Last visit was: 31 Aug 2024, 16:52 It is currently 31 Aug 2024, 16:52
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [17]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1917 [1]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.67
WE:Pharmaceuticals (Health Care)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1769 [2]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '18 (D)
GPA: 3.97
WE:Project Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [1]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: A ten-gram piece of a certain alloy contains only gold and silver. If [#permalink]
Bookmarks
grinenkiv wrote:
A ten-gram piece of a certain alloy contains only gold and silver. If the piece currently contains exactly 3 grams of silver, how many more grams of gold must be added to the piece so that the resulting piece is 10 percent silver?

A. 30

B. 27

C. 25

D. 20

E. 17

Current Composition : 10Grams = 7Gold + 3Silver

Future If 3G of S is 10% then total must be 30Grams => the rest 27G is Gold

We already have 7Grams of gold, So 27-7 = 20G of gold must be added to piece
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 23077 [0]
Given Kudos: 286
Send PM
Re: A ten-gram piece of a certain alloy contains only gold and silver. If [#permalink]
Expert Reply
grinenkiv wrote:
A ten-gram piece of a certain alloy contains only gold and silver. If the piece currently contains exactly 3 grams of silver, how many more grams of gold must be added to the piece so that the resulting piece is 10 percent silver?

A. 30

B. 27

C. 25

D. 20

E. 17

Let x = the number of grams of gold that must be added to the piece so that the resulting piece is 10 percent silver. We can create the equation:

3/(10 + x) = 1/10

10 + x = 30

x = 20

Alternate Solution:

As the number of grams of silver in the alloy after the addition of gold does not change, the resulting alloy will contain 3 grams of silver as well. If the resulting piece is 10% silver, then the resulting piece must weigh 30 grams (so that 10% of it is 3 grams). Since the original piece was 10 grams, 30 - 10 = 20 grams of gold must be added.

Answer: D
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 31157 [0]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
grinenkiv wrote:

A. 30

B. 27

C. 25

D. 20

E. 17

GIVEN: The piece weighs 10 grams. The piece contains 3 grams of silver, which means the remaining 7 grams are gold
Let x = the number of EXTRA grams of gold needed for the piece to be 10 percent silver.
With the addition of x grams of gold, the NEW weight of the piece = 10 + x

How many more grams of gold must be added to the piece so that the resulting piece is 10 percent silver?
We want: (grams of silver)/(TOTAL weight of piece) = 10%
Fill in values to get: 3/(10 + x) = 1/10 (aka 10%)
Cross multiply to get: (1)(10 + x) = (3)(10)
Simplify to get: 10 + x = 30
Solve: x = 20

Answer: D

Cheers,
Brent
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1648 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
grinenkiv wrote:

A. 30

B. 27

C. 25

D. 20

E. 17

let x=grams of gold to be added
7+x=.9(10+x)→
x=20 grams
D
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 432 [0]
Given Kudos: 778
Send PM
I did the problem this way.
Initially gold is 70% and silver is 30% in mix.
Now I add x gram of 100% pure gold to make final mix 10% of silver and the remaining 90% of gold.
By using alligation method:
70%............100%
...........90%.....
10/20= 7/x
x=14

Please tell me where I am wrong!
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 872 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
95291 posts