Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:55 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Complete the Passagex   Resolve Paradoxx                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3019 [250]
Given Kudos: 85
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9244 [58]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [17]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
Re: According to the last pre-election poll in Whippleton, most voters [#permalink]
Can anyone explain that why E is wrong? Because if most of the people who voted in the election are those who did not participated in the poll then we can not say that poll results are inaccurate.
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1238 [1]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Re: According to the last pre-election poll in Whippleton, most voters [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi GMATNinja / GMATNinja2

I was able to comprehend argument but was not able to select OA correctly.

Argument: Most voters believe that in order for candidates to win elections, they must
first address pollution, then crime, and lastly unemployment.

However, in actual election, candidates who won where those who opposed to reduce pollution.

These results are accurate because .. (main conclusion of argument)

I went through abhimahna s explanation
but priority wise the other two factors are less important than pollution. let me know how to approach POE here.

WR,
Arpit
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V34
Send PM
Please help between option D and E??
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Kudos
pulkitaggi wrote:
Please help between option D and E??

The answer is definitely D, that all winners were strong on 2/3rd of the 3 most important issues is enough explanation for their victory in spite of the poll predicting otherwise.
E is not adding much to the argument as it is saying that many voters did not participate in the poll, while the prompt already said most of the voters responded in the poll. The many referred to in E does not mean most, many may be relatively few to most.
Although this is in the paradox resolution category, I would classify it as weakening/strengthening, and the extreme and absolute signifiers that are usually present in the weakening/strengthening answers apply here as well. In this case, it is the 'all' in (D) all the candidates who were elected were perceived as being stronger against both crime and unemployment than the candidates who were defeated.
Note that this answer serves a dual purpose in other to resolve the paradox:
1. It strengthens the result of the election as explained above
2. It weakens the hypothetical prediction from the poll (see above)

I wouldn't be surprised if many resolve the paradox CRs follow this format.

Originally posted by rulingbear on 10 Jul 2017, 15:44.
Last edited by rulingbear on 13 Jul 2017, 08:16, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 324 [0]
Given Kudos: 106
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.48
Send PM
Hi experts GMATNinja, GMATNinjaTwo, mikemcgarry, could you please help solve my concern? Thank you.

I'm confused of this phrase "in order of important". In my opinion, I understand that the phrase implies that 3 factors mentioned are arranged in an order of important (btw, why "important", but not "importance"???). And then, I wonder which order of importance should be inferred from stimulus?
- pollution > crime > employment
- or, pollution < crime < employment

Initially, I thought that the first order is correct, that's why I'm confused with option (D). If pollution is ranked the most important, then more favoring on crime and employment is not necessarily strong enough for the unexpected candidates to be elected. What do you think about this?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [1]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos
Expert Reply
Lucy Phuong wrote:
Hi experts GMATNinja, GMATNinjaTwo, mikemcgarry, could you please help solve my concern? Thank you.

I'm confused of this phrase "in order of important". In my opinion, I understand that the phrase implies that 3 factors mentioned are arranged in an order of important (btw, why "important", but not "importance"???). And then, I wonder which order of importance should be inferred from stimulus?
- pollution > crime > employment
- or, pollution < crime < employment

Initially, I thought that the first order is correct, that's why I'm confused with option (D). If pollution is ranked the most important, then more favoring on crime and employment is not necessarily strong enough for the unexpected candidates to be elected. What do you think about this?

Dear Lucy Phuong,

I'm happy to respond. :-) First of all, I want to apologize for the typo. When ganand posted the question, which is GMAT OG CR #626, he mistyped "important" rather than the correct word, "importance." I corrected that typo in the above text. It's extremely important to be completely accurate in posting the text of official questions.

You're also correct that there is potentially something a little bit vague here. Typically, for clarity, people would often say "in the order of increasing importance" or "in the order of decreasing importance." I would say that we can thinking about it this way. When we are taking about "order," some list in the "order of [noun]," order is fundamentally numerical in nature. Every order list has a first element, a second element, and so forth. Thus, in some formal way, the enumeration of elements on a list is like counting the positive integers. Naturally, we are free to count forward or backwards, but what's the default standard way to count? Of course, forward, starting with 1. Thus, the default way of giving an ordered list starts in the same say, with the 1st element, then the 2nd element, etc.

With this in mind, it's clear that pollution is the #1 problem, crime is #2, and unemployment is #3.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 324 [1]
Given Kudos: 106
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.48
Send PM
Kudos
mikemcgarry wrote:
I'm happy to respond. :-) First of all, I want to apologize for the typo. When ganand posted the question, which is GMAT OG CR #626, he mistyped "important" rather than the correct word, "importance." I corrected that typo in the above text. It's extremely important to be completely accurate in posting the text of official questions.

You're also correct that there is potentially something a little bit vague here. Typically, for clarity, people would often say "in the order of increasing importance" or "in the order of decreasing importance." I would say that we can thinking about it this way. When we are taking about "order," some list in the "order of [noun]," order is fundamentally numerical in nature. Every order list has a first element, a second element, and so forth. Thus, in some formal way, the enumeration of elements on a list is like counting the positive integers. Naturally, we are free to count forward or backwards, but what's the default standard way to count? Of course, forward, starting with 1. Thus, the default way of giving an ordered list starts in the same say, with the 1st element, then the 2nd element, etc.

With this in mind, it's clear that pollution is the #1 problem, crime is #2, and unemployment is #3.

Does all this make sense?

Thanks Mike :) +kudos to you

Just wanna make sure whether I understand your post. So I guess you suggest the order of important should be, by default, arranged this way: pollution < crime < unemployment ?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
Expert Reply
Lucy Phuong wrote:
Thanks Mike :) +kudos to you

Just wanna make sure whether I understand your post. So I guess you suggest the order of important should be, by default, arranged this way: pollution < crime < unemployment ?

Dear Lucy Phuong,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, I am not sure how you are using the inequalities signs. Are you using them as true inequality signs or as substitute arrows? With all due respect, your use of the inequality signs is considerably more ambiguous than anything about the text.

The order in the text implies
pollution = #1 priority, the most important, the greatest importance, the highest priority
crime = #2 priority
unemployment = #3 priority, the least important of the three

Does this make sense?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [5]
Given Kudos: 82
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
According to the last pre-election poll in Whippleton, most voters believe that the three problems government needs to address, in order of importance, are pollution, crime, and unemployment. Yet in the election, candidates from parties perceived as strongly against pollution were defeated, while those elected were all from parties with a history of opposing legislation designed to reduce pollution. These results should not be taken to indicate that the poll was inaccurate, however, since __________.

We need to think of reasons to why does the author say that the results should not be taken to indicate that the pool was inaccurate.

(A) some voters in Whippleton do not believe that pollution needs to be reduced - if some voters do not believe that pollution needs to be reduced, these voters could have voted for either parties. Maybe the voter could have voted for the party whose candidates were perceived as strongly against pollution because this party might have worked on addressing problems of crime and unemployment. The voter could also have voted for the parties which had a long history of opposing legislation designed to reduce pollution, because that is all that mattered to the voter. However, this does not give a reason as to why the polls should not be considered as inaccurate despite showing the results against what was expected. Additionally, the premise mentions that 'most' voters believe. This answer choice just provides additional information by stating that some voters do not believe - Reject

(B) every candidate who was defeated had a strong antipollution record - Repeats the premise. Does not give a reason for not doubting the polls accuracy. - Reject

(C) there were no issues other than crime, unemployment, and pollution on which the candidates had significant differences of opinion - Though this might tell us that voters had to make a choice in voting for the candidates that helped further the cause that voters believed in, which in this case was address problems of pollution, crime and unemployment in order of importance. If the candidates that voters needed to choose from had significant difference of opinions only in these 3 areas, then this could be the reason that some candidates won and some lost. Though, this does not provide a reason for not doubting the accuracy of the polls. - Reject

(D) all the candidates who were elected were perceived as being stronger against both crime and unemployment than the candidates who were defeated - Since the order of importance of problems that voters believed should be addressed by the winning parties was pollution, crime and unemployment. Just because the party which lost was perceived strongly to reduce pollution doesn't make the poll inaccurate. The voters chose the other candidates because these candidates were perceived as being stronger against both crime and unemployment than the candidates who were defeated. This does give us a reason not to doubt the accuracy of the poll. The candidates won fair and square in lines with what the voters believed in Bingo!

(E) many of the people who voted in the election refused to participate in the poll - Thus, there were few people who participated in the poll. Thus the poll is not fully representative of the voter's belief. The author says that polls should not be considered inaccurate and our job is to find a reason why does the author say so. This option tries to void the conclusion itself, stating that what the author is stating around accuracy of poll is plain wrong. - Reject

Some kudos would do no harm :P A thorough analysis of my post would just help me reach 700+!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7627 [2]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM