GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 03 Aug 2020, 04:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Admitted - Booth ($) vs Wharton for Venture Capital? RE to VC?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Which MBA is best for a transition from RE to VC?

• 23% [4]
  • 76% [13]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
Admitted - Booth ($) vs Wharton for Venture Capital? RE to VC?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2020, 12:08
I've been fortunate enough to be accepted to Booth and Wharton. My background is in Real Estate Development and I'm planning on leveraging the MBA and my RE background to move into Venture Capital - specifically, VC focused on real estate-related technology.

I've had a difficult time grasping which school, Booth or Wharton, has a stronger presence/more resources in Venture Captial. Even in doing alumni checks, # of VC's from each school, etc. it's hard to decipher if one school or the other stands out.

My basic understanding is that Wharton has the brand and Booth has the academics. As someone without an investment banking background, I'm a bit concerned I'll have difficulty getting into VC from Wharton, given the number of students at Wharton from IB. On the other hand, I'm very finance-focused which may fit with Wharton.

I don't have a favorite in terms of culture, I've really enjoyed meeting people from both schools. Money (in this case $30k/yr at Booth) isn't as important to me. It's more important if one school or the other has a stronger network/resources within Venture Captial that will help me make the transition from RE to VC.

Thanks so much! This forum rules!! :-D :please
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Admitted - Booth ($) vs Wharton for Venture Capital? RE to VC?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2020, 12:19
Congratulations!

Wharton has been building up their SF campus and Tech recruiting in Bay Area which has helped them with placements and also lifted their rankings. At the same time all VC recruiting will be off campus and it is tough to quantify if Wharton or $60,000 over two years will make a difference.

Both Booth and Wharton have been working on startup and entrepreneurship tracks which may spill over into VC. kmwantstogoschool - how is VC recruiting at Booth? What are students experiencing?

Posted from my mobile device

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
WAMC! - What Are My Chances - Automated Profile Evaluation Tool is Here!
Everything we know about GMAT ONLINE is Here!
Founder
Founder
V
Re: Admitted - Booth ($) vs Wharton for Venture Capital? RE to VC?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2020, 12:28
Also, here is what jessepinkman (our resident Booth expert) recommended in terms of Booth/Wharton for VC: https://gmatclub.com/forum/poll-wharton ... 62303.html

Good luck with your choice!
Amazing job with your admits! ;-)

Which School to Choose Forum Moderator
G
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: Booth '17 (M$)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3.75

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2020, 12:42
VC is tough in general (even from H/S) but Wharton and Booth will both put you in a good position. One major advantage Booth has is its Chicago location and close ties to the VC community through The New Venture Challenge and the Booth VC lab. Regardless of whether you want to stay in Chicago or not, the best way to build your VC resume is to work for a VC part-time while getting your MBA. Almost all of the people in my class who wanted VC and stuck with it for the full two years ended up landing a job in VC (across Chicago, SF, and NY). I know people at Wharton who did this as well but given the lack of a tech community in Philly, they had to commute up to NYC once a week for a few days. VC is less about where you get your MBA (at least within say the M7/T9) and more about your personal brand and how you sell yourself. Most of the firms are small and don't do formal recruiting anywhere so it's up to you to be aggressive and convince them that you can add value.
Current Student
S
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V47
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.6
WE: Accounting (Consumer Products)
Reviews Badge
Admitted - Booth ($) vs Wharton for Venture Capital? RE to VC?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2020, 13:57
Hey echoing everything Jessepinkman has said. There’s recruiting and avenues open up through the NVC, well connected professors, alumni network, the Polsky Center and PEVC lab etc. It is less structured than banking or consulting in that you won’t be served networking opportunities and interview prep on a platter, but if you’re motivated enough to seek out the various opportunities at Booth, you are sure to find something great. There are a lot of school year internships posted on our job portal as well for VC that interested candidates take up. A few school year internships will take you places. Do not know how it is at Wharton so can’t comment, but id say it’s pretty good at Booth. Only caveat, if you’re an international, VC shops don’t want to sponsor work auth; most internationals do VC in geographies where they have the right to work, after doing a few internships through school to get the experience under their belt. There is even an offered class called PEVC lab where you can land an internship through the class! Hope this helps!

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2020, 10:31
Thanks for kmwantstogoschool and jessepinkman for the input! Super helpful! It's great to hear that Booth has great resources for VC. I'm from Chicago so there's certainly an advantage in the location. My only concern is the breadth of the network at Wharton seems to be larger, specifically in areas like VC and PE (from what I've gathered, but could be wrong) and this could be beneficial in making a switch to VC.

Is there anyone you'd specifically recommend reaching out to that exited into VC from Booth? Also, it'd be great to hear the Wharton side of the story, as well, if you know anyone familiar with Wharton VC.

Thanks again!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2020, 06:51
Thanks for the votes! My biggest concern is taking out ~230k in debt to pay for Wharton. Can anyone shed some color on whether it's worth it to take on this amount of debt? Thanks.
Which School to Choose Forum Moderator
G
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: Booth '17 (M$)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3.75

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2020, 07:08
xofcx wrote:
Thanks for kmwantstogoschool and jessepinkman for the input! Super helpful! It's great to hear that Booth has great resources for VC. I'm from Chicago so there's certainly an advantage in the location. My only concern is the breadth of the network at Wharton seems to be larger, specifically in areas like VC and PE (from what I've gathered, but could be wrong) and this could be beneficial in making a switch to VC.

Is there anyone you'd specifically recommend reaching out to that exited into VC from Booth? Also, it'd be great to hear the Wharton side of the story, as well, if you know anyone familiar with Wharton VC.

Thanks again!

here are a few
https://www.linkedin.com/in/costacristina/
https://www.ylventures.com/people/john-brennan/
https://www.ggvc.com/ggv_employee/oren-yunger/
https://onewayvc.com/team/lex-zhao/
https://www.linkedin.com/in/sbstern/
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2020, 11:56
Trying to ping a few Wharton folks to see what they feel about $230K in debt :)

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Admitted - Booth ($) vs Wharton for Venture Capital? RE to VC?   [#permalink] 06 Apr 2020, 11:56

Admitted - Booth ($) vs Wharton for Venture Capital? RE to VC?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: FinanceMan, Regenerate