GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 26 Apr 2019, 00:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A study published by the Journal of Cognitive Intelligence proves that

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
S
CAT Tests
A study published by the Journal of Cognitive Intelligence proves that  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2019, 06:05
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

72% (01:47) correct 28% (01:47) wrong based on 145 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A study published by the Journal of Cognitive Intelligence proves that dolphins that are provided adequate training from birth are as adept at identifying patterns as humans did and are able to solve problems faster than humans and that when faced with complex decision-making in unknown environments they followed the same processes as humans did.

A. as adept at identifying patterns as humans did and are able to solve problems faster than humans and that when faced with complex decision-making in unknown environments they followed the same processes as humans did

B. as adept at identifying patterns than humans and are able to solve problems faster than humans and that when faced with complex decision-making in unknown environments they followed the same processes as humans do

C. more adept at identifying patterns than humans are, are able to solve problems faster than humans, and when faced with complex decision-making in unknown environments they followed the same processes as humans do

D. as adept at identifying patterns as humans are and are able to solve problems faster than humans and that when faced with complex decision-making in unknown environments they follow the same processes as humans do

E. adept at identifying patterns as humans and are able to solve problems faster than humans and that when faced with complex decision-making in unknown environments they follow the same processes as humans
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: ISB '21, IIMA , IIMB
GPA: 4
WE: Analyst (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: A study published by the Journal of Cognitive Intelligence proves that  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2019, 11:07
Error Analysis
The sentence has verb tense error use of "human did." is incorrect. Since did needs to refer to a verb in the sentence make the comparison logical. It cannot refer to the present tense verb "are".

Answer Choice Analysis

A. as adept at identifying patterns as humans did and are able to solve problems faster than humans and that when faced with complex decision-making in unknown environments they followed the same processes as humans did - incorrect for the reason stated above.

B. as adept at identifying patterns than humans and are able to solve problems faster than humans and that when faced with complex decision-making in unknown environments they followed the same processes as humans do - use of incorrect comparison marker "as ....than". Than should have use of comparative word.

C. more adept at identifying patterns than humans are, are able to solve problems faster than humans, and when faced with complex decision-making in unknown environments they followed the same processes as humans do - 1) Meaning error 2) Also the three phrases are not parallel.

D. as adept at identifying patterns as humans are and are able to solve problems faster than humans and that when faced with complex decision-making in unknown environments they follow the same processes as humans do - correct

E. adept at identifying patterns as humans and are able to solve problems faster than humans and that when faced with complex decision-making in unknown environments they follow the same processes as humans - For comparison "as" should be followed by a clause.
Manager
Manager
S
Re: A study published by the Journal of Cognitive Intelligence proves that  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2019, 04:46
I can understand that C only has meaning error if you compare it with D. Am i missing anything?

shuvodip04 wrote:
Error Analysis
The sentence has verb tense error use of "human did." is incorrect. Since did needs to refer to a verb in the sentence make the comparison logical. It cannot refer to the present tense verb "are".

Answer Choice Analysis

A. as adept at identifying patterns as humans did and are able to solve problems faster than humans and that when faced with complex decision-making in unknown environments they followed the same processes as humans did - incorrect for the reason stated above.

B. as adept at identifying patterns than humans and are able to solve problems faster than humans and that when faced with complex decision-making in unknown environments they followed the same processes as humans do - use of incorrect comparison marker "as ....than". Than should have use of comparative word.

C. more adept at identifying patterns than humans are, are able to solve problems faster than humans, and when faced with complex decision-making in unknown environments they followed the same processes as humans do - 1) Meaning error 2) Also the three phrases are not parallel.

D. as adept at identifying patterns as humans are and are able to solve problems faster than humans and that when faced with complex decision-making in unknown environments they follow the same processes as humans do - correct

E. adept at identifying patterns as humans and are able to solve problems faster than humans and that when faced with complex decision-making in unknown environments they follow the same processes as humans - For comparison "as" should be followed by a clause.

Posted from my mobile device
S
A study published by the Journal of Cognitive Intelligence proves that  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2019, 04:48
Got the issues.. C has the issue with parallelism.

btrg wrote:
I can understand that C only has meaning error if you compare it with D. Am i missing anything?

shuvodip04 wrote:
Error Analysis

Answer Choice Analysis

Posted from my mobile device

A study published by the Journal of Cognitive Intelligence proves that   [#permalink] 24 Mar 2019, 04:48

A study published by the Journal of Cognitive Intelligence proves that

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap