Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:04 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64918 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64918 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: According to research covering the last decade, the average number of [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
vinayakjjw wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
VKat wrote:
Hello expert,
somewhere i studied that options using "these" word should be discarded outright..as it is not of GMAT kind.. is it correct?

I don't think that's true at all. There's nothing wrong with using the word "these." "These" is just an article that indicates specificity: "These OG explanations drive me crazy sometimes." That's perfectly fine.

If you find the reference, let me know. It's possible that whatever you read was simply saying that you can't use "these" in some specific context. But "these" certainly isn't automatically wrong.

Why are we not discarding options that say "these chains" for this question?
These would only make sense with the antecedent - "high end hotel chains" and not "high-end hotel", but now as soon as you plug these in option B and D then options look like this - ......"high end hotel chains chains than for" and ".......high end hotel chains chains grew faster than did".

Where am i going wrong? GMATNinja

'these' is a demonstrative but it can be used as a pronoun or a determiner (before a noun as an adjective).

I will take these. (pronoun - replaces a noun)
I will take these apples. (determiner - describes the noun)

In these options, 'these chains' uses 'these' as a determiner. It doesn't replace the previous noun. It tells us that we are talking about the same chains.
Hence, the usage is correct.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1531
Send PM
Re: According to research covering the last decade, the average number of [#permalink]
GMATNinja

(E) as compared to the hotel industry average for this period, but their occupancy and room rates grew faster than they did for

I understand that 'their' refers to high-end hotel chains but why can't 'they' refer to the plural noun 'occupancy and room rates". Why is the usage of 'they' incorrect here?
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Vegita wrote:
GMATNinja

(E) as compared to the hotel industry average for this period, but their occupancy and room rates grew faster than they did for

I understand that 'their' refers to high-end hotel chains but why can't 'they' refer to the plural noun 'occupancy and room rates". Why is the usage of 'they' incorrect here?

Hello Vegita,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, a pronoun, and its derivatives can only have one referent in a given sentence.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1531
Send PM
Hi ExpertsGlobal5

Could you please elaborate on "a pronoun, and its derivatives can only have one referent in a given sentence"? Sorry, but I don't think I understand.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
leanhdung wrote:
According to research covering the last decade, the average number of rooms added by high-end hotel chains was lower than what the hotel industry average did for this period, but their occupancy and room rates grew faster than the average hotel.

(A) than what the hotel industry average did for this period, but their occupancy and room rates grew faster than

(B) than the hotel industry average for this period, but occupancy and room rates grew faster for these chains than for

(C) as compared to the hotel industry average for this period, but occupancy and room rates for them grew faster than with

(D) as compared to what the hotel industry average had been for this period, but occupancy and room rates for these chains grew faster than did

Is it true that the phrase”as compared to…” is not preferred on the GMAT? Because i eliminated C,D,E citing this as a reason.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Vegita wrote:
GMATNinja

The first problem is straightforward: we have two plural pronouns (they and their) referring to two DIFFERENT plural nouns, and that's confusing. Is it a deal-breaker? Maybe not, but it's not great.

Also, there are some funky meaning issues created by the pronouns in (E). In (E), "their" refers to the "high-end hotel chains", and here's what that gives us:

Quote:
(E) as compared to the hotel industry average for this period, but high-end hotel chains' occupancy and room rates grew faster than they did for

Here's where it gets funky: "they" seems to refer back to "THEIR occupancy and room rates," even though, logically, we want it to refer to "occupancy and room rates" only (without the "their"). Something like "those of the average hotel" probably would have been clearer.

(B) avoids that confusion entirely. Is (E) WRONG in a vacuum? Maybe not, but (B) is much better.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [2]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
roshanoronha wrote:
leanhdung wrote:
According to research covering the last decade, the average number of rooms added by high-end hotel chains was lower than what the hotel industry average did for this period, but their occupancy and room rates grew faster than the average hotel.

(A) than what the hotel industry average did for this period, but their occupancy and room rates grew faster than

(B) than the hotel industry average for this period, but occupancy and room rates grew faster for these chains than for

(C) as compared to the hotel industry average for this period, but occupancy and room rates for them grew faster than with

(D) as compared to what the hotel industry average had been for this period, but occupancy and room rates for these chains grew faster than did

Is it true that the phrase”as compared to…” is not preferred on the GMAT? Because i eliminated C,D,E citing this as a reason.

In general, it's not a great strategy to create a list of "rules" about things that the GMAT likes (or doesn't like). There are very few absolute rules that will always work on the GMAT, and just when we think we've come up with such a "rule," the GMAT tends to give us an exception to that so-called rule. Also, if you're trying to memorize your way through SC, then you aren't practicing the important stuff: reading carefully and thinking about meaning.

The phrase "as compared to" is probably wrong, but rather than go on autopilot and eliminate those three without thinking, take the extra few seconds to read the rest of the sentence -- you'll almost certainly find other evidence to support eliminating those answer choices. Even if you don't, you'll develop better habits that will help you on test day.

I hope that helps a bit!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts