GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Oct 2018, 01:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Although custom prosthetic bone replacements produced

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 14 May 2006
Posts: 1342
Although custom prosthetic bone replacements produced  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2006, 10:29
5
10
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  5% (low)

Question Stats:

87% (01:39) correct 13% (02:04) wrong based on 2382 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Although custom prosthetic bone replacements produced through a new computer-aided design process will cost more than twice as much as ordinary replacements, custom replacements should still be cost-effective. Not only will surgery and recovery time be reduced, but custom replacements should last longer; thereby reducing the need for further hospital stays.

Which of the following must be studied in order to evaluate the argument presented above?

(A) The amount of time a patient spends in surgery versus the amount of time spent recovering from surgery

(B) The amount by which the cost of producing custom replacements has declined with the introduction of the new technique for producing them

(C) The degree to which the use of custom replacements is likely to reduce the need for repeat surgery when compared with the use of ordinary replacements

(D) The degree to which custom replacements produced with the new technique are more carefully manufactured than are ordinary replacements

(E) The amount by which custom replacements produced with the new technique will drop in cost as the production procedures become standardized and applicable on a larger scale

Please explain

Disclaimer: for those of you who worry about the source I can surely admit that KAPLAN, ARCO and BARRONS are not it!!! And by the way, is there any explicit list about what sources not to post the questions from... I haven't seen it and I urge everyone just to answer the questions... I received a couple of PMs about this... saying the questions I posted were good.... and some of you are not really happy.... I am :? but I guess you can't please everyone!!! :wink:
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesMath Revolution Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 26 Sep 2005
Posts: 540
Location: Munich,Germany
Re: Although custom prosthetic bone replacements produced  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2006, 10:55
1
1
u2lover wrote:
Although custom prosthetic bone replacements produced through a new computer-aided design process will cost more than twice as much as ordinary replacements, custom replacements should still be cost-effective. Not only will surgery and recovery time be reduced, but custom replacements should last longer; thereby reducing the need for further hospital stays.

Which of the following must be studied in order to evaluate the argument presented above?

(A) The amount of time a patient spends in surgery versus the amount of time spent recovering from surgery

(B) The amount by which the cost of producing custom replacements has declined with the introduction of the new technique for producing them

(C) The degree to which the use of custom replacements is likely to reduce the need for repeat surgery when compared with the use of ordinary replacements

(D) The degree to which custom replacements produced with the new technique are more carefully manufactured than are ordinary replacements

(E) The amount by which custom replacements produced with the new technique will drop in cost as the production procedures become standardized and applicable on a larger scale

Please explain

Disclaimer: for those of you who worry about the source I can surely admit that KAPLAN, ARCO and BARRONS are not it!!! And by the way, is there any explicit list about what sources not to post the questions from... I haven't seen it and I urge everyone just to answer the questions... I received a couple of PMs about this... saying the questions I posted were good.... and some of you are not really happy.... I am :? but I guess you can't please everyone!!! :wink:


I'll go with C.

1. The amount of time spent on surgery and recovery is irrelevant, we need to focus on costs here.

2.The cost of producing these custom replacements might be down but that doesnt help us evaluate whether we will need to spend more on these replacements in the future.

3. Yes- this helps , only if this new replacement minimises or eliminates further surgery only then will it justify the investment, else you need to shell out more money. If this replacement requires surgery as frequently then the ordinary treatment holds good.

4. Manufacturing safety is not the issue here.

5. Production cost is irrelevant.

u2, chillax, just post whatever you have to, people are free to respond if they're interested.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 26 Jun 2006
Posts: 427
Re: Although custom prosthetic bone replacements produced  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2006, 17:20
(A) Wrong....the custom technique saves on both surgery and post surgery....no point in comparing one versus the other.

(B) There is no mention of long term production cost as an advantage..no point in finding that out.

(C) Yes....this could provide quantitative numbers for the adv mentioned.

(D) Not useful

(E) Not useful
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 19 Apr 2006
Posts: 229
Re: Although custom prosthetic bone replacements produced  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2006, 18:12
A. focus needs to be long term...
B. out of scope
C. this creates the proper comparison between the custom and the ordinary method. Thought it may cost more at front, in the long run could potentially reduce cost as a whole.

D. don't care about manufacturing..here..
E. out of scope...

C is my answer....

hahaha u2: don't take it to heart...like you say, can't please everyone... keep um coming...
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 02 Jun 2006
Posts: 1222
Re: Although custom prosthetic bone replacements produced  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2006, 20:54
(C) The degree to which the use of custom replacements is likely to reduce the need for repeat surgery when compared with the use of ordinary replacements


C & D are the possible choices. A, B, E are out of scope.

D falls off as it talks about "careful" manufacturing, which is not out of scope but is not required to analyse the given stem.

Therefore, C.
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 30 Mar 2006
Posts: 1676
Re: Although custom prosthetic bone replacements produced  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2006, 21:17
First of all ....... Let me clarify....... I made a comment on the source in my earlier post but in no way I want to discourage you to post any kind of question.
As I gather the purpose of the forum is to tickle your senses and fine tune them into GMAT.
Also I trully believe that practice makes a man/woman perfect hence throw anything you have got.....

For this question ..... will go with C.

The author clearly states that despite the high cost of custom replacements, these replacements will prove cost efficient in the long run as they will reduce the tie required to stay in the hospital.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Posts: 397
prosthetic bone  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2008, 00:40
1
Although custom prosthetic bone replacements produced through a new computer-aided design process will cost more than twice as much as ordinary replacements, custom replacements should still be cost-effective. Not only will surgery and recovery time be reduced, but custom replacements should last longer, thereby reducing the need for further hospital stays.
Which of the following must be studied in order to evaluate the argument presented above?

A. The amount of time a patient spends in surgery versus the amount of time spent recovering from surgery

B. The amount by which the cost of producing custom replacements has declined with the introduction of the new technique for producing them

C. The degree to which the use of custom replacements is likely to reduce the need for repeat surgery when compared with the use of ordinary replacements

D. The degree to which custom replacements produced with the new technique are more carefully manufactured than are ordinary replacements

E. The amount by which custom replacements produced with the new technique will drop in cost as the production procedures become standardized and applicable on a larger scale




Please explain . Do the rest of clubbers use variance method for such questions? What is your approach to such questions ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Apr 2008
Posts: 384
Re: prosthetic bone  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2008, 09:19
4
Nihit wrote:
Although custom prosthetic bone replacements produced through a new computer-aided design process will cost more than twice as much as ordinary replacements, custom replacements should still be cost-effective. Not only will surgery and recovery time be reduced, but custom replacements should last longer, thereby reducing the need for further hospital stays.
Which of the following must be studied in order to evaluate the argument presented above?

A. The amount of time a patient spends in surgery versus the amount of time spent recovering from surgery

B. The amount by which the cost of producing custom replacements has declined with the introduction of the new technique for producing them

C. The degree to which the use of custom replacements is likely to reduce the need for repeat surgery when compared with the use of ordinary replacements

D. The degree to which custom replacements produced with the new technique are more carefully manufactured than are ordinary replacements

E. The amount by which custom replacements produced with the new technique will drop in cost as the production procedures become standardized and applicable on a larger scale




Please explain . Do the rest of clubbers use variance method for such questions? What is your approach to such questions ?


IMO C)

The custom replacement is twice costly and it will last longer. However if it last only 20% longer than patient will have to pay more cost.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 29 Mar 2008
Posts: 333
Re: prosthetic bone  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2008, 16:14
Nihit wrote:
Although custom prosthetic bone replacements produced through a new computer-aided design process will cost more than twice as much as ordinary replacements, custom replacements should still be cost-effective. Not only will surgery and recovery time be reduced, but custom replacements should last longer, thereby reducing the need for further hospital stays.
Which of the following must be studied in order to evaluate the argument presented above?

A. The amount of time a patient spends in surgery versus the amount of time spent recovering from surgery

B. The amount by which the cost of producing custom replacements has declined with the introduction of the new technique for producing them

C. The degree to which the use of custom replacements is likely to reduce the need for repeat surgery when compared with the use of ordinary replacements

D. The degree to which custom replacements produced with the new technique are more carefully manufactured than are ordinary replacements

E. The amount by which custom replacements produced with the new technique will drop in cost as the production procedures become standardized and applicable on a larger scale

Please explain . Do the rest of clubbers use variance method for such questions? What is your approach to such questions ?



IMO C
"custom replacements should still be cost-effective"
we need to know if the custom replacements is likely to reduce the need for repeat surgery, if not, it is not cost effective....
_________________

To find what you seek in the road of life, the best proverb of all is that which says:
"Leave no stone unturned."
-Edward Bulwer Lytton

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 09 Jul 2007
Posts: 218
Re: prosthetic bone  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2008, 16:31
IMO C.

If number of repeat surgery is increased , then it will be become costlier
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Oct 2010
Posts: 194
Location: India
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V31
GPA: 3
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: prosthetic bone  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2011, 10:20
But doesn't the whole argument rest on the premise that these prosthetic bones are made very accurately? Therefore, if the bones were only half as accurate as they are claimed to be, the entire argument would stand null, right?
_________________

petrifiedbutstanding

VP
VP
User avatar
Status: mission completed!
Joined: 02 Jul 2009
Posts: 1297
GPA: 3.77
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: prosthetic bone  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2011, 11:13
Thanks for contacting me.

1) State the source. It is not a GMAT-like question.
2) The quality is poor. You have to assume smth to be correct in order to arrive to correct answer. Dont practice poor questions.

to the question itself.

conclusion: custom replacements should still be cost-effective , You must identify conclusion first.
what is asked? we need to strengthen the argument.
how would you do it without reading the answers? look, you need to support the statement that custom replacements should still be cost-effective. So we are basically reduced to cost comparisons (for customers), not time or volume etc. So let A and D out.

B and E are talking about production costs, which are not customers' costs. They are out as well.

We remained with C. Why C is bad? Because you must assume that:
2*"ordinary replacements"(=custom prosthetic bone replacements) minus ordinary replacements < cash for for repeat surgery . This may not be true,since nobody told you that it is lower.
This is why C is bad: it tells you that "The degree to which the use of custom replacements is likely to reduce" without specifyin cost for surgery and degree of reduction for it.
_________________

Audaces fortuna juvat!

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Oct 2010
Posts: 194
Location: India
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V31
GPA: 3
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: prosthetic bone  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2011, 11:57
Pkit wrote:
Thanks for contacting me.

1) State the source. It is not a GMAT-like question.
2) The quality is poor. You have to assume smth to be correct in order to arrive to correct answer. Dont practice poor questions.



As a matter of fact, I found this baby in OG 12. Problem no. 108
_________________

petrifiedbutstanding

VP
VP
User avatar
Status: mission completed!
Joined: 02 Jul 2009
Posts: 1297
GPA: 3.77
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: prosthetic bone  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2011, 12:07
So I am not expert anymore in determining the quality of CR questions :lol: .
Yes. I did it!
If you have explanations in og12, why are you asking for?
_________________

Audaces fortuna juvat!

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Oct 2010
Posts: 194
Location: India
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V31
GPA: 3
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: prosthetic bone  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2011, 12:29
petrifiedbutstanding wrote:
But doesn't the whole argument rest on the premise that these prosthetic bones are made very accurately? Therefore, if the bones were only half as accurate as they are claimed to be, the entire argument would stand null, right?


Nah.. You're probably right about the question anyway! And the OG didn't mention anything that wasn't mentioned in this forum. I'm having a problem making sense of that with the explanation.

If you look at my post quoted here, it was why I didn't agree. Can you tell me if my argument stands?
_________________

petrifiedbutstanding

VP
VP
User avatar
Status: mission completed!
Joined: 02 Jul 2009
Posts: 1297
GPA: 3.77
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: prosthetic bone  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2011, 13:04
petrifiedbutstanding wrote:
petrifiedbutstanding wrote:
But doesn't the whole argument rest on the premise that these prosthetic bones are made very accurately? Therefore, if the bones were only half as accurate as they are claimed to be, the entire argument would stand null, right?


Nah.. You're probably right about the question anyway! And the OG didn't mention anything that wasn't mentioned in this forum. I'm having a problem making sense of that with the explanation.

If you look at my post quoted here, it was why I didn't agree. Can you tell me if my argument stands?


I think you and I are right.
But OG questions are right, no matter what. And no need to discuss/debate them, period.
_________________

Audaces fortuna juvat!

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Oct 2010
Posts: 194
Location: India
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V31
GPA: 3
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: prosthetic bone  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2011, 13:12
Alrighty! Thanks for your help.
_________________

petrifiedbutstanding

Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Retaking next month
Affiliations: None
Joined: 05 Mar 2011
Posts: 153
Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 570 Q42 V27
GPA: 3.01
WE: Sales (Manufacturing)
Re: prosthetic bone  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2011, 21:19
+1 for C. Focus in on reduced time. So anything related to production technique is out.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 Jul 2011
Posts: 8
Re: prosthetic bone  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2011, 01:37
The answer should be "C".

If the use of custom replacements needs repeated surgery to high degree, then it would not be a cost effective.
However, if it needs less repeated surgery, it can be cost effective.
So, I will go with C
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Sep 2011
Posts: 144
Re: prosthetic bone  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2012, 14:16
Conclusion: Custom replacements should still be cost-effective.

A. This only compares the additional benefits that you get from a custom prosthetic bone replacement. However, we are trying to compare the cost of switching to a custom bone replacement to its benefits (ie. reduced surgery and recovery time etc.). Therefore, this answer cannot be correct.

B. We are not concerned with how much the cost of the custom replacement has declined because this should already be taken into account in the argument.

C. This is the correct answer. The reason is because the answer to this statement will tell you how often you will need repeat surgeries and this will reduce the benefit you get from switching to the prosthetic bone replacement. Also, you can try using the Variance Test and you should arrive to the same conclusion.

D. We are not concerned with the manufacturing

E. This states something that will occur in the future, but we are concerned with how the custom replacement will affect us now.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: prosthetic bone &nbs [#permalink] 27 Feb 2012, 14:16

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 33 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Although custom prosthetic bone replacements produced

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.