GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 06 Dec 2019, 09:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A right angle triangle has the ratio of sides as 3:4:5 respectively.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Retired Moderator
P
A right angle triangle has the ratio of sides as 3:4:5 respectively.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2019, 22:44
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

82% (00:49) correct 18% (01:08) wrong based on 47 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A right angle triangle has the ratio of its sides as 3:4:5 respectively in increasing order. What is the area of this triangle?

(1) Longest side of this triangle is 25 units.

(2) Sum of the two shorter sides of this triangle is 35 units.
Director
Director
G
Re: A right angle triangle has the ratio of sides as 3:4:5 respectively.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2019, 23:32
amanvermagmat wrote:
A right angle triangle has the ratio of its sides as 3:4:5 respectively in increasing order. What is the area of this triangle?

Let ABC be the right angle triangle with B as the right angled, and since the ratio is in increasing order, ABC will have angles in 30-60-90

Statement 1
Longest side of this triangle is 25
This means, the side opposite to 90 degree is 25(if 25 was not given to us and just the ratios was given, values could have been 9,16,25 or 15,20,35)
Remaining 2 sides will be 9 and 16, as per 3-4-5 triplet
We can calculate the area using the legs of the Triangle.

Statement 2
Since the ratio is in increasing order
The ratio of smallest sides will be x:y = 3:4
x = 3/4 * y

x+y =35
3/4 * y + y = 35
7 y = 35 *4
y = 20

x = 15

We can calculate the area using the legs of the Triangle, 15 and 20.

IMO answer is D

Let me know if you think otherwise.

Quote which i can relate to.
Many of life's failures happen with people who do not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.
Intern
Intern
S
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GPA: 3
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Re: A right angle triangle has the ratio of sides as 3:4:5 respectively.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2019, 23:53
amanvermagmat wrote:

OA is D

1) As the ration is 3c:4c:5c but obvious 5c is hypotenuse and 5c= 25 so c =5, one can find 3c and 4c and so the area.
2) As the ration is 3c:4c:5c but obvious the sum of the shorter sides means 3c+4c, so 7c=35, c =5, one can find the area easily.
S

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2019, 23:56
KanishkM wrote:
amanvermagmat wrote:

Let ABC be the right angle triangle with B as the right angled, and since the ratio is in increasing order, ABC will have angles in 30-60-90

Statement 1
Longest side of this triangle is 25
This means, the side opposite to 90 degree is 25(if 25 was not given to us and just the ratios was given, values could have been 9,16,25 or 15,20,35)
Remaining 2 sides will be 9 and 16, as per 3-4-5 triplet
We can calculate the area using the legs of the Triangle.

Statement 2
Since the ratio is in increasing order
The ratio of smallest sides will be x:y = 3:4
x = 3/4 * y

x+y =35
3/4 * y + y = 35
7 y = 35 *4
y = 20

x = 15

We can calculate the area using the legs of the Triangle, 15 and 20.

IMO answer is D

Let me know if you think otherwise.

Am just trying to be a good critique. GMAT is all about how fast one can reason and how good one can manage time. My suggestion is take 5 seconds before approaching the question, you might find a better way to solve it and save on time.
G

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2019, 00:07
gauravtewary72 wrote:
Am just trying to be a good critique. GMAT is all about how fast one can reason and how good one can manage time. My suggestion is take 5 seconds before approaching the question, you might find a better way to solve it and save on time.

Thank you for your valuable insight :) . Just when i try to solve it here, i tend to write a lot :-D .

Quote which i can relate to.
Many of life's failures happen with people who do not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.
Intern
Intern
S

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2019, 00:12
KanishkM wrote:
gauravtewary72 wrote:

Thank you for your valuable insight :) . Just when i try to solve it here, i tend to write a lot :-D .

So nice of you to accept my insight!
Re: A right angle triangle has the ratio of sides as 3:4:5 respectively.   [#permalink] 09 Jan 2019, 00:12

A right angle triangle has the ratio of sides as 3:4:5 respectively.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics