Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:45 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618920 [25]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1040 [7]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 136
Concentration: Other, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 506 [0]
Given Kudos: 207
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 580 Q48 V21
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: Alba: I don’t intend to vote for Senator Frank in the next election. [#permalink]
A - there is no evidence for her assumption.
B - irrelevant
C - Correct
D - irrelevant
E - irrelevant

OA:C
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4096 [1]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GMAT Focus 1:
545 Q79 V79 DI73
GPA: 4
WE:Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Alba: I don’t intend to vote for Senator Frank in the next election. [#permalink]
Kudos
IMO C: is correct
She argues in a circle, using an unsupported assertion to dismiss conflicting evidence.

Alba: I don’t intend to vote for Senator Frank in the next election. She is not a strong supporter of the war against crime.

Tam: But Senator Frank sponsored the latest anticrime law passed by the Senate.

Alba: If Senator Frank sponsored it, it can’t be a very strong anticrime law.

Which of the following identifies the most serious logical flaw in Alba’s reasoning?

(A) The facts she presents do not support her conclusion that Senator Frank is soft on crime.
(B) She assumes without proof that crime is the most important issue in the upcoming election.
(C) She argues in a circle, using an unsupported assertion to dismiss conflicting evidence.
(D) She attacks Senator Frank on personal grounds rather than on he merit as a political leader.
(E) In deciding not to vote for Senator Frank, she fails to consider issues other than crime.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3450 [0]
Given Kudos: 162
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q51 V30
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Her reasoning questions the credentials of the anticrime law, which is not sync with her claim that Senator is not a supporter of war against crime in the first place.
So, her reasoning does not support her claim

IMO Option A
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1344 [1]
Given Kudos: 607
Send PM
Kudos
Quote:
Alba: I don’t intend to vote for Senator Frank in the next election. She is not a strong supporter of the war against crime.

Tam: But Senator Frank sponsored the latest anticrime law passed by the Senate.

Alba: If Senator Frank sponsored it, it can’t be a very strong anticrime law.

Which of the following identifies the most serious logical flaw in Alba’s reasoning?

(A) The facts she presents do not support her conclusion that Senator Frank is soft on crime.
(B) She assumes without proof that crime is the most important issue in the upcoming election.
(C) She argues in a circle, using an unsupported assertion to dismiss conflicting evidence.
(D) She attacks Senator Frank on personal grounds rather than on he merit as a political leader.
(E) In deciding not to vote for Senator Frank, she fails to consider issues other than crime.

ARGUMENT
Alba believes that, [prem] since F is not a strong supporter of war on crime, F's support for an anticrime law is not enough to change Alba's mind; even though, these are explicitly conflicting.

(A) the fact she presented that F does not strongly support war on crime, might support her conclusion;
(B) irrelevant;
(D) irrelevant;
(E) irrelevant;

Ans (C) F does not strongly support war, however, she did support an anticrime law - these are conflicting, and Alba dismissed this.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 281 [1]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
Schools:
GPA: 3.75
WE:Pharmaceuticals (Health Care)
Send PM
Kudos
Alba claims that she won't vote for senator Frank because he does not support war crime. She also refutes the argument that senator had sponsored the latest anti crime law by saying the law was not strong.

IMO C

She is arguing in a circle and refutes the evidence

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: Alba: I dont intend to vote for Senator Frank in the next election. [#permalink]
madgmat2019 wrote:
A - there is no evidence for her assumption.
B - irrelevant
C - Correct
D - irrelevant
E - irrelevant

OA:C

Why is D a wrong answer, In my opinion it is as valid as C. Why not?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
Send PM
Re: Alba: I dont intend to vote for Senator Frank in the next election. [#permalink]
Why A is wrong? I think A and C both imply that Alba cannot provide enough evidence to support that Frank is not a strong supporter of the war against crime.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts