Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:38 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 210 [209]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 432 [63]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 356 [28]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63656 [9]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Although fruit can no longer grow once it is picked, it continues for [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Sachinpri wrote:
I have 2 doubts-
1)"similar to the way human beings.." modifies "taking in oxygen..." OR "it continues for some time..."?Kindly explain
2)While solving my thought process was that "similar to.." modifies "taking in oxygen...";I eliminated A and B because taking in oxygen and giving off Carbon DIoxide is exactly the same as human beings do,not similar.
I eliminated C because taking in Oxygen and giving off.. is not "just like the breathing of human beings"
I eliminated D because it was missing the verb.
Was my POE correct?
Thanks

A), (B), (C), and (D) all have modifier issues, but I'd describe those issues a little differently than you did.

Quote:
(A) Although fruit can no longer grow once it is picked, it continues for some time to respire, taking in oxygen and giving off carbon dioxide, similar to the way human beings breathe.

"Similar" is an adjective, so it should compare two nouns or noun phrases. Here, it sounds like "carbon dioxide" is similar to "the way humans breathe." That makes no sense - the way someone breathes can't be similar to a gas. (A) is out.

Quote:
(B) Although fruit can no longer grow once it is picked, it continues for some time to respire, taking in oxygen and giving off carbon dioxide, similarly to human beings who are breathing.

The phrase "similarly to human beings" is a mess. "Similarly" is an adverb, and so seems to describe the actions "taking... and giving." But how can "taking and giving" be compared to the noun, "human beings?" That's totally incoherent. Eliminate (B).

Quote:
(C) Although fruit can no longer grow once it is picked, it continues for some time to respire, taking in oxygen and giving off carbon dioxide, similar to the way human beings breathe.

Exact same problem we saw in (A). Get rid of (C).

Quote:
(D) Although fruit can no longer grow once it is picked, it continues for some time to respire, taking in oxygen and giving off carbon dioxide, as human beings when breathing.

The issue here is meaning. It kind of sounds like fruit is giving off carbon dioxide in the role of a human being! Fruit could certainly be eaten as a snack, but it can't do anything as a human being. Eliminate (D).

And that leaves us with (E), which is our winner.

I hope that clears things up!
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 242 [2]
Given Kudos: 15
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Re: Although fruit can no longer grow once it is picked, it continues for [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Maulikgmat wrote:
81. Although fruit can no longer grow once it is picked, it continues for some time to respire, taking in oxygen and giving off carbon dioxide, similar to the way human beings breathe
(A) similar to the way human beings breathe distorts meaning and implies "fruits breathe"
(B) similarly to human beings who are breathing "similarly to" is wrong
(C) just like the breathing of human beings again distorts the meaning as if respiration in fruits is like breathing of humans
(D) as human beings when breathing fruits respire "as" humans beings???
(E) just as human beings do when they breathe correctly implies that fruits respire, just like human beings to when they breathe
Can anyone resolve the tiff between C,D & E I am stumped....

Respiration in fruits is an activity that occurs in humans when they breathe. That doesn't mean fruits breathe. E conveys this best
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 944 [5]
Given Kudos: 48
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
81. Although fruit can no longer grow once it is picked, it continues for some time to respire, taking in oxygen and giving off carbon dioxide, similar to the way human beings breathe
(A) similar to the way human beings breathe
Not correct.... similar isn't correct here..

(B) similarly to human beings who are breathing
As if humans we have humans who aren't breathing as of now :lol: Incorrect

(C) just like the breathing of human beings
breathing of human beings is not correct. breathing is not matching with continues

(D) as human beings when breathing
Not correct..... run off sentence / clause....

(E) just as human beings do when they breathe
Perfect match!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [3]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos

this implies that fruits and human beings breathe in a similar fashion

similarly is awkward

same reasoning as the first one

(D) as human beings when breathing fruits respire

as is awkward

(E) just as human beings do when they breathe correctly implies that fruits respire, just like human beings to when they breathe

correct option
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 104 [3]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
stripping the sentence:
fruit(noun) + continues ( verb)...(comparison) ... noun+ verb
to maintain parallelism, we require an answer that has noun followed by a verb

only E has the proper form.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
WE 1: Deloitte 3 yrs
WE 2: Prok going on
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
cocopopz wrote:
Although fruit can no longer grow once it is picked, it continues for some time to respire, taking in oxygen and giving off carbon dioxide, similar to the way human beings breathe.

(D) as human beings when breathing
(E) just as human beings do when they breathe

Fruit continues to respire,....., similar to the way human being breathe

Similarly OR in similar way....I found this construction wrong.

Fruit continues to respire.....in a similar way Human also breathe.

Among the choices A is not right.
B is wordy and also wrong.
similarly to human beings who are breathing (breathing represents continuous action...an action which is still going on)
C is wrong as it compares
Fruit continues to respire with breathing of human beings
D is also wrong for same reason.

E is proper construction.

Although fruit can no longer grow once it is picked, it continues for some time to respire, taking in oxygen and giving off carbon dioxide, just as human beings do when they breathe
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 788 [7]
Given Kudos: 70
Kudos
Bookmarks
Among all the options, it is easy to eliminate B, C, and D. Contenders remain A and E.

Analysis for option A:
"Similar" can modify only nouns as it is an adjective. Adjectives refer to immediately preceding noun when placed after an comma. In this case, "carbon dioxide" is illogically compared to "the way human beings breathe".
It makes sense to compare between "respire" and "breathe" here to have correct meaning of the sentence; but, "respire" is not noun and so "similar" cannot refer to "respire".

Analysis for option E:
"Just as" is used to compare two clauses correctly.

Hence, correct answer is E.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2588 [2]
Given Kudos: 567
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos