It is currently 23 Nov 2017, 20:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A ten-year comparison between Brazilian and Canadian crops

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 107 [3], given: 16

GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.9
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
A ten-year comparison between Brazilian and Canadian crops [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2012, 09:23
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

58% (01:51) correct 42% (01:43) wrong based on 356 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A ten-year comparison between Brazilian and Canadian crops showed that Brazilian yields are 68% of Canadian yields when compared on the basis of per planted acre. However, Brazilian yields are 115% of Canadian yields when measured per agricultural acre.

Based on this information, which of the following can most reliably be inferred about Brazilian and Canadian agriculture over this time period?

A) A greater percentage of Canadian agricultural acreage was unplanted than of Brazilian agricultural acreage.
B) A majority of Canadian acreage is unplanted.
C) More total acres were unplanted in Canada than in Brazil.
D) Brazil had more acres planted than unplanted while Canada has more acres unplanted than planted.
E) Brazil produced more total crops than Canada.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 107 [3], given: 16

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 16

Re: A ten-year comparison between Brazilian and Canadian crops [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2012, 09:24
It was a tough one for me. Can anybody explain how to discard the options in such questions?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 461 [0], given: 50

Schools: IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2012, 10:04
I can only discard option E here. I think its a PS question, not a CR
Definitely one has to form some mathematical equations/ratios to eliminate answer choices.

Regards
SD
-----------------------------
Press Kudos if you like my post.
Debrief 610-540-580-710(Long Journey): http://gmatclub.com/forum/from-600-540-580-710-finally-achieved-in-4th-attempt-142456.html

Kudos [?]: 461 [0], given: 50

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
GMAT Tutor
B

Kudos [?]: 2010 [3], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2012, 11:48
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
mehulsayani wrote:
A ten-year comparison between Brazilian and Canadian crops showed that Brazilian yields are 68% of Canadian yields when compared on the basis of per planted acre. However, Brazilian yields are 115% of Canadian yields when measured per agricultural acre.

Based on this information, which of the following can most reliably be inferred about Brazilian and Canadian agriculture over this time period?

A) A greater percentage of Canadian agricultural acreage was unplanted than of Brazilian agricultural acreage.
D) Brazil had more acres planted than unplanted while Canada has more acres unplanted than planted.

It's a confusingly worded question, but it tests something many CR questions test: do you confuse ratios/percentages with actual numbers. You can rule out C and E instantly, since the stem only talks about ratios, and C and E talk about actual numbers. You can also rule out D without even reading the stem, since if D is true, then A would also need to be true (D is a special case of A). There cannot be 2 correct answers to a GMAT question, so D cannot be right. So if you can see that B is not a valid inference, you can be sure A is right.

But we can see why A is correct. The key distinction in the question is between "planted acres" and "agricultural acres". I think we're meant to interpret "planted acres" as land used specifically for crops, and "agricultural acres" as all land available - some of that land will be used for crops, but some might be used for grazing cattle or some other purpose.

The stem tells us that "Brazilian yields are 68% of Canadian yields per planted acre." That means: for each acre they use for planting, Canada gets more crops. So if Brazil and Canada were each planting on an exactly equal proportion of their agricultural land, Canada would get a higher yield per acre, because they're more efficient at farming. But we learn in the second sentence that is not the case. When you look at all land, planted or not, Brazil gets a higher yield per acre. So Brazil must be planting on more of its land than Canada is to compensate for their lower efficiency per acre planted. That's what A says.

GMAT Tutor in Toronto

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

Kudos [?]: 2010 [3], given: 6

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2012, 12:26
IanStewart wrote:
mehulsayani wrote:

It's a confusingly worded question, but it tests something many CR questions test: do you confuse ratios/percentages with actual numbers. You can rule out C and E instantly, since the stem only talks about ratios, and C and E talk about actual numbers. You can also rule out D without even reading the stem, since if D is true, then A would also need to be true (D is a special case of A). There cannot be 2 correct answers to a GMAT question, so D cannot be right. So if you can see that B is not a valid inference, you can be sure A is right.

But we can see why A is correct. The key distinction in the question is between "planted acres" and "agricultural acres". I think we're meant to interpret "planted acres" as land used specifically for crops, and "agricultural acres" as all land available - some of that land will be used for crops, but some might be used for grazing cattle or some other purpose.

The stem tells us that "Brazilian yields are 68% of Canadian yields per planted acre." That means: for each acre they use for planting, Canada gets more crops. So if Brazil and Canada were each planting on an exactly equal proportion of their agricultural land, Canada would get a higher yield per acre, because they're more efficient at farming. But we learn in the second sentence that is not the case. When you look at all land, planted or not, Brazil gets a higher yield per acre. So Brazil must be planting on more of its land than Canada is to compensate for their lower efficiency per acre planted. That's what A says.

Thanks a lot for ur explanation :) But, how did u figure out that D was a special case of A? I was confused between A and D only, but marked D, but both seemed the same to me.

Expert Post
GMAT Tutor
B

Kudos [?]: 2010 [0], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2012, 13:28
mehulsayani wrote:

But, how did u figure out that D was a special case of A? I was confused between A and D only, but marked D, but both seemed the same to me.

D says "more than half of the acres in Brazil are planted, while less than half of the acres in Canada are planted". If that's true, then certainly a higher % of acres are planted in Brazil than in Canada, which is what A says. So if D is a correct answer to this question, then A would also need to be a correct answer, and since questions can't have 2 correct answers, logically D just cannot be right.

GMAT Tutor in Toronto

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

Kudos [?]: 2010 [0], given: 6

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2014, 01:05
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 12

GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.56
WE: Marketing (Telecommunications)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2014, 22:54
B(planted)=.68C(Planted)
B(Agr)=1.15C(Agr)
for these variables the yield is constant ,only factor that changes is the number of acres for ex: B(planted) = Total Yeild/Number of Planted acres so for B(planted) value to increase then Number of planted acres must decrease . This means

If C(Planted)>B planted & C(Agr)< B(Agr) means the Agr area in canada must have increased at a higher proportion than Agr area in Brazil

I got the and wrong btw …

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 12

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 55 [2], given: 16

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2014, 12:16
This post received
KUDOS
If you are unsure on these type of number questions, here is a good guessing tip :) (got it from PowerBible CR)

1, If questions only states percentage in the stimulus ----> Choose answer with percentage
2, If questions only states numbers in the stimulus ----> Choose answer with numbers

If we use the guessing strategy on this particular question, we choose A and get a correct answer 8-)

Feel free to message if you have any questions :D

Kudos [?]: 55 [2], given: 16

Non-Human User

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2016, 01:02
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 963

Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2017, 12:37
my 2 cents:
per planted acre - B = 0.68*C
i.e. (all the yield produced in B)/(all the PLANTED AGRICULTURAL land in B) &
(all the yield produced in C)/(all the PLANTED AGRICULTURAL land in C)

whereas

per agricultural acre - B = 1.15*C
i.e. (all the yield produced in B)/(all the PLANTED + UNPLANTED AGRICULTURAL land in B) &
(all the yield produced in C)/(all the PLANTED + UNPLANTED AGRICULTURAL land in C)

Thus what A is saying is that - there is a greater portion of unplanted agricultural land in C than in B
and D (which is what i selected and got wrong!!!) means -
D - B has => planted acre > unplanted acre and C has planted acre < unplanted acre
Well there is no way to say this is true with certainty and in inference questions we NEED answer to/must be TRUE!!!

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 963

A ten-year comparison between Brazilian and Canadian crops   [#permalink] 23 Oct 2017, 12:37

A ten-year comparison between Brazilian and Canadian crops

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap