GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Apr 2019, 07:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Advice on goals essay

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Advice on goals essay  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2017, 02:52
Hi everyone,

I've been struggling with a certain aspect on my MBA goals essay. I already have an Msc in Marketing and I want to pursue my MBA, also after my MBA I want to get into the field of management consulting. Currently, I am in a similar space, I work for the operations consulting team at a private equity firm. I'm in a catch-22, I'm finding it extremely hard to explain why I need an MBA after having done an MSc already. Any suggestions or advice you'd like to throw my way?

Thanks in advance.
SVP
SVP
V
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Advice on goals essay  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2017, 20:00
Amorino wrote:
Hi everyone,

I've been struggling with a certain aspect on my MBA goals essay. I already have an Msc in Marketing and I want to pursue my MBA, also after my MBA I want to get into the field of management consulting. Currently, I am in a similar space, I work for the operations consulting team at a private equity firm. I'm in a catch-22, I'm finding it extremely hard to explain why I need an MBA after having done an MSc already. Any suggestions or advice you'd like to throw my way?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Amorino,

How many years of WE do you have? How old are you?
Ivy Groupe Admissions Consulting Representative
S
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Harvard Business School graduate and MBA admissions expert
Affiliations: Harvard, Princeton

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2017, 20:12
Hi there,

The question that you want to answer is the following: what are the knowledge/skills that you will gain from an MBA that an MSc in Marketing didn't give you? If you are still struggling with this question, lay out what the curriculum looks like for each and see what the MBA offers that the MSc in Marketing didn't. Then think about why that additional knowledge and those additional skills will help you achieve your goals. Hope this is helpful.

Best,
Shaifali
Founder/CEO, Ivy Groupe (http://www.ivygroupe.com)
(HBS Grad/MBA Admissions Expert)

Blog: https://www.ivygroupe.com/blog
Email: info@ivygroupe.com
Phone: 646.801.5190

Click here for GMAT Club Reviews!
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2017, 04:45
Thanks for your replies.

@Mo2men- I have 4 1/2 years of work experience and I'm 27 years old...

@IvyGroupeCEO- Thanks for your advice, super helpful indeed :)
Admission Consultant
P

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2017, 08:44
Amorino wrote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance.

1. you can talk about a knowledge/skill gap which you feel in your current role. This can be overcome through the MBA.
2. AN MSc in Marketing is likely to give you advanced skills in marketing but possibly not an overall business knowledge (about strategy, operations, finance). An MBA will help you get solid understanding of core business functions.
3.An MBA can also help you build softer leadership skills, which will be more relevant in your career as you advance through roles and positions.

Ask us for a FREE DING/REJECT ANALYSIS
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2017, 16:53
Well a Msc in Marketing is a very specific degree and MBA is more comprehensive and holistic so that should be your angel especially if you are looking to broaden your career and transition into mgmt consulting. This really should not be that hard to explain, focus on your interest in developing other skills. Also, for the most part mgmt consulting firms primarily recruit out of MBA programs so if you want to make that transition an MBA is the way to go

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews
MBA Admissions Consultant
P
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2017, 02:02
Amorino wrote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance.

In general, a strong career plan is one that brings the candidate to a very successful future, and one that is very likely to happen. The more specific and personal the essay is, the better. The key to the Career Essay is to connect most sentences with the future goals and the industry name.
For more tips on career goals essays and career goals essay samples, please visit: https://aringo.com/Career-Goals-Essay/

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720 or low GPAs

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/

All statistics verified by Ernst & Young - https://aringo.com/aringo-mba-admission-statistics/
Experts' Global Representative
S

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2017, 20:47
Hello :)

We are a bit late in replying to you but we hope this reaches you in time.

The segment on career goals is the most important part of any Master’s application and it is great that you have identified your problem and are seeking a solution for the same.
The key to delivering a good application is one that shows a direct sync among you short term goals, your long term career plans, and how the degree in question will facilitate your journey towards your goals.
Further, while an MSc in Marketing would have provided you subject matter expertise in Marketing, an MBA will provide you a 360 degrees view of looking at business, instill in you greater soft skills, and afford you a recruiting advantage.
Besides elaborating on the above-mentioned points, we also recommend that you evaluate your existing skill-set and think about the areas you could improve upon. In doing so, you will certainly have your answer :)

Hope this helps.

All the best!
$ 2Mn+ Scholarship Each Year Since 2010!
GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | MBA Interview Preparation
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Advice on goals essay   [#permalink] 18 Jul 2017, 20:47

Advice on goals essay

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap