GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Oct 2019, 08:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Although the British were responsible for the early European settlemen

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
Although the British were responsible for the early European settlemen  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 12 Apr 2019, 00:11
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

49% (01:50) correct 51% (01:40) wrong based on 303 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Although the British were responsible for the early European settlement of both Australia and the United States, Australia is having much closer political and cultural links with Britain than the United States is having.

A. of both Australia and the United States, Australia is having much closer political and cultural links with Britain than the United States is having

B. in both Australia and the United States, they are closer in their political and cultural links in Australia than in the United States

C. of both nations, Australia has much closer political and cultural links to Britain than the United States has

D. in both nations, Australia is politically and culturally linked to Britain in a much closer fashion than the United States

E. of both Australia and the United States, they have much closer political and cultural links to it than the United States has

Originally posted by bschool83 on 11 Aug 2011, 16:46.
Last edited by Bunuel on 12 Apr 2019, 00:11, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CFA Institute (CFA Candiate), Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants (CA Candiate), Chartered Alternative Investments Analysts Association (CAIA Candidate)
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Research (Investment Banking)
Re: Although the British were responsible for the early European settlemen  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2011, 17:15
I believe it's (C). That said, (C) isn't exactly elegant.

(A) "is having" implies a temporal state... whereby Australia is currently experiencing better relations (in which case, the verb "to have" would be incorrect), but will soon stop. It's an awkward phrasing that wouldn't be found in spoken/written English.
(B), (E) "they" is meant to refer to the British, however its placement suggests its referring to "Australia and the United States", changing the meaning of the sentence
(D) "in both nations" is incorrect because it implies that there was a "European settlement" (noun) in Australia and the United States instead of settlement (verb). It's also missing "is" from the end of the sentence.
V
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Although the British were responsible for the early European settlemen  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2011, 20:35
of both Australia and the United States, Australia is having much closer political and cultural links with Britain than the United States is having;--- ‘links with’ seems to be the right idiom. Must be the correct choice.

In both Australia and the United States, they are closer in their political and cultural links in Australia than in the United States – Obviously they refers to the distant ‘The British’; but ‘links in’ seems to be a wrong idiom

of both nations, Australia has much closer political and cultural links to Britain than the United States has – ‘links to’ Britain is awkward; further we have to stretch out to get that both nations refers to Australia and the United States.

in both nations, Australia is politically and culturally linked to Britain in a much closer fashion than the United States – linked to is wrong idiom; further when you say ‘linked to Britain’, you have to say than to the US

of both Australia and the United States, they have much closer political and cultural links to it than the United States has – terrible; wht do ‘they’ and ‘it’ refer to?
I will go with A

Affiliations: CFA Institute (CFA Candiate), Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants (CA Candiate), Chartered Alternative Investments Analysts Association (CAIA Candidate)
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Research (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2011, 20:37
I still feel it's (C). "Were responsible for the early European settlement in both Australia and the United States" to me sounds like the British were responsible for a single "early European settlement" (using settlement as a noun) rather than "to settle".

So what's the OA?

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2011, 07:46
Idiomatically settlement "of" is correct. Therefore eliminate B and D.

A. 'is having' incorrect
E. convoluted pronouns and antecedent

C is correct, because both nations has clear antecedents Australia and the United States, and parallel verb structure 'has'
Director
Director
Schools: University of Chicago, Wharton School

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2011, 19:05
bschool83 wrote:
Although the British were responsible for the early European settlement of both Australia and the United States, Australia is having much closer political and cultural links with Britain than the United States is having.

a) of both Australia and the United States, Australia is having much closer political and cultural links with Britain than the United States is having
b) in both Australia and the United States, they are closer in their political and cultural links in Australia than in the United States
c) of both nations, Australia has much closer political and cultural links to Britain than the United States has
d) in both nations, Australia is politically and culturally linked to Britain in a much closer fashion than the United States
e) of both Australia and the United States, they have much closer political and cultural links to it than the United States has

a) Australia is having ............ is wrong.

b) What is "they" refers to? Unclear and ambiguous

c) "of both nations" refer to Australia and United States
"Australia has" ll "United States has" - correct llism

d) "fashion" is incorrect and also wrong comparison

e) completely wrong and illogical comparision
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Jones '21 (M$)

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2019, 10:48
Two things I'm confused about between C and D:
1. What is the difference between "settlement OF both nations" and "settlement IN both nations"? Should this affect our decision when choosing between C and D?
2. In C, what is the difference between "...Australia has much closer political and cultural links to Britain than the United States HAS" vs "...Australia has much closer political and cultural links to Britain than the United States DOES"? When is it ok to use does and when is it ok to use has? (Please see example below)

Example:
I have much closer ties to my mom than my sister DOES.
and
I have had much closer ties to my mom than my sister HAS.

Any help is appreciated!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Although the British were responsible for the early European settlemen   [#permalink] 22 May 2019, 10:48

Although the British were responsible for the early European settlemen

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics