GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Jun 2019, 03:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

After suffering the effects of several tsunamis, the residents of a Ja

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Re: After suffering the effects of several tsunamis, the residents of a Ja  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2019, 19:45
rupeshnverbal wrote:
'A way...'

isn't that absolute phrase?
No. It is an appositive. "A way..." is just a noun that is supposed to describe the wall.
V
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: After suffering the effects of several tsunamis, the residents of a Ja  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2019, 19:50
AjiteshArun wrote:
rupeshnverbal wrote:
IMO: after the comma, a modifier is used; modifier correctly modifying a wall.

Can anyone explain why A is incorrect?

Thanks in Advance
A way is like a method, and it's not very accurate to call a wall a method.

You could also try the official question that this question is based on.

Really thanks AjiteshArun for your kind simple explanation and pointing out the OG question. Now I understood the logic behind it.
CEO
CEO
V

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2019, 20:02
Mo2men wrote:
Really thanks AjiteshArun for your kind simple explanation and pointing out the OG question. Now I understood the logic behind it.
And thank you for the kind words, Mo2men. I think that it was a great gesture from your side to take the time to add that reply. :)

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2019, 20:18
Quote:
After suffering the effects of several tsunamis, the residents of a Japanese city built a wall on their coast over forty feet high and a mile long, a way to protect the city against another disaster.

A) a way to protect
B) in efforts to protect
C) protecting
D) to protect in one way
E) in order to protect

The right answer is C and here is the quick way to get there. The final clause must have an action within it, or it is not a clause. "protecting" is the only option that has an action taking place, hence it is the right answer.

- Matoo
B
After suffering the effects of several tsunamis, the residents of a Ja  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2019, 18:30
AjiteshArun wrote:
Mo2men wrote:
And thank you for the kind words, Mo2men. I think that it was a great gesture from your side to take the time to add that reply. :)

Hi Ajitesharun
My query got lost in the thread unanswered. Request your help. The Japanese made an ATTEMPT/EFFORT to protect the city; they didn't protect it.
The correct choice(C) says that Japanese built the wall, protecting the city.
CEO
CEO
V

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2019, 05:09
AKY13 wrote:
Hi Ajitesharun
My query got lost in the thread unanswered. Request your help. The Japanese made an ATTEMPT/EFFORT to protect the city; they didn't protect it.
Hi AKY13,

My apologies. I must have looked at only the most recent post.

I get your "attempt/effort" point. There are a couple of things to consider here:

1. It's really hard to say whether the wall proved effective, so it's hard to take a call on whether this was just an attempt or not (an attempt may be successful or unsuccessful).
2. The sentence really focuses on only one thing. This means that even if we go with effort, we should go with "in an effort to" and not "in efforts to". The plural efforts would imply that many "efforts" were made.

There's no real harm going through this question, but don't forget that at the end of the day, this is a (not very good) copy of an official question. Whatever we feel about the options in this question, we must make sure we understand why option C is the correct answer to that official question.
B
After suffering the effects of several tsunamis, the residents of a Ja  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 29 May 2019, 18:05
AjiteshArun wrote:
AKY13 wrote:
Hi Ajitesharun
Hi AKY13,

My apologies. I must have looked at only the most recent post.

I get your "attempt/effort" point. There are a couple of things to consider here:

1. It's really hard to say whether the wall proved effective, so it's hard to take a call on whether this was just an attempt or not (an attempt may be successful or unsuccessful).
2. The sentence really focuses on only one thing. This means that even if we go with effort, we should go with "in an effort to" and not "in efforts to". The plural efforts would imply that many "efforts" were made.

There's no real harm going through this question, but don't forget that at the end of the day, this is a (not very good) copy of an official question. Whatever we feel about the options in this question, we must make sure we understand why option C is the correct answer to that official question.

Ajitesharun
Thanks for enlightening with the dynamics of GMAT.
Then why won't E be better than C.
"in order to protect"
To me, option E gives the intended meaning.

Originally posted by AKY13 on 28 May 2019, 18:33.
Last edited by AKY13 on 29 May 2019, 18:05, edited 1 time in total.
CEO
CEO
V

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2019, 19:50
AKY13 wrote:
Ajitesharun
Thanks for enlightening with the dynamics of GMAT.
Then why won't E be better than C.
"in order to protect"
To me, option E gives a intended meaning.
Again, I get what you're trying to say about option E, but we should really shift our focus to the official question now. There is no significant difference between "in order to protect" in the last option of this question and "to protect" in the last option of the official question. The non-underlined part of this question, however, is not a very good copy of the official question. In the official question, there is a problem in the meaning of option E. In this question, that particular problem is not there.

As I said earlier, there is no real harm in doing this question, but you should make sure that you are comfortable choosing C in the official question.
Re: After suffering the effects of several tsunamis, the residents of a Ja   [#permalink] 28 May 2019, 19:50

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 28 posts ] 

After suffering the effects of several tsunamis, the residents of a Ja

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics