GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Oct 2019, 11:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A similar type of construction can be found in every Romance

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Current Student
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Oct 2014
Posts: 47
Location: United Arab Emirates
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.56
Re: A similar type of construction can be found in every Romance  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2016, 08:17
kraizada84 wrote:

"Each having" incorrectly modifies "A similar type of construction".

hence incorrect


Not convinced - 'each' begins an appositive phrase (noun modifier) modifying 'every romance language' - the having phrase very well modifies that 'each'
I would have conceded your point if it had been just :-
having a consistent order of impersonal pronoun, indefinite pronoun, and verb
Because then that having phrase would have modified either of the subject or the object, giving rise to an ambiguity.

Either this question is faulty or I am missing something else.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Oct 2016
Posts: 11
Re: A similar type of construction can be found in every Romance  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2016, 21:49
hello, can anyone explain to me why we cant use "all" instead of "each" in this question? plz
Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 2861
Location: Germany
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: A similar type of construction can be found in every Romance  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2016, 12:40
1
bjh wrote:
hello, can anyone explain to me why we cant use "all" instead of "each" in this question? plz


"Each" refers to "every Romance language", which is singular. Therefore "each" is required, rather than "all".

Nonetheless, even if the sentence were "A similar type of construction can be found in all Romance languages", then as well "each" would be better (as a subgroup modifier) because the implied meaning is that each language individually has a consistent order, not that all languages collectively have consistent orders.
Current Student
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Oct 2014
Posts: 47
Location: United Arab Emirates
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.56
A similar type of construction can be found in every Romance  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2016, 12:49
sayantanc2k wrote:
bjh wrote:
hello, can anyone explain to me why we cant use "all" instead of "each" in this question? plz


"Each" refers to "every Romance language", which is singular. Therefore "each" is required, rather than "all".


Nonetheless, even if the sentence were "A similar type of construction can be found in all Romance languages", then as well "each" would be better (as a subgroup modifier) because the implied meaning is that each language individually has a consistent order, not that all languages collectively have consistent orders.


Posted from my mobile device

Posted from my mobile device


Hi sayantanc2k,

Can you elucidate how option C can be rightly eliminated here?

Regards,
Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 2861
Location: Germany
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: A similar type of construction can be found in every Romance  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2016, 14:49
1
sanghar wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
bjh wrote:
hello, can anyone explain to me why we cant use "all" instead of "each" in this question? plz


"Each" refers to "every Romance language", which is singular. Therefore "each" is required, rather than "all".


Nonetheless, even if the sentence were "A similar type of construction can be found in all Romance languages", then as well "each" would be better (as a subgroup modifier) because the implied meaning is that each language individually has a consistent order, not that all languages collectively have consistent orders.


Posted from my mobile device

Posted from my mobile device


Hi sayantanc2k,

Can you elucidate how option C can be rightly eliminated here?

Regards,


I do not see any problem with option C. A subgroup modifier is constructed in the following way:
Any of the SANAM pronouns + a modifier.
Option A uses each + prepositional phrase modifier
Option C uses each + present participle modifier.

I am not aware of any rule that forbids use of present participle modifier within a subgroup modifier. So in my opinion, both A and C are correct.

We need to ask Kaplan (if it is truly Kaplan's question) why they consider that C is wrong .
Current Student
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Oct 2014
Posts: 47
Location: United Arab Emirates
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.56
Re: A similar type of construction can be found in every Romance  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2016, 22:38
sayantanc2k wrote:
sanghar wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
"Each" refers to "every Romance language", which is singular. Therefore "each" is required, rather than "all".


Nonetheless, even if the sentence were "A similar type of construction can be found in all Romance languages", then as well "each" would be better (as a subgroup modifier) because the implied meaning is that each language individually has a consistent order, not that all languages collectively have consistent orders.


Hi sayantanc2k,

Can you elucidate how option C can be rightly eliminated here?

Regards,


I do not see any problem with option C. A subgroup modifier is constructed in the following way:
Any of the SANAM pronouns + a modifier.
Option A uses each + prepositional phrase modifier
Option C uses each + present participle modifier.

I am not aware of any rule that forbids use of present participle modifier within a subgroup modifier. So in my opinion, both A and C are correct.

We need to ask Kaplan (if it is truly Kaplan's question) why they consider that C is wrong .


Agree with you there. Hopefully one of its instructors will respond.
Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 5918
Re: A similar type of construction can be found in every Romance  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2019, 02:07
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________
GMAT Club Bot
Re: A similar type of construction can be found in every Romance   [#permalink] 07 Mar 2019, 02:07

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 27 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

A similar type of construction can be found in every Romance

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne