Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 04:03 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 04:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 204 [15]
Given Kudos: 95
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [13]
Given Kudos: 59
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 342 [8]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: A sniper planning to assassinate a target must be sure that the right [#permalink]
Kudos
Can any one explain why answer is E ?

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 204 [2]
Given Kudos: 95
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: A sniper planning to assassinate a target must be sure that the right [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
oussamasaber wrote:
Can any one explain why answer is E ?

Posted from my mobile device

I Hope you have eliminated all the other choices and wondering why E is right.
in an inference question which has a proper argument ( premise+conclusion) then the assumption is the inference in that question.
it is a pretty rare question type
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 598
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
Hi experts,
Please help to explain why C is not a correct inference. Thanks.
CrackVerbal Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Expert Reply
Pre-thinking:

While this is worded like an inference based question, we can treat it like an assumption based question (strengthening the conclusion). It also has a clear conclusion and several premises on which that conclusion is based..

Conclusion: Using this tool, an assassin will be able to eliminate the cases of mistaken identity.

Premises on which it is based:

i) Software technology that compares a suspect’s facial features or pace with those in records of biometric data can be hindered by a disguise.
ii) The tool can measure, from up to 200 metres away, the minute vibrations induced in clothing by someone’s heartbeat.
iii) Hearts differ in both shape and contraction pattern, so the details of heartbeats vary from person to person.

Prima facie, this appears logical. In order to get a correct assumption, we are looking to rule out any alternative explanations or weakeners. Let us assess the answer options.

(A)Significant research is going on to improve the accuracy of snipers. This does not impact the conclusion in any way since it talks nothing about the new tool or the principles it uses. Irrelevant. Eliminate.

(B)The targets often escape the sniper by changing their appearance. This is explicitly stated in the stimulus and cannot be a strengthener or an inference. Eliminate.

(C)World’s best makeup will also not be able to save a target from sniper once the new tool starts getting used. This is the conclusion and cannot be a strengthener or an inference. Eliminate.

(D)The new tool is an improved version of the commonly used software. This is actually a weakener, if at all, since it may still have the drawbacks of software technology. Eliminate.

(E)The minute vibrations induced in clothing by a person’s heartbeat cannot be manipulated Correct answer. It rules out a weakener.

Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 185 [0]
Given Kudos: 140
Send PM
A sniper planning to assassinate a target must be sure that the right person is in the cross-hairs before pulling the trigger. Forces commonly use software that compares a suspect’s facial features or pace with those in records of biometric data. Such technology can, however, be hindered by a disguise and hence a new tool, which can measure, from up to 200 metres away, the minute vibrations induced in clothing by someone’s heartbeat, is being introduced. Since hearts differ in both shape and contraction pattern, the details of heartbeats vary from person to person. Thus, using this tool, an assassin will be able to eliminate the cases of mistaken identity.

For inference question read the passage carefully

Which of the following can be inferred if the information above is presumed accurate?

(A)Significant research is going on to improve the accuracy of snipers. - Eliminate. No research taking place is mentioned in the paragraph.

(B)The targets often escape the sniper by changing their appearance. - Eliminate. changing appearance is no where mentioned.

(C)World’s best makeup will also not be able to save a target from sniper once the new tool starts getting used. Eliminate. Again, they talked about changing appearance. nothing is mentioned about it in the paragraph. don't make your own assumptions.

(D)The new tool is an improved version of the commonly used software. - Eliminate. is it an improved version? not mentioned anywhere.

(E)The minute vibrations induced in clothing by a person’s heartbeat cannot be manipulated - Correct, it is given in the para see the green highlighted area above
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 598
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
svasan05 wrote:
Pre-thinking:

While this is worded like an inference based question, we can treat it like an assumption based question (strengthening the conclusion). It also has a clear conclusion and several premises on which that conclusion is based..

Conclusion: Using this tool, an assassin will be able to eliminate the cases of mistaken identity.

Premises on which it is based:

i) Software technology that compares a suspect’s facial features or pace with those in records of biometric data can be hindered by a disguise.
ii) The tool can measure, from up to 200 metres away, the minute vibrations induced in clothing by someone’s heartbeat.
iii) Hearts differ in both shape and contraction pattern, so the details of heartbeats vary from person to person.

Prima facie, this appears logical. In order to get a correct assumption, we are looking to rule out any alternative explanations or weakeners. Let us assess the answer options.

(A)Significant research is going on to improve the accuracy of snipers. This does not impact the conclusion in any way since it talks nothing about the new tool or the principles it uses. Irrelevant. Eliminate.

(B)The targets often escape the sniper by changing their appearance. This is explicitly stated in the stimulus and cannot be a strengthener or an inference. Eliminate.

(C)World’s best makeup will also not be able to save a target from sniper once the new tool starts getting used. This is the conclusion and cannot be a strengthener or an inference. Eliminate.

(D)The new tool is an improved version of the commonly used software. This is actually a weakener, if at all, since it may still have the drawbacks of software technology. Eliminate.

(E)The minute vibrations induced in clothing by a person’s heartbeat cannot be manipulated Correct answer. It rules out a weakener.

Hope this helps.

Hi svasan05,
I am still confused with the explanation, would you please help to add more on why we treat this one as an assumption question instead of an inference one.
and why we cannot infer what stated in C. Thank you so much.
CrackVerbal Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
tinbq wrote:
Hi svasan05,
I am still confused with the explanation, would you please help to add more on why we treat this one as an assumption question instead of an inference one.
and why we cannot infer what stated in C. Thank you so much.

Hi tinbq

We can definitely treat it as an inference question as well. However, given the clear premises --> conclusion structure that the stimulus follows, we can also assess it as an assumption based question (in the sense, what needs to be true for the conclusion to be validly drawn from the given premises).

The stimulus states: "Thus, using this tool, an assassin will be able to eliminate the cases of mistaken identity". Thus, it explicitly states that makeup will not help. This will include the "world's best makeup" as well. An inference is something that is derived from the facts presented in the stimulus. Something that is openly stated cannot be an inference (or an assumption, for that matter). Hence, option (C) cannot be the right answer.

Hope this clarifies.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts