It is currently 15 Dec 2017, 08:17

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Olin (St. Louis) R1 | Tuck R1 | Ross R1 | Fuqua R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A study of National football League Statistics over the last ten years

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

CAT Tests
A study of National football League Statistics over the last ten years [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2017, 10:44
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

53% (01:11) correct 47% (01:14) wrong based on 250 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A study of National football League Statistics over the last ten years reveals that the loosing team threw more interceptions than did the winning team in 82 percent of the games played. This statistics clearly indicate that interceptions contribute greatly to team losses. The conclusion in the above argument depends on which of the following assumptions?

a. Fumbles do not hurt a team's chances of winning a game.
b. A team's chances of winning a game are greatly reduced if it throws any interceptions during a game.
c. A team that throws more interceptions than its opponent does and still wins the game must have superior players.
d. Interceptions do not result from a team's falling behind in the game.
e. Interceptions are harmful primarily because they make it easy for the other team to score points.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Expert Post
Math Expert
D

Kudos [?]: 6136 [0], given: 121

Re: A study of National football League Statistics over the last ten years [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2017, 21:47
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
prateek176 wrote:
A study of National football League Statistics over the last ten years reveals that the loosing team threw more interceptions than did the winning team in 82 percent of the games played. This statistics clearly indicate that interceptions contribute greatly to team losses. The conclusion in the above argument depends on which of the following assumptions?

b. A team's chances of winning a game are greatly reduced if it throws any interceptions during a game.
c. A team that throws more interceptions than its opponent does and still wins the game must have superior players.
e. Interceptions are harmful primarily because they make it easy for the other team to score points.

firstly WHAT is conclusion..

Quote:
interceptions contribute greatly to team losses

so assumption has to relate to interceptions and losses....

let us see the choices

we are looking for something related to assumptions and losses/win

simply reiterates the para

we are not talking of players

Yes our answer... the assumption is that it is NOT the opposite . If a team losing makes more interception, the relation between wins and interception falls flat

out of scope

D

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Director
Director
P

Kudos [?]: 167 [0], given: 138

Re: A study of National football League Statistics over the last ten years [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2017, 13:12
Hello chetan2u,

My only point of concern here is that falling behind in a game doesn't mean that the team will loose or has lost. The conclusion is specifically about the team that losses. Certainly a game isn't over until it's over.

On that basis I marked out D and chose A since i thought A is removing any alternate reasoning for the loss. I do understand that as per the premise interceptions are NOT the ONLY cause, so A can't be right; but D isn't making any sense either to me.

Please throw some light on my aforesaid doubt.

Regards

Kudos if my post helps!

Helpful links:
1. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
2. LSAT RC compilation
3. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
4. QOTD RC (Carcass)
5. Challange OG RC

Kudos [?]: 167 [0], given: 138

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2017, 13:26
CR Qs ..password to the test is JAG Educate... https://sites.google.com/justaskgaurav. ... e-101/home

Ideal time for test completion is 18mins

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Expert Post
GMAT Tutor
S

Kudos [?]: 2044 [0], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2017, 16:34
I've seen every edition of the OG dating back more than ten years, and I've never encountered this question before. I would be shocked if this were ever an official question. An official question would not misspell 'losing', but far more importantly, official questions are carefully designed to be culturally neutral. This particular question is almost certainly not; someone who knows what a 'fumble' or an 'interception' is will have an easier time understanding the question than someone who does not know about those things. GMAT Verbal questions are designed to test your verbal reasoning abilities, and not your familiarity with American sports.

GMAC is very careful about this issue, and it's actually one of the things they're looking at when they collect data on experimental questions. This is the kind of question where I'd expect a US test taker and an international test taker of the same ability to perform differently. If GMAC ever used a question like this as an experimental question, that difference would show up in the question statistics they collect. They'd then either discard the question or edit it so that it wasn't unfair to non-Americans.

From a google search I only find one result that attributes the question to a specific source - one very old btg thread claims the question is from OG10. That's a misattribution unless I've somehow missed this question every time I've looked through that book. So anyone worried that this is a realistic (official) question need not be concerned -- you won't see something like this on the real GMAT.

GMAT Tutor in Toronto

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

Kudos [?]: 2044 [0], given: 6

Expert Post
Math Expert
D

A study of National football League Statistics over the last ten years [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2017, 19:22
gmatexam439 wrote:
Hello chetan2u,

My only point of concern here is that falling behind in a game doesn't mean that the team will loose or has lost. The conclusion is specifically about the team that losses. Certainly a game isn't over until it's over.

On that basis I marked out D and chose A since i thought A is removing any alternate reasoning for the loss. I do understand that as per the premise interceptions are NOT the ONLY cause, so A can't be right; but D isn't making any sense either to me.

Please throw some light on my aforesaid doubt.

Regards

Hi...

Many would not know what is fumble.
Yes, one alternate cause of losses but it does not tell us that the losses are because of interceptions.
So here the ASSUMPTION should have covered all areas/elements that could lead to loss not just one part of it.
May be a choice like - fumbles and all other major fouls and faults don't hamper the chances of winning.

Now why D is correct.
Here the ASSUMPTION is vice versa. What if the interception don't lead to losses but team losing/falling behind in an ongoing match starts doing more interceptions in frustration.
You would find some questions on the same logic.

Another example..
Gymnastics has all fit people doing it. So gymnastics leads to a person remaining fit.
BUT if it's other way that only fit people can do gymnastics.

Reasoning that could be again similar...
All Indians moving to US do well. So US contributes to their doing well.

But it may be that only talented people move to US
So it is not US but their talents

So here the ASSUMPTION would be that these people would not have done better had they not moved to US.

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 8

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2017, 04:48
prateek176 wrote:

Conclusion: Interceptions >>Losses
Negation of option D: Falling behind in a game >>Interceptions (which might eventually lead to the loss).
Example of A causes B assuming that B does not cause A.

Option D!

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 8

Re: A study of National football League Statistics over the last ten years   [#permalink] 22 Nov 2017, 04:48

A study of National football League Statistics over the last ten years

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap