Send PM
I am not sure of the answer either. if it were A, the wording would have been more direct "Anton concluded that colds are not fatal because he never had a patient..." instead it uses the word seldom which means "not often". that means Anton Anton does not exclude a minor possibility of fatality. whereas our psychiatrist completely excludes any possibility of multiple personality disorder. hence E for me. :)

samsmalldog wrote:
gmatprav wrote:
+1 E.

In the question the conclusion is absolute "no such thing as...", so is the premise "never encountered one case...". Also, the observer is the one reaching to a conclusion.

A. Anton concluded that colds are seldom fatal on the grounds that in all his years of clinical practice, he never had a patient who died of a cold.
B. Lyla said that no one in the area has seen a groundhog and so there are probably no groundhogs in the area.
C. Sauda argued that because therapy rarely had an effect on her patient's type of disorder, therapy was not warranted.
D. Thomas argued that because Natasha has driven her car to work every day since she bought it, she would probably continue to drive her car to work.
E. Jerod had never spotted a deer in his area and concluded from this that there are no deer in the area.

A psychiatrist argued that there is no such thing as a multiple personality disorder on the grounds that in all her years of clinical practice, she had never encountered one case of this type.

A.Anton concluded that colds are seldom fatal on the grounds that in all his years of clinical practice, he never had a patient who died of a cold.

E.Jerod had never spotted a deer in his area and (he)concluded from this that there are no deer in the area.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
gmatprav wrote:
I am not sure of the answer either. if it were A, the wording would have been more direct "Anton concluded that colds are not fatal because he never had a patient..." instead it uses the word seldom which means "not often". that means Anton Anton does not exclude a minor possibility of fatality. whereas our psychiatrist completely excludes any possibility of multiple personality disorder. hence E for me. :)

samsmalldog wrote:
gmatprav wrote:
+1 E.

I see,hem...see what other guys opinion :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 949 [4]
Given Kudos: 142
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V47
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos

Which one of the following most closely parallels the questionable reasoning cited above?

D. Thomas argued that because Natasha has driven her car to work every day since she bought it, she would probably continue to drive her car to work

In the premise the psychiatrist says MPD never occurs, cause she never encountered.
The psychiatrist is very confident and she never used probability. Only option E maintains this absoluteness, rest all options still consider a chance of non-occurrence.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Critical Reasoning (CR) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts