It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 07:17

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A Sumatran rhinoceros was recently born in a Cincinnati zoo

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
D

Kudos [?]: 18057 [0], given: 1990

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
A Sumatran rhinoceros was recently born in a Cincinnati zoo [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2014, 12:39
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

73% (00:58) correct 27% (01:23) wrong based on 290 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

New GMAT Club Project of reviving hardest questions! Post answers and explanations to get kudos

A Sumatran rhinoceros was recently born in a Cincinnati zoo, the first birth in captivity of that species in more than a century, making it a landmark development for the effort to save the endangered animal.

A) A Sumatran rhinoceros was recently born in a Cincinnati zoo, the first birth in captivity of that species in more than a century, making it
B) A Sumatran rhinoceros was recently born in a Cincinnati zoo, and as the first birth of that species in captivity for more than a century, it is
C) A Sumatran rhinoceros recently born in a Cincinnati zoo, as the first birth for that species in captivity for over a century, is
D) The recent birth of a Sumatran rhinoceros in a Cincinnati zoo, the first birth in captivity for that species in over a century, is
E) The recent birth of a Sumatran rhinoceros, as the first birth in over a century of that species in captivity, took place in a Cincinnati zoo,
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 18057 [0], given: 1990

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 59 [3], given: 66

Concentration: Marketing

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2014, 14:47
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
A Sumatran rhinoceros was recently born in a Cincinnati zoo, the first birth in captivity of that species in more than a century, making it a landmark development for the effort to save the endangered animal.

At first glance we notice that the non-underlined portion of the sentence "a landmark development for the effort to save the endangered animal," can not emphasize the rhinoceros itself. It is the BIRTH of the rhino that is a landmark development. If you have any doubts notice if you remove the middle it states that

The rhino was born in the zoo, making it a landmark for the effort to save the animal. The rhino makes it possible to save the animal? Nope...

With this we can eliminate A, B, C

A) A Sumatran rhinoceros was recently born in a Cincinnati zoo, the first birth in captivity of that species in more than a century, making it
B) A Sumatran rhinoceros was recently born in a Cincinnati zoo, and as the first birth of that species in captivity for more than a century, it is
C) A Sumatran rhinoceros recently born in a Cincinnati zoo, as the first birth for that species in captivity for over a century, is

We are left with D and E.

D) The recent birth of a Sumatran rhinoceros in a Cincinnati zoo, the first birth in captivity for that species in over a century, is
E) The recent birth of a Sumatran rhinoceros, as the first birth in over a century of that species in captivity, took place in a Cincinnati zoo,

Reading E we notice it's incredibly wordy and phrased very awkwardly. We are left with D.

Kudos [?]: 59 [3], given: 66

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 103

Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.94

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2014, 09:47
This post was
BOOKMARKED

A) A Sumatran rhinoceros was recently born in a Cincinnati zoo, the first birth in captivity of that species in more than a century, making it--it doesn't have a clear antecedent--also how can the rhino save its species?
B) A Sumatran rhinoceros was recently born in a Cincinnati zoo, and as the first birth of that species in captivity for more than a century, it is--the rhino is a landmark development--again, the wrong meaning is conveyed
C) A Sumatran rhinoceros recently born in a Cincinnati zoo, as the first birth for that species in captivity for over a century, is--again, the rhino is landmark effort to save itself? Maybe... but probably not
D) The recent birth of a Sumatran rhinoceros in a Cincinnati zoo, the first birth in captivity for that species in over a century, is--yes, finally--the birth is the landmark development--this one looks good
E) The recent birth of a Sumatran rhinoceros, as the first birth in over a century of that species in captivity, took place in a Cincinnati zoo,--awkward construction and the sentence as a whole isn't really a sentence

Choice D

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 103

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: A Sumatran rhinoceros was recently born in a Cincinnati zoo [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Feb 2016, 01:52
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 172 [0], given: 916

Show Tags

New post 29 Feb 2016, 01:59
why e is wrong?

pls, help . thank you

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Kudos [?]: 172 [0], given: 916

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 23

Concentration: International Business, Organizational Behavior
GPA: 3.49
WE: Web Development (Insurance)

Show Tags

New post 29 Feb 2016, 03:19
Hi thangvietnam

the first birth in over a century of that species in captivity : The modifiers are all messed up... Does it mean first birth after a 100 years of captivity of that animals? Or the first birth in captivity?

: the first birth in captivity for that species in over a century phrases it correctly.

Kudos if I helped ;)

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 23

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 5

Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V30
GPA: 3.31
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2017, 19:07

correct. the first birth refers to the recent birth.perfect

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 5

Re: A Sumatran rhinoceros was recently born in a Cincinnati zoo   [#permalink] 05 Oct 2017, 19:07

A Sumatran rhinoceros was recently born in a Cincinnati zoo

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap