It is currently 16 Dec 2017, 01:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A recently published paper concludes that tenured professors or those

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P

Kudos [?]: 195 [0], given: 83

GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
A recently published paper concludes that tenured professors or those [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2017, 20:14
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

33% (01:27) correct 67% (01:39) wrong based on 201 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A recently published paper concludes that tenured professors or those on their way to tenure don’t enhance student learning as much as full-time lecturers outside the tenure system. Clearly, the difference between professors in the tenure system and other full-time lecturers has to do with the reward system for the former. The criterion for rewarding tenured faculty typically places a greater emphasis on research than teaching.

The above argument is based on doubts on the validity of which of the following statements?

A. A tenured professor is expected to spend greater time on research activities than on teaching.
B. Non-tenured full time lecturers are rewarded more for the research that they do than for their teaching assignments.
C. The universities are bound by the law to continue with their existing reward systems.
D. Generally, a tenured professor is much more experienced than a non-tenured full time lecturer.
E. No non-tenured professor focuses more on the research activities than teaching in order to become tenured.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 195 [0], given: 83

3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 92 [3], given: 467

Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
A recently published paper concludes that tenured professors or those [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2017, 23:51
This post received
KUDOS
Although I selected E earlier, I now realize why is the OA B.

Firstly, know very clearly what does the question asks for:
"The above argument is based on doubts on the validity of which of the following statements "-
means which of the following if true will most weaken the argument or in other words, validity of which of the following statement has the potential to change the entire argument.

T is more involved in Research more than NT is in teaching => NT supports teaching more
why? "the reward system for the T"
conclusion drawn by author - T gets rewarded more for Research than teaching

what will reverse the conclusion by 180 degree (pre thinking)- if NT gets rewarded more for Research
what B says:
"Non-tenured full time lecturers are rewarded more for the research that they do than for their teaching assignments." - exactly in line with pre-thinking

This question is tricky because of the language of the stem, whose understanding is the most important part. Hope this post helps .

------------------------------
"Trust the timing of your life"
Hit Kudus if this has helped you get closer to your goal, and also to assist others save time. Tq :)

Last edited by TaN1213 on 25 Nov 2017, 01:03, edited 2 times in total.

Kudos [?]: 92 [3], given: 467

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 56

GPA: 3.2
WE: General Management (Human Resources)
Premium Member
Re: A recently published paper concludes that tenured professors or those [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2017, 06:17
E also for me. The question is a little tricky.

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 56

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 775

CAT Tests
Re: A recently published paper concludes that tenured professors or those [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2017, 14:22
Can anyone explain 'doubts on the validity'? -->Does it mean falseness of statement? Invalidation of a fact? Violation of assumption?

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 518

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2017, 22:01
I didn't understand what the question itself, nor could I gain clarity from OA. Please give some explanation.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 518

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2017, 00:14
D.. weakens the argument.. if they are more experienced can their teaching be so bad.

Sent from my MotoG3 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2017, 00:15
D.. weakens the argument.. if they are more experienced can their teaching be so bad.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 467

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2017, 01:08
ahujanandisha wrote:

D is not a better choice than B, because D does not involve the 'topic' that the conclusion drawn by the author involves. Here author is blaming the reward system. So definitely the answer has to involve reward system in some way.

Always know what the conclusion by author is blaming. That's our most important criteria to scan options.

Hit Kudus if this has helped you get closer to your goal, and also to assist others save time. Tq :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2017, 02:25
TaN1213 wrote:
ahujanandisha wrote:

D is not a better choice than B, because D does not involve the 'topic' that the conclusion drawn by the author involves. Here author is blaming the reward system. So definitely the answer has to involve reward system in some way.

Always know what the conclusion by author is blaming. That's our most important criteria to scan options.

Hi! Could you explain a little more in detail? I didn't really understand the stem - 'doubts on validity' - statements would be easier to analyse post the stem?

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 146

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2017, 06:37
TaN1213 wrote:

"The above argument is based on doubts on the validity of which of the following statements "-
means which of the following if true will most weaken the argument or in other words, validity of which of the following statement has the potential to change the entire argument.

T is more involved in Research more than NT is in teaching => NT supports teaching more

what will reverse the conclusion by 180 degree (pre thinking)- if NT gets rewarded more for Research
what B says:
"Non-tenured full time lecturers are rewarded more for the research that they do than for their teaching assignments." - exactly in line with pre-thinking

This question is tricky because of the language of the stem, whose understanding is the most important part. Hope this post helps .

I think E is the assumption required to hold the argument.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 146

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2017, 07:20
sunny91 wrote:
TaN1213 wrote:

what B says:

I think E is the assumption required to hold the argument.

If it were an assumption question then E would have been correct. It's a contradict question.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 228

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2017, 20:41
saswata4s wrote:
A recently published paper concludes that tenured professors or those on their way to tenure don’t enhance student learning as much as full-time lecturers outside the tenure system. Clearly, the difference between professors in the tenure system and other full-time lecturers has to do with the reward system for the former. The criterion for rewarding tenured faculty typically places a greater emphasis on research than teaching.

The above argument is based on doubts on the validity of which of the following statements?

A. A tenured professor is expected to spend greater time on research activities than on teaching.
B. Non-tenured full time lecturers are rewarded more for the research that they do than for their teaching assignments.
C. The universities are bound by the law to continue with their existing reward systems.
D. Generally, a tenured professor is much more experienced than a non-tenured full time lecturer.
E. No non-tenured professor focuses more on the research activities than teaching in order to become tenured.

At first, I didn't really get the question, but I know the answer will do the opposite thing from the rest 4 answers.
Then I attempted to solve this question by ruling out the "black sheep".
Logical flow:
Premise: Tenured prof. earn more from research than teaching.
Conclusion: Tenured prof. do not focus as much on teaching as full-time lecturers.

If this is true, then the conclusion is strengthened.

B. Non-tenured full time lecturers are rewarded more for the research that they do than for their teaching assignments

This statement implies that full-time lecturers have the same reward system. If both tenured prof. and full-time lecturers can earn more money from research than teaching, how can we conclude the former is more focused than the latter ? <= this is a weakening statement (the black sheep is here).
This statement introduces no new information, except pointing out who is the author of the reward systems.
This statement does nothing to the argument. The experience is out of scope here.
Negating it, we have: some non-tenured professors focuses more on the research activities than teaching in order to become tenured.
If this negation is true, the conclusion will be weakened => so E is, in fact, strengthening the argument.

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 228

Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 670

Concentration: International Business, Operations
Schools: ISB '19
GMAT 1: 480 Q38 V22
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2017, 09:30
Please explain the questions stem as it is difficult to understand and which question type it is? Also, please explain the reasons to eliminate each answer choice with POE.

"Success is not as glamorous as people tell you. It's a lot of hours spent in the darkness."

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 670

Re: A recently published paper concludes that tenured professors or those   [#permalink] 11 Dec 2017, 09:30

A recently published paper concludes that tenured professors or those

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap