It is currently 17 Dec 2017, 06:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A restaurant that comes up with an innovative dish can normally increa

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 199 [0], given: 33

GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
A restaurant that comes up with an innovative dish can normally increa [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2017, 12:17
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

48% (01:38) correct 52% (01:53) wrong based on 134 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A restaurant that comes up with an innovative dish can normally increase its profits by capitalizing on the novelty of the dish. Since recipes can be easily replicated, the restaurant with a new dish advertises it aggressively to attract customers while the novelty factor can still be used as a selling point. But aggressive advertising generates a fear of losing customers in the competitors and gives them a strong incentive to quickly replicate the new dish. Therefore, the strategy to maximize overall profit from a new dish is to advertise it selectively.

Which of the following, if true, strengthens the suggestion given by the author?

A) The patrons of a restaurant are the ones who are most likely to try a new dish at the restaurant.
B) The word of mouth publicity generated by the customers of the restaurant is a good enough reason for the competitors to replicate the dish.
C) The recipes for the innovative dishes are usually kept under close guard by the restaurants that develop the dishes.
D) Aggressive marketing usually generates far more profits than does selective marketing.
E) Selective marketing has been proven to be an effective strategy for fast food restaurant chains.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

we shall fight on the beaches,
we shall fight on the landing grounds,
we shall fight in the fields and in the streets,
we shall fight in the hills;
we shall never surrender!

Kudos [?]: 199 [0], given: 33

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 46

Re: A restaurant that comes up with an innovative dish can normally increa [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2017, 05:13
Im super confused. I can’t see why A works. I chose E, given fast food restaurants are different in their menus and target selective tastes (Taco Bell vs Burger King). Can someone please explain why A works? Appreciate the help.

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 46

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 89

CAT Tests
Re: A restaurant that comes up with an innovative dish can normally increa [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2017, 06:27
E

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 89

Director
Director
P

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 46

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2017, 06:45
Need explanation on A ...On a first go , i eliminated the choice :o
argument is all about marketing ..and it is written in argument , new dish normally produces profits...
Even if most of them try new dish , what about marketing effect on profit ....

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 46

Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 337

WE: Supply Chain Management (Computer Hardware)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
A restaurant that comes up with an innovative dish can normally increa [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2017, 07:51
I went with A for the following reason

1. Patrons or regular customer will try a new dish, this means the new dish will sell generating money without serious advertisement hence won't allow the competitors to copy the dish. This will result in revenue growth without the fear of losing customers to competitors .

Last edited by Turkish on 05 Oct 2017, 12:48, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 337

Senior CR Moderator
V

Kudos [?]: 1116 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2017, 08:41
bkpolymers1617 wrote:
A restaurant that comes up with an innovative dish can normally increase its profits by capitalizing on the novelty of the dish. Since recipes can be easily replicated, the restaurant with a new dish advertises it aggressively to attract customers while the novelty factor can still be used as a selling point. But aggressive advertising generates a fear of losing customers in the competitors and gives them a strong incentive to quickly replicate the new dish. Therefore, the strategy to maximize overall profit from a new dish is to advertise it selectively.

Which of the following, if true, strengthens the suggestion given by the author?

A) The patrons of a restaurant are the ones who are most likely to try a new dish at the restaurant.
Correct. Advertising selectively to the patrons of a restaurant seems to help the restaurant not only keep the new dish secret but also maximum the revenue.

B) The word of mouth publicity generated by the customers of the restaurant is a good enough reason for the competitors to replicate the dish.
This choice weaken the argument. This choice indicates that even if the restaurant chooses to advertise selectively,
the dish is still replicated easily.

C) The recipes for the innovative dishes are usually kept under close guard by the restaurants that develop the dishes.
This choice is irrelevant to the argument.

D) Aggressive marketing usually generates far more profits than does selective marketing.
Same as C

E) Selective marketing has been proven to be an effective strategy for fast food restaurant chains.
"effective strategy" is irrelevant here. The argument focuses on replicating dish only.

Actual LSAT CR bank by Broall

How to solve quadratic equations - Factor quadratic equations
Factor table with sign: The useful tool to solve polynomial inequalities
Applying AM-GM inequality into finding extreme/absolute value

New Error Log with Timer

Kudos [?]: 1116 [0], given: 62

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2017, 09:20
syedazeem3 wrote:
Im super confused. I can’t see why A works. I chose E, given fast food restaurants are different in their menus and target selective tastes (Taco Bell vs Burger King). Can someone please explain why A works? Appreciate the help.

Posted from my mobile device

I didnt choose E because I thought that the selective strategy that works for 'fast food restaurant chains' need not necessarily work for all restaurants (or even standalone fast food restaurant).

Pls correct me if my approach/thought is incorrect.

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 4

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2017, 12:12
I eliminated E over A because it talks about "Fast Food" Resturants - which is not necessarily stated in our question.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Director
Director
P

Kudos [?]: 140 [0], given: 64

Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2017, 06:06
deepeshagarwal101 wrote:
I eliminated E over A because it talks about "Fast Food" Resturants - which is not necessarily stated in our question.

Yes that seems to be a valid reason to eliminate option E .. I also eliminated E because of this reason..

MBA Social Network : WebMaggu

Appreciate by Clicking +1 Kudos ( Lets be more generous friends.)

Kudos [?]: 140 [0], given: 64

Re: A restaurant that comes up with an innovative dish can normally increa   [#permalink] 09 Oct 2017, 06:06

A restaurant that comes up with an innovative dish can normally increa

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap