GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Dec 2018, 09:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

December 16, 2018

December 16, 2018

03:00 PM EST

04:00 PM EST

Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

December 16, 2018

December 16, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.

A Sumatran rhinoceros was recently born in a Cincinnati zoo, the first

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
A Sumatran rhinoceros was recently born in a Cincinnati zoo, the first  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 01 Oct 2018, 20:39
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

73% (00:45) correct 27% (00:49) wrong based on 976 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A Sumatran rhinoceros was recently born in a Cincinnati zoo, the first birth in captivity of that species in more than a century, making it a landmark development for the effort to save the endangered animal.

(A) A Sumatran rhinoceros was recently born in a Cincinnati zoo, the first birth in captivity of that species in more than a century, making it

(B) A Sumatran rhinoceros was recently born in a Cincinnati zoo, and as the first birth of that species in captivity for more than a century, it is

(C) A Sumatran rhinoceros recently born in a Cincinnati zoo, as the first birth for that species in captivity for over a century, is

(D) The recent birth of a Sumatran rhinoceros in a Cincinnati zoo, the first birth in captivity for that species in over a century, is

(E) The recent birth of a Sumatran rhinoceros, as the first birth in over a century of that species in captivity, took place in a Cincinnati zoo,

Read my posts...
What are modifiers ??

Originally posted by sivasanjeev on 25 Jan 2014, 23:12.
Last edited by Bunuel on 01 Oct 2018, 20:39, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: A Sumatran rhinoceros was recently born in a Cincinnati zoo, the first  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2014, 07:56
The Rhinoceros is not a landmark development; the recent birth in captivity is. Hence ABC fall because of improper modification.

Between D and E, E is faulty without a working verb: Hence D is the choice

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Most Helpful Community Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE: Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A Sumatran rhinoceros was recently born in a Cincinnati zoo, the first  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2014, 18:34
A) A Sumatran rhinoceros was recently born in a Cincinnati zoo, the first birth in captivity of that species in more than a century, making it "the first birth" illogically describes either rhinoceros or Cincinnati zoo; "it" does not have a logical referent.

B) A Sumatran rhinoceros was recently born in a Cincinnati zoo, and as the first birth of that species in captivity for more than a century, it is
"And" conjunction changes the meaning of the sentence; "it" does not have a logical referent"

C) A Sumatran rhinoceros recently born in a Cincinnati zoo, as the first birth for that species in captivity for over a century, is A rhinoceros is not a landmark development, but the birth of one

D) The recent birth of a Sumatran rhinoceros in a Cincinnati zoo, the first birth in captivity for that species in over a century, is OK

E) The recent birth of a Sumatran rhinoceros, as the first birth in over a century of that species in captivity, took place in a Cincinnati zoo, "the first birth in over a century of that species" indicates a different meaning.
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2014, 09:31
In addition to what daagh mentions, I believe that "it" in A does not have a proper referent. Also, in hindsight it is easy to see that "captivity of that species" is incorrect; "captivity for that species" is correct.
Director
Director
B
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 11 Nov 2014, 02:36
A Sumatran rhinoceros was recently born in a Cincinnati zoo, the first birth in captivity of that species in more than a century, making it a landmark development for the effort to save the endangered animal.

A) A Sumatran rhinoceros was recently born in a Cincinnati zoo, the first birth in captivity of that species in more than a century, making it
B) A Sumatran rhinoceros was recently born in a Cincinnati zoo, and as the first birth of that species in captivity for more than a century, it is
C) A Sumatran rhinoceros recently born in a Cincinnati zoo, as the first birth for that species in captivity for over a century, is
D) The recent birth of a Sumatran rhinoceros in a Cincinnati zoo, the first birth in captivity for that species in over a century, is
E) The recent birth of a Sumatran rhinoceros, as the first birth in over a century of that species in captivity, took place in a Cincinnati zoo,

Meaning : A Sumatran rhinoceros was recently born in a Cincinnati zoo. The birth of the rhinoceros is the first birth in over a century of that species, making it a landmark development for the effort to save the endangered animal.

POE:
A) The first birth should point to a noun in the previous clause, but there is no noun in the previous clause – “A Sumatran rhinoceros was recently born in a Cincinnati zoo”.
B) makes the modifier as parallel entity and that changes the meaning.
C) “as the first birth for the species”. What as the first birth is not clear.
E) “as the first birth”. What as the first birth is not clear.

Option D) The recent birth of a Sumatran rhinoceros in a Cincinnati zoo, the first birth in captivity for that species in over a century, is a landmark development for the effort to save the endangered animal.
I chose Option D) for the following reasons:
1) “the first birth” modifies the “recent birth” in the previous clause.
2) If I remove the modifier “, the first birth in captivity for that species in over a century”, the original sentence alone makes perfect sense.

Doubts:
1) Is the option D) falls in the category of noun+noun modifier?
Normally I have seen the following structure for noun+noun modifier
clause,noun that/which modifier

Here there is no mention of “that/which” and gives an impression of noun modifier and as I know noun modifier can only modify only the close nouns.

Can sombody please clarify?

Thanks,
Kinjal
My Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267.html#p1449379
My Application Experience : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267-40.html#p1516961
Linkedin : https://www.linkedin.com/in/kinjal-das/

Please click on Kudos, if you think the post is helpful

Originally posted by kinjiGC on 13 Apr 2014, 05:02.
Last edited by kinjiGC on 11 Nov 2014, 02:36, edited 1 time in total.
e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2014, 16:59
kinjiGC wrote:
Doubts:
1) Is the option D) falls in the category of noun+noun modifier?
Normally I have seen the following structure for noun+noun modifier
clause,noun that/which modifier

Here there is no mention of “that/which” and gives an impression of noun modifier and as I know noun modifier can only modify only the close nouns.

Can sombody please clarify?

Hi @ kinjiGC,
Thank you for posting your detailed analysis of the question. I am so glad that you are applying the e-GMAT 3-step process so very well. The only thing that I would like to see is the sentence structure analysis. But I believe you are doing that in your head in order to arrive at the meaning of the sentence.
Now let's come to your doubt. I have presented the complete sentence with Choice D below:

The recent birth of a Sumatran rhinoceros in a Cincinnati zoo, the first birth in captivity for that species in over a century, is a landmark development for the effort to save the endangered animal.

The recent birth of a Sumatran rhinoceros in a Cincinnati zoo, the first birth in captivity for that species in over a century, is a landmark development for the effort to save the endangered animal.

In this sentence the colored entities are noun modifiers. The former "blue" modifies "recent birth". The latter (the green one) modifies the "recent birth" as well. I am not sure why you felt that there is a noun + noun modifier in this choice.

I hope this clarifies your doubt. Do let me know if you have any other doubts about this.
Regards,
Payal

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2014, 14:47

At first glance we notice that the non-underlined portion of the sentence "a landmark development for the effort to save the endangered animal," can not emphasize the rhinoceros itself. It is the BIRTH of the rhino that is a landmark development. If you have any doubts notice if you remove the middle it states that

The rhino was born in the zoo, making it a landmark for the effort to save the animal. The rhino makes it possible to save the animal? Nope...

With this we can eliminate A, B, C

A) A Sumatran rhinoceros was recently born in a Cincinnati zoo, the first birth in captivity of that species in more than a century, making it
C) A Sumatran rhinoceros recently born in a Cincinnati zoo, as the first birth for that species in captivity for over a century, is

We are left with D and E.

D) The recent birth of a Sumatran rhinoceros in a Cincinnati zoo, the first birth in captivity for that species in over a century, is
E) The recent birth of a Sumatran rhinoceros, as the first birth in over a century of that species in captivity, took place in a Cincinnati zoo,

Reading E we notice it's incredibly wordy and phrased very awkwardly. We are left with D.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.94

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2014, 09:47

A) A Sumatran rhinoceros was recently born in a Cincinnati zoo, the first birth in captivity of that species in more than a century, making it--it doesn't have a clear antecedent--also how can the rhino save its species?
B) A Sumatran rhinoceros was recently born in a Cincinnati zoo, and as the first birth of that species in captivity for more than a century, it is--the rhino is a landmark development--again, the wrong meaning is conveyed
C) A Sumatran rhinoceros recently born in a Cincinnati zoo, as the first birth for that species in captivity for over a century, is--again, the rhino is landmark effort to save itself? Maybe... but probably not
D) The recent birth of a Sumatran rhinoceros in a Cincinnati zoo, the first birth in captivity for that species in over a century, is--yes, finally--the birth is the landmark development--this one looks good
E) The recent birth of a Sumatran rhinoceros, as the first birth in over a century of that species in captivity, took place in a Cincinnati zoo,--awkward construction and the sentence as a whole isn't really a sentence

Choice D
Manager
Manager
B
Schools: Babson '20
GPA: 3.6

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2018, 22:51
Hi Daagh

Doubt in this sentence::

doesn't making it refer to the first birth in captivity -- or does it refer to the Sumatran Rhinocerous -- please can you explain?

Is it that the first birth is just a modifier and thus we ignore that sentence and thus making it refers to the Rhinocerious?

I thought the "making it" refers to the previous sentence

daagh wrote:
The Rhinoceros is not a landmark development; the recent birth in captivity is. Hence ABC fall because of improper modification.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2018, 15:54
cuhmoon wrote:
Hi Daagh

Doubt in this sentence::

doesn't making it refer to the first birth in captivity -- or does it refer to the Sumatran Rhinocerous -- please can you explain?

Is it that the first birth is just a modifier and thus we ignore that sentence and thus making it refers to the Rhinocerious?

I thought the "making it" refers to the previous sentence

daagh wrote:

In the version created via the use of (A), the participial modifier "making it a landmark development for the effort to save the endangered animal" modifies the preceding clause, "A Sumatran rhinoceros was recently born in a Cincinnati zoo." "the first birth in captivity of that species in more than a century," modifies that clause as well.

The agent of "making" is "A Sumatran rhinoceros." So, the modifier conveys that a Sumatran rhinoceros made something, "it," a landmark development. Whether that something is the birth of the rhinoceros or the rhinoceros itself is not clear, and, either way, the sentence does not make sense.

Marty Murray
GMAT Coach
m.w.murray@hotmail.com
http://infinitemindprep.com

GMAT Club Bot
Re: A Sumatran rhinoceros was recently born in a Cincinnati zoo, the first &nbs [#permalink] 01 Oct 2018, 15:54

A Sumatran rhinoceros was recently born in a Cincinnati zoo, the first

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap