GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2018, 22:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A question about the perfect tense

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Sep 2018
Posts: 2
A question about the perfect tense  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2018, 07:52
Question: At least some volunteers who said they had acted fairly in choosing the easy task would have said that it was unfair for someone else to do so.

It is actually a CR question choice in the OG No.650. I think the tenses here "said", "had acted", "would have said" are awkward.

It makes sense that we say "who said that they had acted ...", it means the action "act" happened before the action "say" in the past.

But if we add the "would have said", it is totally different. Because, as we all know, "would have" means that something you actually didn't do in the past.

So the meaning of the original sentence is volunteers didn't say that it was unfair for someone else to do so. In fact, as the argument implied, they did so.
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 23 Nov 2017
Posts: 95
Location: Singapore
Concentration: Strategy, Other
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V33
Re: A question about the perfect tense  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2018, 20:41
1
a248362791 wrote:
Question: At least some volunteers who said they had acted fairly in choosing the easy task would have said that it was unfair for someone else to do so.

It is actually a CR question choice in the OG No.650. I think the tenses here "said", "had acted", "would have said" are awkward.

It makes sense that we say "who said that they had acted ...", it means the action "act" happened before the action "say" in the past.

But if we add the "would have said", it is totally different. Because, as we all know, "would have" means that something you actually didn't do in the past.

So the meaning of the original sentence is volunteers didn't say that it was unfair for someone else to do so. In fact, as the argument implied, they did so.



IMO, "would have" constructions are hypothectical in nature. Here the prompt says that at least some of the volunteers said that they acted fairly (acting fairly is prior to saying). Now the hypothetical part -If someone had asked them then, they would have responded by saying that it was unfair for someone else to do so. So, yea it doesn't happen really. The prompt says that had this question been raised, this would have been the response. The sentence is grammatically correct.

Please hit kudos if that helped..i kinda really need them.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Sep 2018
Posts: 2
Re: A question about the perfect tense  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2018, 01:46
Gagoosh wrote:
a248362791 wrote:
Question: At least some volunteers who said they had acted fairly in choosing the easy task would have said that it was unfair for someone else to do so.

It is actually a CR question choice in the OG No.650. I think the tenses here "said", "had acted", "would have said" are awkward.

It makes sense that we say "who said that they had acted ...", it means the action "act" happened before the action "say" in the past.

But if we add the "would have said", it is totally different. Because, as we all know, "would have" means that something you actually didn't do in the past.

So the meaning of the original sentence is volunteers didn't say that it was unfair for someone else to do so. In fact, as the argument implied, they did so.



IMO, "would have" constructions are hypothectical in nature. Here the prompt says that at least some of the volunteers said that they acted fairly (acting fairly is prior to saying). Now the hypothetical part -If someone had asked them then, they would have responded by saying that it was unfair for someone else to do so. So, yea it doesn't happen really. The prompt says that had this question been raised, this would have been the response. The sentence is grammatically correct.

Please hit kudos if that helped..i kinda really need them.


Thanks for your reply.

I can totally understand your explanation of the sentence. And it makes sense.

But is it grammatically correct that we omitt the "if" part in a hypothetical sentence?

I am sure that some sentences, such as "I would have told you the story, but you didn't ask me", are right without "if" part. Because "you didn't ask me" substitute the "if" part.
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 23 Nov 2017
Posts: 95
Location: Singapore
Concentration: Strategy, Other
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V33
Re: A question about the perfect tense  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2018, 01:55
I am glad I could help you with your previous doubt, but I am no expert buddy :(
I usually pull out the meaning of the sentence and act accordingly. Also you might find going through If ..then constructions useful (chapter 12 -MGMAT SC)
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 49916
Re: A question about the perfect tense  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2018, 02:00
a248362791 wrote:
Question: At least some volunteers who said they had acted fairly in choosing the easy task would have said that it was unfair for someone else to do so.

It is actually a CR question choice in the OG No.650. I think the tenses here "said", "had acted", "would have said" are awkward.

It makes sense that we say "who said that they had acted ...", it means the action "act" happened before the action "say" in the past.

But if we add the "would have said", it is totally different. Because, as we all know, "would have" means that something you actually didn't do in the past.

So the meaning of the original sentence is volunteers didn't say that it was unfair for someone else to do so. In fact, as the argument implied, they did so.


That question is discussed here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/in-an-experi ... 02764.html

Hope it helps.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Manhattan Prep Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 04 Dec 2015
Posts: 629
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: A question about the perfect tense  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2018, 12:31
2
a248362791 wrote:
Thanks for your reply.

I can totally understand your explanation of the sentence. And it makes sense.

But is it grammatically correct that we omitt the "if" part in a hypothetical sentence?

I am sure that some sentences, such as "I would have told you the story, but you didn't ask me", are right without "if" part. Because "you didn't ask me" substitute the "if" part.


It's okay to have a hypothetical sentence without the word 'if'. You're right, usually the word 'if' will be in there, but there's no rule that says it always has to be.

For example, these are hypotheticals that use the subjunctive tense:

I wondered what I would have done in the same situation.
Steve speculated on whether he would have passed the class without extra tutoring.
_________________

Image

Chelsey Cooley | Manhattan Prep Instructor | Seattle and Online

My upcoming GMAT trial classes | GMAT blog archive

GMAT Club Bot
Re: A question about the perfect tense &nbs [#permalink] 01 Oct 2018, 12:31
Display posts from previous: Sort by

A question about the perfect tense

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.