It is currently 15 Jan 2018, 23:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Advanced SC: One view of the economy contends that a large drop

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
D

Kudos [?]: 18628 [1], given: 1994

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Advanced SC: One view of the economy contends that a large drop [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2015, 11:54
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

63% (00:44) correct 37% (01:14) wrong based on 132 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

One view of the economy contends that a large drop in oil prices should eventually lead to lowering interest rates, as well as lowering fears about inflation, a rally in stocks and bonds, and a weakening of the dollar.

A. lowering interest rates, as well as lowering fears about inflation,
B. a lowering of interest rates and of fears about inflation,
C. a lowering of interest rates, along with fears about inflation,
D. interest rates being lowered, along with fears about inflation,
E. interest rates and fears about inflation being lowered, with
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 18628 [1], given: 1994

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 44

Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT Date: 08-27-2012
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)
Re: Advanced SC: One view of the economy contends that a large drop [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2015, 12:43
One view of the economy contends that a large drop in oil prices should eventually lead to lowering interest rates, as well as lowering fears about inflation, a rally in stocks and bonds, and a weakening of the dollar.
parallelism question
Parallel items:
ne view of the economy contends that a large drop in oil prices should eventually lead to
lowering interest rates, as well as lowering fears about inflation,
a rally in stocks and bonds, and
a weakening of the dollar

only B & C remains.
C changes the meaning by introducing alongwith.

B is correct.

kudos me if you like my post.

Attitude determine everything.
all the best and God bless you.

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 44

Board of Directors
P

Kudos [?]: 462 [0], given: 210

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Advanced SC: One view of the economy contends that a large drop [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2015, 12:58
souvik101990 wrote:

after lead to we need a noun or a noun phrase, so that the entities of the list be parallel.
as well as - wordy, "and" can be more precise and short.

A. lowering interest rates, as well as lowering fears about inflation,
as mentioned above.

B. a lowering of interest rates and of fears about inflation,
we have noun phrase a lowering.
of interest rates and of fears about inflation are parallel

C. a lowering of interest rates, along with fears about inflation,
changes meaning
large drop in oil price leads to 2 things: lowering of interest rates, and in the same time - fears about inflation. this is not the original meaning.

D. interest rates being lowered, along with fears about inflation,
same meaning error as C has.

E. interest rates and fears about inflation being lowered, with
changes meaning. a large drop in oil prices leads to interest rates and fears
wait what? :)

Kudos [?]: 462 [0], given: 210

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
D

Kudos [?]: 18628 [0], given: 1994

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Re: Advanced SC: One view of the economy contends that a large drop [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2015, 01:20
At issue is the need for logical and formal parallelism in a coordinate series. B, the best choice, clearly and
correctly uses parallel noun phrases to list three effects of a drop in oil prices: a lowering of..., a rally in ..., and
a weakening of.... In place of the correct lower before/ears, choice A uses an incorrect participial adjective,
lowering, that could cause confusion by seeming at first to function as a verb. A also violates parallelism. In C
and D, the use of along with confuses meaning by making fears about inflation an independent effect, not an
object of lowering. D and E violate parallelism by substituting an awkward gerund clause for the first noun
phrase.

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 18628 [0], given: 1994

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2017, 03:34
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 0

Re: Advanced SC: One view of the economy contends that a large drop   [#permalink] 13 Dec 2017, 03:34

Advanced SC: One view of the economy contends that a large drop

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap