GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 06 Dec 2019, 04:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Alba: I don’t intend to vote for Senator Frank in the next election.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Math Expert
V
Alba: I don’t intend to vote for Senator Frank in the next election.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2019, 23:13
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

79% (01:32) correct 21% (01:26) wrong based on 52 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Competition Mode Question

Alba: I don’t intend to vote for Senator Frank in the next election. She is not a strong supporter of the war against crime.

Tam: But Senator Frank sponsored the latest anticrime law passed by the Senate.

Alba: If Senator Frank sponsored it, it can’t be a very strong anticrime law.

Which of the following identifies the most serious logical flaw in Alba’s reasoning?

(A) The facts she presents do not support her conclusion that Senator Frank is soft on crime.
(B) She assumes without proof that crime is the most important issue in the upcoming election.
(C) She argues in a circle, using an unsupported assertion to dismiss conflicting evidence.
(D) She attacks Senator Frank on personal grounds rather than on he merit as a political leader.
(E) In deciding not to vote for Senator Frank, she fails to consider issues other than crime.

S
Concentration: Other, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
CAT Tests
Re: Alba: I don’t intend to vote for Senator Frank in the next election.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2019, 23:43
C is the most probable answer

All other options are not related to the reasoning at hand
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: Ross '22, ISB '20, NUS '20
GPA: 4
Reviews Badge
Re: Alba: I don’t intend to vote for Senator Frank in the next election.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2019, 00:31
A - there is no evidence for her assumption.
B - irrelevant
C - Correct
D - irrelevant
E - irrelevant

OA:C
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
V
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2019, 00:34
IMO C: is correct
She argues in a circle, using an unsupported assertion to dismiss conflicting evidence.

Alba: I don’t intend to vote for Senator Frank in the next election. She is not a strong supporter of the war against crime.

Which of the following identifies the most serious logical flaw in Alba’s reasoning?

(A) The facts she presents do not support her conclusion that Senator Frank is soft on crime.
(B) She assumes without proof that crime is the most important issue in the upcoming election.
(C) She argues in a circle, using an unsupported assertion to dismiss conflicting evidence.
(D) She attacks Senator Frank on personal grounds rather than on he merit as a political leader.
(E) In deciding not to vote for Senator Frank, she fails to consider issues other than crime.
VP
VP
D
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2019, 01:15
Her reasoning questions the credentials of the anticrime law, which is not sync with her claim that Senator is not a supporter of war against crime in the first place.
So, her reasoning does not support her claim

IMO Option A
Director
Director
P
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2019, 03:47
The right answer is option C.

Alba Concluded that she does not intend to vote for Senator Frank in the next election on the premise that the Senator is not a strong supporter of the war against crime.
Tam came in provided a fact that the Senator actually sponsored the latest anticrime law passes by the Senate. Alba maintained her stance by claiming that if the Senator sponsored the latest anticrime law, then the law in question couldn't be a very strong anticrime law.

What does Alba mean by the law that was sponsored by Senator Frank is not a strong anticrime law? She doesn't provide any further explanations to justify why she thinks the law couldn't be a strong anticrime law. She, therefore, failed to provide a valid fact to counter the fact provided by Tam that Senator Frank actually sponsored the latest anticrime law passes by Senate.

Option C states that Alba argues in a circle, using an unsupported assertion to dismiss conflicting evidence. This is exactly the flaw in Alba reasoning in line with the above. The answer is, therefore, option C in my view.
Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2019, 04:07
Quote:

ARGUMENT
Alba believes that, [prem] since F is not a strong supporter of war on crime, F's support for an anticrime law is not enough to change Alba's mind; even though, these are explicitly conflicting.

(A) the fact she presented that F does not strongly support war on crime, might support her conclusion;
(B) irrelevant;
(D) irrelevant;
(E) irrelevant;

Ans (C) F does not strongly support war, however, she did support an anticrime law - these are conflicting, and Alba dismissed this.
Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2019, 21:32
Alba claims that she won't vote for senator Frank because he does not support war crime. She also refutes the argument that senator had sponsored the latest anti crime law by saying the law was not strong.

IMO C

She is arguing in a circle and refutes the evidence

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Alba: I don’t intend to vote for Senator Frank in the next election.   [#permalink] 26 Nov 2019, 21:32

Alba: I don’t intend to vote for Senator Frank in the next election.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics