GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Dec 2018, 23:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

December 15, 2018

December 15, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

December 15, 2018

December 15, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Get the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)

According to research covering the last decade, the average number of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
G
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Fisher '19 (M)
GPA: 3.71
Reviews Badge
According to research covering the last decade, the average number of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2015, 05:04
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

79% (01:06) correct 21% (01:23) wrong based on 1251 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

According to research covering the last decade, the average number of rooms added by high-end hotel chains was lower than what the hotel industry average did for this period, but their occupancy and room rates grew faster than the average hotel.

(A) than what the hotel industry average did for this period, but their occupancy and room rates grew faster than
(B) than the hotel industry average for this period, but occupancy and room rates grew faster for these chains than for
(C) as compared to the hotel industry average for this period, but occupancy and room rates for them grew faster than with
(D) as compared to what the hotel industry average had been for this period, but occupancy and room rates for these chains grew faster than did
(E) as compared to the hotel industry average for this period, but their occupancy and room rates grew faster than they did for
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: According to research covering the last decade, the average number of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2017, 06:39
Top Contributor
Bumping this one up! Not necessarily GMAT's most exciting work, but let's see if it sparks more interest this time...

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: According to research covering the last decade, the average number of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2017, 02:04
Top Contributor
According to research covering the last decade, the average number of rooms added by high-end hotel chains was lower than what the hotel industry average did for this period, but their occupancy and room rates grew faster than the average hotel.

(A) than what the hotel industry average did for this period, but their occupancy and room rates grew faster than ---- than the average hotel is a wrong comparison.
(B) than the hotel industry average for this period, but occupancy and room rates grew faster for these chains than for ---aster for these … than for the average hotel is the correct comparison; best choice.
(C) as compared to the hotel industry average for this period, but occupancy and room rates for them grew faster than with --- for them than with is un//.
(D) as compared to what the hotel industry average had been for this period, but occupancy and room rates for these chains grew faster than did --- what had been is wrong tense; for these chains grew faster than did the average hotel is a wrong comparison.
(E) as compared to the hotel industry average for this period, but 'their' grew faster than they did for' --- problem with the pronoun 'they'. 'Their' stands for the chains while 'they' stands for occupancy and room rates; 'they' standing for the chains is still worse

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GPA: 3.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2017, 22:25
Hi GMATNinja,

First thing that came to my mind after looking at answer choice B is-- the number of rooms of high end hotel chains are compared with average hotel industry(while correct comparison should be between the number of rooms of two hotels). However, if we look for other errors in other options, this choice is perfect. How can we sure that this comaprison in this case is correct?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2017, 07:12
Top Contributor
Quote:
First thing that came to my mind after looking at answer choice B is-- the number of rooms of high end hotel chains are compared with average hotel industry(while correct comparison should be between the number of rooms of two hotels). However, if we look for other errors in other options, this choice is perfect. How can we sure that this comaprison in this case is correct?

In a way, I think you answered your own question, AR15J! You can be sure that this comparison is correct because the other four answer choices are very thoroughly wrong. :) On GMAT verbal questions, your job is always to find four wrong answers -- not necessarily one perfect, wonderful, correct answer.

Other than process of elimination, I'm not sure how to be 100% certain that the comparison is correct, but it might help to separate out some of the language in the comparisons. Here's (B) again:

Quote:
(B) According to research covering the last decade, the average number of rooms added by high-end hotel chains was lower than the hotel industry average for this period, but occupancy and room rates grew faster for these chains than for the average hotel.

That first one (in green) looks pretty good: "the average number of rooms added was lower than... the hotel industry average." Not bad! The second comparison (in blue) is arguably even better: "rates grew faster for these chains than for the average hotel." I'm not sure that these could possibly be a whole lot better.

I hope this helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.56
Premium Member Reviews Badge
According to research covering the last decade, the average number of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2017, 22:34

(A) than what the hotel industry average did for this period, but their occupancy and room rates grew faster than

(B) than the hotel industry average for this period, but occupancy and room rates grew faster for these chains than for

(C) as compared to the hotel industry average for this period, but occupancy and room rates for them grew faster than with

(D) as compared to what the hotel industry average had been for this period, but occupancy and room rates for these chains grew faster than did

(E) as compared to the hotel industry average for this period, but their occupancy and room rates grew faster than they did for

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2017, 10:20
Hello expert,
somewhere i studied that options using "these" word should be discarded outright..as it is not of GMAT kind.. is it correct?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2017, 10:35
VKat wrote:
Hello expert,
somewhere i studied that options using "these" word should be discarded outright..as it is not of GMAT kind.. is it correct?

I don't think that's true at all. There's nothing wrong with using the word "these." "These" is just an article that indicates specificity: "These OG explanations drive me crazy sometimes." That's perfectly fine.

If you find the reference, let me know. It's possible that whatever you read was simply saying that you can't use "these" in some specific context. But "these" certainly isn't automatically wrong.

Need an expert reply?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Re: Comparison SC  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2017, 01:04
Rah.ul wrote:
According to research covering the last decade, the average number of rooms added
by high-end hotel chains was lower than what the hotel industry average did for
this period, but their occupancy and room rates grew faster than
the average hotel.

(A) than what the hotel industry average did for this period, but their
occupancy and room rates grew faster than
(B) than the hotel industry average for this period, but occupancy and room
rates grew faster for these chains than for
(C) as compared to the hotel industry average for this period, but occupancy
and room rates for them grew faster than with
(D) as compared to what the hotel industry average had been for this period,
but occupancy and room rates for these chains grew faster than did
(E) as compared to the hotel industry average for this period, but their
occupancy and room rates grew faster than they did for

I will go with option B
As compared to is wrong when another comparison element is there.
What the hotel industry average did for this period----->"than the hotel industry average for this period" is better

Hence B

Kudos-----> If my post was Helpful

Intern
Intern
B
Re: Comparisons SC  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2017, 01:11
VyshakhR1995 wrote:
Rah.ul wrote:
According to research covering the last decade, the average number of rooms added
the average hotel.

I will go with option B
What the hotel industry average did for this period----->"than the hotel industry average for this period" is better

Hence B

no doubt B is the correct answer but i am bit confused that average no of rooms is compared to hotel industry average....can you explain how option B compares these two? :roll:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, Marketing

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2017, 01:18
Rah.ul wrote:
VyshakhR1995 wrote:
Rah.ul wrote:
the average hotel.

I will go with option B

Hence B

no doubt B is the correct answer but i am bit confused that average no of rooms is compared to hotel industry average....can you explain how option B compares these two? :roll:

One average is compared to another....I think its confusing for you as you are taking "Rooms" as one object and hotel industry average as the other

Kudos-----> If my post was Helpful

Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2017, 06:38
In this question we can see a 2-3 split containing than vs as compared to! Can someone explain when to use 'than' and when to use 'as compared to'?

Though I got answer as B I can't seem to find really whats wrong with option E.

Kudos if you like my post

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2017, 10:26
anurag16 wrote:
In this question we can see a 2-3 split containing than vs as compared to! Can someone explain when to use 'than' and when to use 'as compared to'?

Though I got answer as B I can't seem to find really whats wrong with option E.

For answer choice (E), look at the pronouns, as daagh explained nicely above: https://gmatclub.com/forum/according-to ... l#p1831939

In general, I don't recommend obsessing over idioms: https://gmatclub.com/forum/experts-topi ... 41848.html. In this case, "was lower than" is a whole lot clearer than "was lower as compared to." But as is often (but not always!) the case on official GMAT questions, you don't even have to pay any attention to the idiom to get this one right, since there are tons of other issues.

Need an expert reply?

Mannheim Thread Master
S
GMAT 1: 650 Q40 V39
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2017, 06:51
B is correct - The sentence correctly compares one average number with another and growth in occupancy and room rates for these chains and for the average hotel.

2017-2018 MBA Deadlines

Threadmaster for B-school Discussions
Class of 2019: Mannheim Business School
Class 0f 2020: HHL Leipzig

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Marketing, International Business

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2017, 07:36
daagh wrote:

(A) than what the hotel industry average did for this period, but their occupancy and room rates grew faster than ---- than the average hotel is a wrong comparison.
(B) than the hotel industry average for this period, but occupancy and room rates grew faster for these chains than for ---aster for these … than for the average hotel is the correct comparison; best choice.
(C) as compared to the hotel industry average for this period, but occupancy and room rates for them grew faster than with --- for them than with is un//.
(D) as compared to what the hotel industry average had been for this period, but occupancy and room rates for these chains grew faster than did --- what had been is wrong tense; for these chains grew faster than did the average hotel is a wrong comparison.
(E) as compared to the hotel industry average for this period, but 'their' grew faster than they did for' --- problem with the pronoun 'they'. 'Their' stands for the chains while 'they' stands for occupancy and room rates; 'they' standing for the chains is still worse

=========================

Very useful solution but I did somehow like this.
Options C,D and E are out because they didn't used "THAN' in starting of the underlined sentence.
Lower needs than so we have to choose between option A and B.
B uses "faster for these chains than for" faster X that Y where X and Y are parallel...

Just Quotes if this strategy is good for SC as we have less time for SC in real GMAT..

Thanks in advance..
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.65
WE: Marketing (Education)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2017, 04:26
keats wrote:

Dear GMATNinja , from this question, we find "lower" in the non-underlined part. Since "lower" is a comparative word, so it must be followed by "THAN".

Is this enough to eliminate answer choice C,D,E, which do not have THAN?

Thanks in advance!

There's an app for that - Steve Jobs.

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2017, 23:51
Based on all the options B is the best

but i have question - There is a "comma" before "but" so shouldn't there be a independent clause following "but" with a subject ?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2017, 13:10
kunalsinghNS wrote:
Based on all the options B is the best

but i have question - There is a "comma" before "but" so shouldn't there be a independent clause following "but" with a subject ?

Technically speaking, the "but" makes the clause dependent, for whatever it's worth. But in (B), there certainly is a full clause (subject + verb) following the comma and "but": "...occupancy and room rates grew faster for these chains than for the average hotel." (Subject in bold, verb in blue.)

I hope this helps!

Need an expert reply?

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2017, 13:19
septwibowo wrote:
Dear GMATNinja , from this question, we find "lower" in the non-underlined part. Since "lower" is a comparative word, so it must be followed by "THAN".

Is this enough to eliminate answer choice C,D,E, which do not have THAN?

Thanks in advance!

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that you're correct about that. Another way of putting it is that the correct idiom is "lower than", not "lower than opposed to."

I do, however, get nervous about making generalizations about idioms, since they are -- by definition! -- pretty damned arbitrary. I think it's safe to eliminate (C), (D), and (E) in this case, because the idiom is so clearly wrong on those. But whenever you're not 100% sure about the idiom, look for other errors first, just to be safe. More on "idiom safety" here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/experts-topi ... 41848.html

Need an expert reply?

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2018, 08:18
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: According to research covering the last decade, the average number of &nbs [#permalink] 28 Sep 2018, 08:18

According to research covering the last decade, the average number of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap