GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Feb 2019, 14:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
272829303112
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
242526272812
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Online GMAT boot camp for FREE

     February 21, 2019

     February 21, 2019

     10:00 PM PST

     11:00 PM PST

    Kick off your 2019 GMAT prep with a free 7-day boot camp that includes free online lessons, webinars, and a full GMAT course access. Limited for the first 99 registrants! Feb. 21st until the 27th.
  • Free GMAT RC Webinar

     February 23, 2019

     February 23, 2019

     07:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Learn reading strategies that can help even non-voracious reader to master GMAT RC. Saturday, February 23rd at 7 AM PT

Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red su

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

 
Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 2897
Location: Germany
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red su  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2016, 01:20
1
iMyself wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
iMyself wrote:
But, If I say:
I've a sister who can solve difficult math and whose friend can easily make clear verbal part.
In this example,
''who can solve difficult math'' modify "sister"
"whose friend can easily make clear verbal part" also modify "sister"
Here, I see, Both the modifier modify the same noun (sister) in a row.
Thanks brother...


No brother, there is "and" in between. You may join two modifiers with a conjunction. The following would be incorrect:
I've a sister who can solve difficult math, whose friend can easily make clear verbal part.... wrong.
Director
Director
User avatar
P
Joined: 23 Feb 2015
Posts: 699
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red su  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2016, 02:19
sayantanc2k wrote:
iMyself wrote:
But, If I say:
I've a sister who can solve difficult math and whose friend can easily make clear verbal part.
In this example,
''who can solve difficult math'' modify "sister"
"whose friend can easily make clear verbal part" also modify "sister"
Here, I see, Both the modifier modify the same noun (sister) in a row.
Thanks brother...


No brother, there is "and" in between. You may join two modifiers with a conjunction. The following would be incorrect:
I've a sister who can solve difficult math, whose friend can easily make clear verbal part.... wrong.


I've a sister who can solve difficult math and whose friend can easily make clear verbal part.
I think, my sentence is perfectly fine and also the two modifier modifies the same noun "sister", isn't it? Perhaps, you are talking about ''that modifier'' will be separated by comma and will in a row, then i can cross out the option if THE two modifier modifies the same noun and their position is in a row separated by comma, isn't it?
Thanks...
_________________

“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Director
Director
User avatar
B
Status: I don't stop when I'm Tired,I stop when I'm done
Joined: 11 May 2014
Posts: 534
Location: Bangladesh
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE: Business Development (Real Estate)
Re: Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red su  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2016, 04:41
Top Contributor
iMyself wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
iMyself wrote:
Hi sayantanc2k,
You said: 2 modifier can't modify the same thing (heirloom tomatoes) in a row. Now, I'm going to cross out some of the option of the question by this method.
Here,
part 1: " Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins"
Part 2: "heirloom tomatoes"
Part 3: " grown from seeds saved during the previous year"
In A: part 1 modify part 2. also, part 3 modify part 2...>cross out
In C: part 1 modify part 2. also, part 3 modify part 2...>cross out
In E: part 3 modify part 2. also, part 1 modify part 2....>cross out
Is it the wrong?
Thanks...


You have a misunderstanding it seems:

You are right that part 1 and part 3 are modifiers for part 2. But these 2 modifiers DO NOT come in a row one after the other - part 2 comes in between. Hence you cannot eliminate these choices based on modifier issue.

Okay. I get it. But, still query for E. Here, In E: Part 1, and part 3 come in a row one after other. So, may I eliminate choice E based on modifier issue?
Thanks...


Hi dear,

You can eliminate Choice E based on modifier issue

Answer (E) repeat the original error

There are two subjects without any kind of connecting word in between,Incorrect

Structure (E) : Heirloom tomatoes ,(modifier),(modifier)-(modifier)-heirlooms are <-----2 Subjects
_________________

Md. Abdur Rakib

Please Press +1 Kudos,If it helps
Sentence Correction-Collection of Ron Purewal's "elliptical construction/analogies" for SC Challenges

Director
Director
User avatar
P
Joined: 23 Feb 2015
Posts: 699
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red su  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 18 Dec 2016, 18:32
sayantanc2k wrote:
iMyself wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:

You have a misunderstanding it seems:

You are right that part 1 and part 3 are modifiers for part 2. But these 2 modifiers DO NOT come in a row one after the other - part 2 comes in between. Hence you cannot eliminate these choices based on modifier issue.

Okay. I get it. But, still query for E. Here, In E: Part 1, and part 3 come in a row one after other. So, may I eliminate choice E based on modifier issue?
Thanks...


Yes, your understanding is correct.


---------------------------
Hi sayantanc2k,
I got a sentence correction today where the ''consecutive modifiers'' can modify the same noun.
here is given that SC.

Originally developed for detecting air pollutants, a technique called proton-induced x-ray emission, which can quickly analyze the chemical elements in almost any substance without destroying it, is finding uses in medicine, archaeology, and criminology.

(A) Originally developed for detecting air pollutants, a technique called proton-induced x-ray emission, which can quickly analyze the chemical elements in almost any substance without destroying it,

(B) Originally developed for detecting air pollutants, having the ability to analyze the chemical elements in almost any substance without destroying it, a technique called proton induced x-ray emission

(C) A technique originally developed for detecting air pollutants, called proton-induced x-ray emission, which can quickly analyze the chemical elements in almost any substance without destroying it,

(D) A technique originally developed for detecting air pollutants, called proton-induced x-ray emission, which has the ability to analyze the chemical elements in almost any substance quickly and without destroying it,

(E) A technique that was originally developed for detecting air pollutants and has the ability to analyze the chemical elements in almost any substance quickly and without destroying the substance, called proton-induced x-ray emission,
Here, A is the correct answer.
in A, two consecutive modifiers modify the same noun ('A technique')
two consecutive modifiers are:
1/ ''called proton-induced x-ray emission''
2/ ''which can quickly analyze the chemical elements in almost any substance without destroying it''
Am I correct?
Thanks for your help.
_________________

“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow


Originally posted by AsadAbu on 10 Oct 2016, 13:45.
Last edited by AsadAbu on 18 Dec 2016, 18:32, edited 1 time in total.
Board of Directors
User avatar
P
Status: QA & VA Forum Moderator
Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Posts: 4391
Location: India
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red su  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2016, 10:10
shubhraghosh

Good point raised , keep such conceptual questions coming ...

Here is something which will certainly address your query ( From eGMAT) -

pronouns-debunking-popular-myths-intro-160811.html#p1272784

IMHO : The trick for this type of question is understanding the meaning of the question and then substituting both ( Or all ) the antecedents the Pronoun can refer to and check if the correct meaning is conveyed...

Request others to contribute their valuable opinion...
_________________

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 2897
Location: Germany
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red su  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2016, 10:18
1
iMyself wrote:

---------------------------
Hi sayantanc2k,
I got a sentence correction today where the ''consecutive modifiers'' can modify the same noun.
here is given that SC.

Originally developed for detecting air pollutants, a technique called proton-induced x-ray emission, which can quickly analyze the chemical elements in almost any substance without destroying it, is finding uses in medicine, archaeology, and criminology.

(A) Originally developed for detecting air pollutants, a technique called proton-induced x-ray emission, which can quickly analyze the chemical elements in almost any substance without destroying it,

(B) Originally developed for detecting air pollutants, having the ability to analyze the chemical elements in almost any substance without destroying it, a technique called proton induced x-ray emission

(C) A technique originally developed for detecting air pollutants, called proton-induced x-ray emission, which can quickly analyze the chemical elements in almost any substance without destroying it,

(D) A technique originally developed for detecting air pollutants, called proton-induced x-ray emission, which has the ability to analyze the chemical elements in almost any substance quickly and without destroying it,

(E) A technique that was originally developed for detecting air pollutants and has the ability to analyze the chemical elements in almost any substance quickly and without destroying the substance, called proton-induced x-ray emission,
Here, A is the correct answer.
in A, two consecutive modifiers modify the same noun ('A technique')
two consecutive modifiers are:
1/ ''called proton-induced x-ray emission''
2/ ''which can quickly analyze the chemical elements in almost any substance without destroying it''
Am I correct?
Thanks for your help.


The above post by RzS4v explains your query well. The noun phrase “a technique called proton-induced x-ray emission” is the subject - "technique" is the noun and "called proton-induced x-ray emission" is an adjectival phrase. The modifier "which can quickly analyze ..." modifies the complete noun phrase (noun+noun modifier).

Nonetheless your observation is valid. Technically there ARE two consecutive modifiers referring to the same noun. This is actually an exception to the modifier touch rule (ideally "which can quickly..." should refer to "emission") - the following excerpt from Manhattan SC guide explains this exception:


In general, noun modifiers must touch their nouns. However, there are a few exceptions to the Touch Rule.
1. A “mission-critical” modifier falls between. This modifier is often an of phrase that defines the noun. The less important modifier refers to the noun plus the first modifier.
Right: He had a wav OF DODGING OPPONENTS that impressed the scouts.
Here, the “mission-critical” modifier of dodging opponents defines the noun way.
Senior SC Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 14 Nov 2016
Posts: 1321
Location: Malaysia
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red su  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2017, 19:34
1
macjas wrote:
OG16 SC118
OG17 SC784

Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins, heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year—they are often green and striped, or have plenty of bumps and bruises—heirlooms are more flavorful and thus in increasing demand.

(A) Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins, heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year
(B) Although heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year, appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins
(C) Although they appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins, heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year
(D) Grown from seeds saved during the previous year, heirloom tomatoes appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins
(E) Heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year, although they appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins


First Glance

The underline is long, with multiple commas, and the sentence even includes dashes. Look for Structure, Meaning, Modifier, or Parallelism issues.

Issues

The core of the sentence is heirloom tomatoes & heirlooms are.

The core of this sentence would be equivalent to "Bob Anne are in town," as opposed to "Bob and Anne are in town." In other words, there are two subjects without any kind of connecting word in between - illegal move! Eliminate answer (A).

Scan the other answers to see whether any repeat this error.

(B) Although W, grown from X, appear Y, heirlooms are Z ...
(C) Although W, heirloom tomatoes, grown from X, heirlooms are Z
(D) Grown from X, heirloom tomatoes appear Y, heirlooms are Z ...
(E) Heirloom tomatoes, grown from X, although W, heirlooms are Z ...

While answer (D) does not repeat the exact error, it does introduce a different structural error. The core here is heirloom tomatoes appear Y heirlooms are Z. This is the equivalent of saying "Bob appears happy Bob is tall." This is a run-on sentence. Eliminate answer (D).

The Correct Answer

Correct answer (B) changes the sentence structure by placing heirloom tomatoes in the subordinate clause, leaving the later heirlooms as the sole subject of the sentence:

Although heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds, appear less appetizing - they are often green - heirlooms are more flavorful and thus in increasing demand.
Attachments

Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg [ 71.51 KiB | Viewed 1850 times ]


_________________

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Advanced Search : https://gmatclub.com/forum/advanced-search/

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 24 May 2017
Posts: 31
Re: Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red su  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2017, 13:20
Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins, heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year – they are often green and striped, or have plenty of bumps and bruises – heirlooms are more flavorful and thus in increasing demand.

(A) Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins, heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year - "heirloom tomatoes" wrongly placed

(B) Although heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year, appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins - CORRECT

(C) Although they appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins, heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year - "they" refers to what, is not clear + "heirloom tomatoes" wrongly placed

(D) Grown from seeds saved during the previous year, heirloom tomatoes appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins - "heirloom tomatoes" wrongly placed

(E) Heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year, although they appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins - what is "they" referring to us unclear
_________________

NOTE: I am not an expert, therefore my analysis answering the questions may be incorrect and may not be relied upon. However I will appreciate if you can correct the mistakes I may have made in my analysis.

Current Student
avatar
P
Joined: 17 Jun 2016
Posts: 501
Location: India
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.65
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red su  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2017, 12:19
Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins, heirloom
tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year—they are often green and striped, or have
plenty of bumps and bruises—heirlooms are more flavorful and thus in increasing demand.

The part between the “-“ is modifying the “cousins” (of heirloom tomatoes - HT)..hence the “cousins” should precede the “-“.

A. Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins, heirloom
tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year
Incorrect as explained above …

B. Although heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year, appear less
appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins
Correct…
The structure here is :
Although HT appear less X than their cousins, HT are more Y …

C. Although they appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins,
heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year
Incorrect as explained above …

D. Grown from seeds saved during the previous year, heirloom tomatoes appear less appetizing than
most of their round and red supermarket cousins
Two independent clauses “heirloom tomatoes appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins” and
“heirlooms are more flavorful and thus in increasing demand” are incorrectly separated by a comma only..we need a FANBOYS between these two clauses.

E. Heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year, although they appear less
appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins
We remove the modifier “grown from seeds…”, the sentence reads “Heirloom tomatoes although they appear less
appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins” …
Noun “Heirloom tomatoes” is already the subject of the sentence and hence pronoun “they” immediately succeeding the noun is redundant and ungrammatical
_________________

Compilation of Blogs by Mike Mcgarry - Magoosh

Retired Moderator
User avatar
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4685
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red su  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2017, 12:57
Top Contributor
This is one question said to be from official sources according to the LINK given below (in its attached file.)
https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-most-com ... 40372.html


Quote:
23. Heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved from the previous year, only look less appetizing than their round and red supermarket cousins, often green and striped, or have plenty of bumps and bruises, but are more flavorful.

A. cousins, often green and striped, or have plenty of bumps and bruises, but are
B. cousins, often green and striped, or with plenty of bumps and bruises, although
C. cousins, often green and striped, or they have plenty of bumps and bruises, although they are
D. cousins; they are often green and striped, or with plenty of bumps and bruises, although
E. cousins; they are often green and striped, or have plenty of bumps and bruises, but they are


This is another from OG sources.
https://gmatclub.com/forum/although-app ... 87-60.html


Quote:
OG16 SC118

Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins, heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year – they are often green and striped, or have plenty of bumps and bruises – heirlooms are more flavorful and thus in increasing demand.

A Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins, heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year
B Although heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year, appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins
C Although they appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins, heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year
D Grown from seeds saved during the previous year, heirloom tomatoes appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins
E Heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year, although they appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins

Which one is the correct official version?
_________________

GMAT coaching under able guidance is only half expensive and time-consuming as a self-study in the final reckoning

e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
P
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 2796
Re: Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red su  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2017, 13:30
1
leanhdung wrote:
Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins, heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous yearthey are often green and striped, or have plenty of bumps and bruises – heirlooms are more flavorful and thus in increasing demand.

(A) Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins, heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year
--> lack of main verb for subordinate clause.

(B) Although heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year, appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins
--> correct.

(C) Although they appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins, heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year

(D) Grown from seeds saved during the previous year, heirloom tomatoes appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins
--> lack of conjunction.

(E) Heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year, although they appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins
--> lack of conjunction.



Hello leanhdung,

You have analyzed this official sentence quite nicely.

I would just like to say that Choice E is incorrect because there is no verb for the subject heirloom tomatoes in this choice.


Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
_________________








Everything you need to ace the GMAT and more
Basics of the GMAT
GMAT Exam Strategies
GMAT Study Plans
GMAT Verbal Subject Matter
GMAT AWA & IR




| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
P
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 2796
Re: Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red su  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2017, 13:40
2
Sahil01 wrote:
Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins, heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year – they are often green and striped, or have plenty of bumps and bruises – heirlooms are more flavorful and thus in increasing demand.

(A) Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins, heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year - "heirloom tomatoes" wrongly placed

(B) Although heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year, appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins - CORRECT

(C) Although they appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins, heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year - "they" refers to what, is not clear + "heirloom tomatoes" wrongly placed

(D) Grown from seeds saved during the previous year, heirloom tomatoes appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins - "heirloom tomatoes" wrongly placed

(E) Heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year, although they appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins - what is "they" referring to us unclear



Hello Sahil01,


Although you arrived at the correct answer choice for this rather official question, you reasons to reject incorrect answer choices is not correct.

Following are the errors in the incorrect answer choices.:

Choice A: Incorrect because there is no verb for the subject heirloom tomatoes.

Choice B: Correct Answer.

Choice C: Incorrect because there is no verb for the subject heirloom tomatoes.

Choice D: Incorrect.
1. There is no contrast word in this choice. So the intended contrast between the two types of tomatoes is missing per this choice.
2. There is no connector to join two independent clauses are heirloom tomatoes appear... and they are often green and striped....

Choice E: Incorrect because there is no verb for the subject heirloom tomatoes.


Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
_________________








Everything you need to ace the GMAT and more
Basics of the GMAT
GMAT Exam Strategies
GMAT Study Plans
GMAT Verbal Subject Matter
GMAT AWA & IR




| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Intern
Intern
avatar
S
Joined: 20 Jul 2012
Posts: 25
Reviews Badge
Re: Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red su  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2018, 15:41
EducationAisle wrote:
MeghaP wrote:
Could you please elaborate as to why option D is incorrect? Also how do we decide on the usage of em dash?

Hi Megha, with D, the sentence would be:

Grown from seeds saved during the previous year, heirloom tomatoes appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins – they are often green and striped, or have plenty of bumps and bruises-heirlooms are more flavorful and thus in increasing demand.

The portion between the dash is called parenthetical: It interrupts the core sentence, to make a point. So, to expose the core of the sentence, we can look at the sentence without the parenthetical. So, the core of the sentence is:

Grown from seeds saved during the previous year, heirloom tomatoes appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins, heirlooms are more flavorful and thus in increasing demand.

Now it becomes clearer. There are two two Independent clauses here:

i) Grown from seeds saved during the previous year, heirloom tomatoes appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins
ii) Heirlooms are more flavorful and thus in increasing demand

The issue is that this is (what is called) a run-on sentence. Basically, two Independent clauses have to be connected by a conjunction or a semicolon. We cannot just have a blank or a comma connecting two Independent clauses.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses run-on sentences, their application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id, I can mail the corresponding section.




Dear Experts,
Just so that i understand this correctly, —they are often green and striped, or have plenty of bumps and bruises— is a modifier modifying Heirloom tomatoes ...... does it not need to be close to the noun it modifies?
Here it's kinda spaced very far and there are other possible (but less probable) subjects such as supermarket cousins which this modifier could still potentially point to.
_________________

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mega collection of All RCs from GMAT, GRE & LSAT https://gmatclub.com/forum/mega-rc-collection-from-gmat-gre-lsat-273512.html
Mega collection of CRs from various sources (including LSAT) https://gmatclub.com/forum/mega-critical-reasoning-cr-collection-274044.html

Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 14 Jul 2014
Posts: 92
Location: India
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 620 Q41 V34
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red su  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2018, 21:01
4
grsm wrote:
EducationAisle wrote:
MeghaP wrote:
Could you please elaborate as to why option D is incorrect? Also how do we decide on the usage of em dash?

Hi Megha, with D, the sentence would be:

Grown from seeds saved during the previous year, heirloom tomatoes appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins – they are often green and striped, or have plenty of bumps and bruises-heirlooms are more flavorful and thus in increasing demand.

The portion between the dash is called parenthetical: It interrupts the core sentence, to make a point. So, to expose the core of the sentence, we can look at the sentence without the parenthetical. So, the core of the sentence is:

Grown from seeds saved during the previous year, heirloom tomatoes appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins, heirlooms are more flavorful and thus in increasing demand.

Now it becomes clearer. There are two two Independent clauses here:

i) Grown from seeds saved during the previous year, heirloom tomatoes appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins
ii) Heirlooms are more flavorful and thus in increasing demand

The issue is that this is (what is called) a run-on sentence. Basically, two Independent clauses have to be connected by a conjunction or a semicolon. We cannot just have a blank or a comma connecting two Independent clauses.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses run-on sentences, their application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id, I can mail the corresponding section.




Dear Experts,
Just so that i understand this correctly, —they are often green and striped, or have plenty of bumps and bruises— is a modifier modifying Heirloom tomatoes ...... does it not need to be close to the noun it modifies?
Here it's kinda spaced very far and there are other possible (but less probable) subjects such as supermarket cousins which this modifier could still potentially point to.


Dear grsm,

I'm not an expert here, but more than happy to respond on this issue of use of dash(-).
The dash (—) is a flexible punctuation mark that you would encounter on GMAT occasionally.
It is flexible because of multiple reasons:

Quote:
1. You can use dash in place of an emphatic comma, semi colon or colon.
For e.g. By January 2,2000, the so-called "Y2K problem" was already widely considered a joke— although the reason for the non-event was the huge corporate and governmental investment in prior countermeasures.
Either a comma or a dash is fine in the sentence above.

Quote:
2. You can use dash to explain or restate an earlier part of the sentence. Unlike colon the dash doesn't need to be immediately preceded by the part needing explanation.
For e.g. 1. Post-MBA compensation for investment bankers tends to surge far ahead of that for management consultants— by tens, if not hundreds, of thou­ sands of dollars a year.
2. Although heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved during the previous year, appear less appetizing than most of their round and red supermarket cousins—they are often green and striped, or have plenty of bumps and bruises—heirlooms are more flavorful and thus in increasing demand.
So in the sentence under consideration the information in the dash undoubtably modifies the heirloom tomatoes and not red supermarket cousins that immediately precedes the dash

Reference: Manhattan GMAT Sentence Correction.
I hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Status: eternal student
Joined: 06 Mar 2018
Posts: 143
Location: Kazakhstan
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.87
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red su  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2019, 03:20
hazelnut wrote:

First Glance

The underline is long, with multiple commas, and the sentence even includes dashes. Look for Structure, Meaning, Modifier, or Parallelism issues.

Issues

The core of the sentence is heirloom tomatoes & heirlooms are.

The core of this sentence would be equivalent to "Bob Anne are in town," as opposed to "Bob and Anne are in town." In other words, there are two subjects without any kind of connecting word in between - illegal move! Eliminate answer (A).

Scan the other answers to see whether any repeat this error.

(B) Although W, grown from X, appear Y, heirlooms are Z ...
(C) Although W, heirloom tomatoes, grown from X, heirlooms are Z
(D) Grown from X, heirloom tomatoes appear Y, heirlooms are Z ...
(E) Heirloom tomatoes, grown from X, although W, heirlooms are Z ...

While answer (D) does not repeat the exact error, it does introduce a different structural error. The core here is heirloom tomatoes appear Y heirlooms are Z. This is the equivalent of saying "Bob appears happy Bob is tall." This is a run-on sentence. Eliminate answer (D).

The Correct Answer

Correct answer (B) changes the sentence structure by placing heirloom tomatoes in the subordinate clause, leaving the later heirlooms as the sole subject of the sentence:

Although heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds, appear less appetizing - they are often green - heirlooms are more flavorful and thus in increasing demand.


hazelnut thank you so much, your simple explanation enlightened all my doubts
_________________

(no one is ideal, please correct if you see any mistakes or gaps in my explanation, it will be helpful for both of us, thank you)

___________________
Practice makes perfect!


It is pointless to try to study if it is not fun, then it becomes a chore. At that point, you will either hate your studies or became afraid of them.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red su   [#permalink] 26 Jan 2019, 03:20

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 35 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Although appearing less appetizing than most of their round and red su

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.