It is currently 21 Nov 2017, 05:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

According to the last pre-election poll in Whippleton

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
P

Kudos [?]: 239 [1], given: 73

CAT Tests
According to the last pre-election poll in Whippleton [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2017, 04:57
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

58% (01:35) correct 42% (01:30) wrong based on 884 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

According to the last pre-election poll in Whippleton, most voters believe that the three problems government needs to address, in order of importance, are pollution, crime, and unemployment. Yet in the election, candidates from parties perceived as strongly against pollution were defeated, while those elected were all from parties with a history of opposing legislation designed to reduce pollution. These results should not be taken to indicate that the poll was inaccurate, however, since ______________.

Which of the following most logically completes the passage?

(A) some voters in Whippleton do not believe that pollution needs to be reduced.

(B) every candidate who was defeated had a strong antipollution record

(C) there were no issues other than crime, unemployment, and pollution on which the candidates had significant differences of opinion

(D) all the candidates who were elected were perceived as being stronger against both crime and unemployment than the candidates who were defeated

(E) many of the people who voted in the election refused to participate in the poll
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by broall on 28 May 2017, 20:52, edited 2 times in total.

Kudos [?]: 239 [1], given: 73

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 33

Reviews Badge
Re: According to the last pre-election poll in Whippleton [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2017, 12:33
Can anyone explain that why E is wrong? Because if most of the people who voted in the election are those who did not participated in the poll then we can not say that poll results are inaccurate.

NOW OR NEVER

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 33

1 KUDOS received
Board of Directors
D

Kudos [?]: 916 [1], given: 67

GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2017, 06:26
This post received
KUDOS
Polls said people want government to work on pollution, crime, and unemployment,in order of importance.

Elections ruled out those people who were strongly supporting anti pollution.

Still elections were correct. We need to find out why.

We can say may be these elections show some other benefit of selecting those who were opposing anti pollution laws.

(A) some voters in Whippleton do not believe that pollution needs to be reduced. --> Some donot believe, what about others? We don't know.

(B) every candidate who was defeated had a strong antipollution record --> We already know this. But it is not telling us reason that elections were accurate.

(C) there were no issues other than crime, unemployment, and pollution on which the candidates had significant differences of opinion. --> Fine, we don't care even if there were. Then why still those supporters got rejected.

(D) all the candidates who were elected were perceived as being stronger against both crime and unemployment than the candidates who were defeated. --> Benefits of two problems is more than just one. So, that is why they chose the opposing party. Since, two problems out of three could be solved.

(E) many of the people who voted in the election refused to participate in the poll. --> Tempting BUT we are given "most voters believe that" and not most people. Hence, incorrect.

david2099 wrote:
Can anyone explain that why E is wrong? Because if most of the people who voted in the election are those who did not participated in the poll then we can not say that poll results are inaccurate.

MY friend, this statement talks about many people while the argument talks abut most voters. That means, we are talking about voters only out of those pre polls. Hence, this statement is incorrect.

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

Kudos [?]: 916 [1], given: 67

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 37

Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GRE 1: 310 Q164 V146
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2017, 19:32
D for me

pollution, crime, unemployment need to be discussed.
loosing party discussed only pollution, but not crime and unemp.
winning party though not discussed pollution that imp, but focused on crime and unemp.

princeton-1: 470
princeton-2: 590
princeton-3: 460
princeton-4: 610
gmat club cat: 620
manhatten-1: 680
veritas: 650
princeton-5: 700
princeton-6: 610
manhatten-2: 740
kaplan: 750
princeton-7: 700
manhatten-3: 780
gmat prep 1: 770
princeton-8: 680
manhatten-4: 780
princeton-9: 710
gmat prep 2: 740
manhatten-5: 780
princeton-10: 710

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 37

VP
VP
G

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 541

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2017, 22:07
Imo D
Wining candidates had good reputation to reduce unemployment and crimes.
Losing candidates did not have such a reputation against unemployment and crimes.

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 541

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 20

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2017, 15:40
Tough choice between D and E. Only reason I did not choose E is because the argument mentions that poll was accurate and E tries to question that.

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 20

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 233

WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2017, 22:11
Hi GMATNinja / GMATNinja2

I was able to comprehend argument but was not able to select OA correctly.

Argument: Most voters believe that in order for candidates to win elections, they must
first address pollution, then crime, and lastly unemployment.

However, in actual election, candidates who won where those who opposed to reduce pollution.

These results are accurate because .. (main conclusion of argument)

I went through abhimahna s explanation
but priority wise the other two factors are less important than pollution. let me know how to approach POE here.

WR,
Arpit

Press kudos if you liked this post

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 233

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 36

GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V34

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2017, 03:27
Please help between option D and E??

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 36

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 13

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2017, 15:44
pulkitaggi wrote:
Please help between option D and E??

The answer is definitely D, that all winners were strong on 2/3rd of the 3 most important issues is enough explanation for their victory in spite of the poll predicting otherwise.
E is not adding much to the argument as it is saying that many voters did not participate in the poll, while the prompt already said most of the voters responded in the poll. The many referred to in E does not mean most, many may be relatively few to most.
Although this is in the paradox resolution category, I would classify it as weakening/strengthening, and the extreme and absolute signifiers that are usually present in the weakening/strengthening answers apply here as well. In this case, it is the 'all' in (D) all the candidates who were elected were perceived as being stronger against both crime and unemployment than the candidates who were defeated.
Note that this answer serves a dual purpose in other to resolve the paradox:
1. It strengthens the result of the election as explained above
2. It weakens the hypothetical prediction from the poll (see above)

I wouldn't be surprised if many resolve the paradox CRs follow this format.

Last edited by rulingbear on 13 Jul 2017, 08:16, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 13

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 106

GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.48
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2017, 09:49
Hi experts GMATNinja, GMATNinjaTwo, mikemcgarry, could you please help solve my concern? Thank you.

I'm confused of this phrase "in order of important". In my opinion, I understand that the phrase implies that 3 factors mentioned are arranged in an order of important (btw, why "important", but not "importance"???). And then, I wonder which order of importance should be inferred from stimulus?
- pollution > crime > employment
- or, pollution < crime < employment

Initially, I thought that the first order is correct, that's why I'm confused with option (D). If pollution is ranked the most important, then more favoring on crime and employment is not necessarily strong enough for the unexpected candidates to be elected. What do you think about this?

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8758 [1], given: 105

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2017, 10:12
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Lucy Phuong wrote:
Hi experts GMATNinja, GMATNinjaTwo, mikemcgarry, could you please help solve my concern? Thank you.

I'm confused of this phrase "in order of important". In my opinion, I understand that the phrase implies that 3 factors mentioned are arranged in an order of important (btw, why "important", but not "importance"???). And then, I wonder which order of importance should be inferred from stimulus?
- pollution > crime > employment
- or, pollution < crime < employment

Initially, I thought that the first order is correct, that's why I'm confused with option (D). If pollution is ranked the most important, then more favoring on crime and employment is not necessarily strong enough for the unexpected candidates to be elected. What do you think about this?

Dear Lucy Phuong,

I'm happy to respond. :-) First of all, I want to apologize for the typo. When ganand posted the question, which is GMAT OG CR #626, he mistyped "important" rather than the correct word, "importance." I corrected that typo in the above text. It's extremely important to be completely accurate in posting the text of official questions.

You're also correct that there is potentially something a little bit vague here. Typically, for clarity, people would often say "in the order of increasing importance" or "in the order of decreasing importance." I would say that we can thinking about it this way. When we are taking about "order," some list in the "order of [noun]," order is fundamentally numerical in nature. Every order list has a first element, a second element, and so forth. Thus, in some formal way, the enumeration of elements on a list is like counting the positive integers. Naturally, we are free to count forward or backwards, but what's the default standard way to count? Of course, forward, starting with 1. Thus, the default way of giving an ordered list starts in the same say, with the 1st element, then the 2nd element, etc.

With this in mind, it's clear that pollution is the #1 problem, crime is #2, and unemployment is #3.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 8758 [1], given: 105

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
GMAT Tutor
B

Kudos [?]: 2010 [2], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2017, 10:36
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
ganand wrote:
According to the last pre-election poll in Whippleton, most voters believe that the three problems government needs to address, in order of importance, are pollution, crime, and unemployment. Yet in the election, candidates from parties perceived as strongly against pollution were defeated, while those elected were all from parties with a history of opposing legislation designed to reduce pollution. These results should not be taken to indicate that the poll was inaccurate, however, since ______________.

Which of the following most logically completes the passage?

(D) all the candidates who were elected were perceived as being stronger against both crime and unemployment than the candidates who were defeated

(E) many of the people who voted in the election refused to participate in the poll

There seems to be some support for answer E here, and I just wanted to point out why E is not correct. E would provide a good explanation of why the poll didn't predict the election result correctly, because if many people refused to take the poll, there'd be good reason to think the poll inaccurate. But if you read the stem carefully, that's the opposite of what we're trying to do:

These results should not be taken to indicate that the poll was inaccurate, however, since ________

We're trying to find a reason why the poll could be accurate and yet the election result could still be what it was. E doesn't do that, because E suggests the poll was not accurate. Only answer D does what we want - explains why voters might still care most about pollution, as the poll says, yet vote for other candidates.

GMAT Tutor in Toronto

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

Kudos [?]: 2010 [2], given: 6

Manager
Manager
S

GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.48
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2017, 18:25
mikemcgarry wrote:
I'm happy to respond. :-) First of all, I want to apologize for the typo. When ganand posted the question, which is GMAT OG CR #626, he mistyped "important" rather than the correct word, "importance." I corrected that typo in the above text. It's extremely important to be completely accurate in posting the text of official questions.

You're also correct that there is potentially something a little bit vague here. Typically, for clarity, people would often say "in the order of increasing importance" or "in the order of decreasing importance." I would say that we can thinking about it this way. When we are taking about "order," some list in the "order of [noun]," order is fundamentally numerical in nature. Every order list has a first element, a second element, and so forth. Thus, in some formal way, the enumeration of elements on a list is like counting the positive integers. Naturally, we are free to count forward or backwards, but what's the default standard way to count? Of course, forward, starting with 1. Thus, the default way of giving an ordered list starts in the same say, with the 1st element, then the 2nd element, etc.

With this in mind, it's clear that pollution is the #1 problem, crime is #2, and unemployment is #3.

Does all this make sense?

Thanks Mike :) +kudos to you

Just wanna make sure whether I understand your post. So I guess you suggest the order of important should be, by default, arranged this way: pollution < crime < unemployment ?

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8758 [0], given: 105

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2017, 09:39
Lucy Phuong wrote:
Thanks Mike :) +kudos to you

Just wanna make sure whether I understand your post. So I guess you suggest the order of important should be, by default, arranged this way: pollution < crime < unemployment ?

Dear Lucy Phuong,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, I am not sure how you are using the inequalities signs. Are you using them as true inequality signs or as substitute arrows? With all due respect, your use of the inequality signs is considerably more ambiguous than anything about the text.

The order in the text implies
pollution = #1 priority, the most important, the greatest importance, the highest priority
crime = #2 priority
unemployment = #3 priority, the least important of the three

Does this make sense?

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 8758 [0], given: 105

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2017, 12:08
abhimahna wrote:
Polls said people want government to work on pollution, crime, and unemployment,in order of importance.

Elections ruled out those people who were strongly supporting anti pollution.

Still elections were correct. We need to find out why.

We can say may be these elections show some other benefit of selecting those who were opposing anti pollution laws.

(A) some voters in Whippleton do not believe that pollution needs to be reduced. --> Some donot believe, what about others? We don't know.

(B) every candidate who was defeated had a strong antipollution record --> We already know this. But it is not telling us reason that elections were accurate.

(C) there were no issues other than crime, unemployment, and pollution on which the candidates had significant differences of opinion. --> Fine, we don't care even if there were. Then why still those supporters got rejected.

(D) all the candidates who were elected were perceived as being stronger against both crime and unemployment than the candidates who were defeated. --> Benefits of two problems is more than just one. So, that is why they chose the opposing party. Since, two problems out of three could be solved.

(E) many of the people who voted in the election refused to participate in the poll. --> Tempting BUT we are given "most voters believe that" and not most people. Hence, incorrect.

david2099 wrote:

MY friend, this statement talks about many people while the argument talks abut most voters. That means, we are talking about voters only out of those pre polls. Hence, this statement is incorrect.

"People who voted" = "voters"... they are the same thing.
How would you define "voter" - a person who votes lmao.

I think the real explanation is that the poll is inaccurate b/c it did not accurately represent the voter sentiments.

Stated another way: Because most "voters"/ "people who voted" didn't participate in the poll, the poll was not representative of the voter sentiment. Therefore, the poll was inaccurate.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
6 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 1881 [6], given: 452

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2017, 20:38
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
adkikani wrote:
Hi GMATNinja / GMATNinja2

I was able to comprehend argument but was not able to select OA correctly.

Argument: Most voters believe that in order for candidates to win elections, they must
first address pollution, then crime, and lastly unemployment.

However, in actual election, candidates who won where those who opposed to reduce pollution.

These results are accurate because .. (main conclusion of argument)

I went through abhimahna s explanation
but priority wise the other two factors are less important than pollution. let me know how to approach POE here.

WR,
Arpit

The conclusion is, indeed, that "[the election results] should not be taken to indicate that the [last pre-election] poll was inaccurate." Okay, how does the author arrive at that conclusion?

• First, we are given the results of the pre-election poll: MOST voters believe that the government needs to address 1) pollution, 2) crime, and 3) unemployment (in that order of importance)
  • In the actual election, candidates from parties strongly against pollution were defeated, and candidates from parties that OPPOSED anti-pollution legislation were elected.

This election result seems to go against the pre-election poll. If pollution is the most important problem for most voters, why would they elect people who are not likely to address the pollution problem? We need something that explains this apparent discrepancy while SUPPORTING the conclusion that the pre-election polls should be taken as accurate...

Quote:
(A) some voters in Whippleton do not believe that pollution needs to be reduced.

The discrepancy is not resolved by this fact. Even if SOME voters don't think pollution needs to be reduced, MOST voters think that pollution is the most important problem. Thus, it is still surprising that the voters elected people from parties that OPPOSE anti-pollution legislation. (A) can be eliminated.

Quote:
(B) every candidate who was defeated had a strong antipollution record

Again, this does not resolve the discrepancy. In fact, this makes the discrepancy even more significant. If most voters think pollution is the most important problem, wouldn't they WANT to elect candidates with strong anti-pollution records? Eliminate (B).

Quote:
(C) there were no issues other than crime, unemployment, and pollution on which the candidates had significant differences of opinion

The discrepancy exists regardless of whether the candidates differed on other issues. The discrepancy is that voters elected candidates who seemingly would not address the problem that voters care about the most. Why? Choice (C) does not help answer this question and can be eliminated.

Quote:

Now we're on to something... Imagine a typical voter who believes that the three most important problems to address are pollution, crime, and unemployment, in that order. On one hand, you have Candidate A, who doesn't seem to care about reducing pollution but appears to be strong against crime and unemployment. On the other hand, you have Candidate B, who seems to be strong against pollution, but doesn't seem to be strong against crime and unemployment. Would you rather have the first priority addressed without addressing the second or third priorities? Or are you willing to sacrifice the top priority if it means addressing the other two? You might decide that 2 out of 3 is better than 1 out of 3, even if that means sacrificing your top priority. This would explain the apparent discrepancy, so (D) looks good.

Quote:

Remember, we are looking for a statement that SUPPORTS the conclusion that pre-election poll was accurate. By suggesting that the poll was not comprehensive, this statement gives us further reason to DOUBT the accuracy of the pre-election polls. This choice is tempting because it seems to offer a possible explanation for the discrepancy... perhaps most voters who care about crime, unemployment, or other issues did not participate in the poll, making it seem like most voters in Whippleton care about pollution, when in fact most voters (including those not polled) care more about other issues. If (E) is true, we only know that many voters did not participate in the pre-election poll. In order for this to explain the discrepancy, we have to ASSUME that most of the voters who did not participate were voters who do not think pollution is the top priority. And if we make this assumption to explain the discrepancy, we are sacrificing the conclusion by suggesting that the pre-election poll was not accurate. (E) must be eliminated.

I hope that helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Friendly warning: I'm bad at PMs

GMAT Ninja Wednesdays LIVE on YouTube
Join us, and ask your questions in advance!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses | Comparisons, part I |
November webinar schedule

Kudos [?]: 1881 [6], given: 452

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 43

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2017, 13:14
david2099 wrote:

But we are trying to show that the polls were not inaccurate, and that the election results can be explained some other way. Sort of like a Resolve the paradox question.

Give me kudos and see what happens to your GMAT score :-)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 43

Re: According to the last pre-election poll in Whippleton   [#permalink] 15 Oct 2017, 13:14

According to the last pre-election poll in Whippleton

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap