GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 07 Aug 2020, 11:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red su

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GPA: 3.65
WE: Engineering (Other)
Reviews Badge
Re: Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red su  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2020, 06:24
daagh wrote:
This is one question said to be from official sources according to the LINK given below (in its attached file.)
https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-most-com ... 40372.html

Quote:
23. Heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved from the previous year, only look less appetizing than their round and red supermarket cousins, often green and striped, or have plenty of bumps and bruises, but are more flavorful.

A. cousins, often green and striped, or have plenty of bumps and bruises, but are
B. cousins, often green and striped, or with plenty of bumps and bruises, although
C. cousins, often green and striped, or they have plenty of bumps and bruises, although they are
D. cousins; they are often green and striped, or with plenty of bumps and bruises, although
E. cousins; they are often green and striped, or have plenty of bumps and bruises, but they are

This is another from OG sources.
https://gmatclub.com/forum/although-app ... 87-60.html

Quote:
OG16 SC118

Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins, heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year – they are often green and striped, or have plenty of bumps and bruises – heirlooms are more flavorful and thus in increasing demand.

A Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins, heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year
B Although heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year, appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins
C Although they appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins, heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year
D Grown from seeds saved during the previous year, heirloom tomatoes appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins
E Heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year, although they appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins

Which one is the correct official version?

Dear,

OG questions may sometimes slightly differ from year to year. This question might be one of them.

Regards.
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
WE: Engineering (Military & Defense)
Re: Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red su  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2020, 01:01
[quote="macjas"]Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins, heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year—they are often green and striped, or have plenty of bumps and bruises—heirlooms are more flavorful and thus in increasing demand.

(A) Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins, heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year (Here it appears that the first prahse is modifying main subject heirloom tomatoes but instead of verb we find a comma which is wrong)

(B) Although heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year, appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins

(C) Although they appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins, heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year (Same as (A), Verb for main subject missing)

(D) Grown from seeds saved during the previous year, heirloom tomatoes appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins (Though this one is close. There is no contrast indicating word such as although so B is preferred)

(E) Heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year, although they appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins (Remove modifier phrase between commas and sentence still should make sense but "they" makes it wrong)
SVP
SVP
V
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2020, 11:46
Quote:
Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins, heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year – they are often green and striped, or have plenty of bumps and bruises – heirlooms are more flavorful and thus in increasing demand.

A Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins, heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year
B Although heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year, appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins
C Although they appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins, heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year
D Grown from seeds saved during the previous year, heirloom tomatoes appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins
E Heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year, although they appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins

Hello Experts:
MartyTargetTestPrep, GMATNinja, GMATGuruNY, AjiteshArun, MentorTutoring, EducationAisle, generis

So, the correct sentence (B) is:

Although heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year, appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins – they are often green and striped, or have plenty of bumps and bruises – heirlooms are more flavorful and thus in increasing demand.
The core is:
Although heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year, appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins – they are often green and striped, or have plenty of bumps and bruises – heirlooms are more flavorful and thus in increasing demand.

Although heirloom tomatoes appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins heirlooms are more flavorful and thus in increasing demand.
In this version, why we did not use the pronoun of 'heirloom tomatoes' in the 2nd highlighted part?
What if I say:
Although Mr. Robert is a member of GMAT Club, Mr. Robert did blah blah blah....
Should I use 'Mr. Robert' for the 2nd time? Shouldn't we use the pronoun of 'Mr. Robert'?
Thanks__
Tutor
V

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2020, 15:06
Asad wrote:
Quote:

Hello Experts:
MartyTargetTestPrep, GMATNinja, GMATGuruNY, AjiteshArun, MentorTutoring, EducationAisle, generis

So, the correct sentence (B) is:

The core is:

Although heirloom tomatoes appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins heirlooms are more flavorful and thus in increasing demand.
In this version, why we did not use the pronoun of 'heirloom tomatoes' in the 2nd highlighted part?
What if I say:
Although Mr. Robert is a member of GMAT Club, Mr. Robert did blah blah blah....
Should I use 'Mr. Robert' for the 2nd time? Shouldn't we use the pronoun of 'Mr. Robert'?
Thanks__

Hello, Asad. There is no problem with referring to a variety of tomato, the heirloom, by its truncated form heirlooms later in the sentence. It is no different from shortening the adjectival form of the item to its nominative form in the following sentence shells:

1) Although the hooded sweatshirt... hoodies have made a comeback in recent years.

2) Although the convertible top on some earlier models of automobiles... convertibles continue to roam the streets year after year.

If the noun clearly refers back to the earlier adjective-noun iteration, even if, as in the second sentence above, that phrase is stretched out quite a bit, then there is no issue to speak of. In that second sentence, no one is going to misinterpret it as saying that convertible tops are roaming the streets, but that, logically, it must be cars or autos with convertible tops, commonly known as convertibles, that are doing the roaming instead.

I hope that helps. If you have further questions, feel free to ask.

- Andrew
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2020, 10:16
So B states "Although heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year, appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins".

I agree that P.O.E leaves us with B here but i am not able understand that the usage of 'their' in this sentence. I actually forgot the rule of possessive pronouns on GMAT. Can someone please brush up on that topic. So possessive pronoun (after the noun is addressed) can refer to that particular noun? And that same rule wouldnt work if possessive pronoun appears before the noun?
SVP
SVP
D
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2020, 22:26
Krishchamp wrote:
I actually forgot the rule of possessive pronouns on GMAT.

Hi Krishchamp, I don't believe there is any such rule (worth remembering).

Possessive pronouns can refer to both possessive nouns and to non-possessive nouns.
EducationAisle Online GMAT Classes

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Join us for a free GMAT Live Online Class from anywhere in the world
SVP
SVP
V
GMAT ToolKit User
Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red su  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2020, 04:56
Quote:
Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins, heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year--they are often green and striped, or have plenty of bumps and bruises--heirlooms are more flavorful and thus in increasing demand.

(E) Heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year, although they appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins

Hi honorable experts,
VeritasPrepHailey, AnthonyRitz

Can I say that E is wrong because 2 consecutive modifiers (1/grown from seeds saved during the previous year; and 2/although they appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins..) CAN'T modify one thing (noun)!
SVP
SVP
D

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2020, 05:15
TheUltimateWinner wrote:
Can I say that E is wrong because 2 consecutive modifiers (1/grown from seeds saved during the previous year; and 2/although they appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins..) CAN'T modify one thing (noun)!

Hi TheUltimateWinner, notice the structure of E:

Heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year, although they appear less appetizing...

Does't that sound absurd? It's basically saying:

Heirloom tomatoes (are) grown from seeds saved during the previous year, although they appear less appetizing...

This suggests that despite the fact that Heirloom tomatoes appear less appetizing, they are grown from seeds saved during the previous year!

However, that doesn't make sense. The fact that Heirloom tomatoes appear less appetizing is independent of the fact that they are grown from seeds saved during the previous year!

SVP
SVP
V
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2020, 08:30
EducationAisle wrote:
TheUltimateWinner wrote:

Hi TheUltimateWinner, notice the structure of E:

Heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year, although they appear less appetizing...

Does't that sound absurd? It's basically saying:

Heirloom tomatoes (are) grown from seeds saved during the previous year, although they appear less appetizing...

This suggests that despite the fact that Heirloom tomatoes appear less appetizing, they are grown from seeds saved during the previous year!

However, that doesn't make sense. The fact that Heirloom tomatoes appear less appetizing is independent of the fact that they are grown from seeds saved during the previous year!

EducationAisle
Thanks for the reply.
It's ok, but my question is all about 'elimination process'!
Question: Can I remove any answer option(s) by seeing the 'consecutive modifiers', which modify just ONE thing?
That's it...
SVP
SVP
D

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2020, 18:48
TheUltimateWinner wrote:
Question: Can I remove any answer option(s) by seeing the 'consecutive modifiers', which modify just ONE thing?

Hi TheUltimateWinner, consecutive modifiers modifying the same entity, is indeed not a great construct. However, I recollect coming across an official question where this construct was acceptable (can't recall the exact question).

So, I would like to club these kind of constructs in the not preferable category.

SVP
SVP
V
GMAT ToolKit User
Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red su  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2020, 22:55
I would be very very greatful to you if you can help me by giving an official example where 2 conservative modifiers (staying side by side) modify the SAME thing in the correct answer choice.
EducationAisle wrote:
TheUltimateWinner wrote:

Hi TheUltimateWinner, consecutive modifiers modifying the same entity, is indeed not a great construct. However, I recollect coming across an official question where this construct was acceptable (can't recall the exact question).

So, I would like to club these kind of constructs in the not preferable category.

Posted from my mobile device
VP
VP
P

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2020, 02:37
regarding choice b
the point to learn from choice B is that an independent clause can be used to modify a noun. normally, which clause, relative clause should be in this position. but an independant clause separated by dash is good.

if we do not know this rule, we can eliminate other choices by realizing that they are totally wrong. knowing this rule in advance helps us a lot.
SVP
SVP
D

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2020, 04:23
TheUltimateWinner wrote:
I would be very very greatful to you if you can help me by giving an official example where 2 conservative modifiers (staying side by side) modify the SAME thing in the correct answer choice

Will certainly reproduce that example here if/when I come across that sentence again.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red su   [#permalink] 26 Jul 2020, 04:23

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 53 posts ] 

Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red su

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics