GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 10 Dec 2018, 16:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free lesson on number properties

December 10, 2018

December 10, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

December 11, 2018

December 11, 2018

09:00 PM EST

10:00 PM EST

Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics. December 11 at 9 PM EST.

Although the coordination of monetary policy can help facilitate the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Although the coordination of monetary policy can help facilitate the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 06 Nov 2018, 03:53
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

61% (01:07) correct 39% (01:07) wrong based on 435 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Although the coordination of monetary policy can help facilitate the orderly financing of existing imbalances, it is unlikely that its effect on their size is significant in the absence of an appropriate fiscal adjustment.

(A) it is unlikely that its effect on their size is significant

(B) it is unlikely that the size of their effect would be significant

(C) affecting their sizes are not likely to be significant

(D) the significance of their effect on its size is unlikely

(E) its effect on their size is not likely to be significant

The OA is E,but why cant the ans be A.plz explain

Originally posted by shrutisingh on 20 Jul 2009, 01:24.
Last edited by Bunuel on 06 Nov 2018, 03:53, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Re: Although the coordination of monetary policy can help facilitate the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2010, 19:18
Hey All,

Everybody's pretty much talked this one to death, but I got asked by PM to take on one particular issue, so I'll just run through all the answer choices, while I'm here.

Although the coordination of monetary policy can help facilitate the orderly financing of existing imbalances, it is unlikely that its effect on their size is significant in the absence of an appropriate fiscal adjustment.

PROBLEM: The use of "it" here twice to mean two different things is grammatically unfeasible. The first "it" has no referent (That's the "it" we use to start out clauses, such as "It's crazy how much fire there is in here."), and the second refers to "the coordination..."

PROBLEM: We want to imply the effect on the size of imbalances, not the size of the effect.

PROBLEM: The subject of "are" here is...what? Maybe "affecting"...doesn't make any sense.

PROBLEM: We don't mean the significance is unlikely, but that it's unlikely to be significant.

ANSWER: Isn't it pretty? Like in ALL the answer choices, the "its" refers to "the coordination...".

Hope that helps!

-t

Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

General Discussion
Director
Director
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Re: Although the coordination of monetary policy can help facilitate the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2009, 03:04
shrutisingh wrote:
97. Although the coordination of monetary policy can help facilitate the orderly financing of existing imbalances, it is unlikely that its effect on their size is significant in the absence of an appropriate fiscal adjustment.

The OA is E,but why cant the ans be A.plz explain

A has amiguity, it and its.

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

VP
VP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2010, 06:20
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

Everybody's pretty much talked this one to death, but I got asked by PM to take on one particular issue, so I'll just run through all the answer choices, while I'm here.

97. Although the coordination of monetary policy can help facilitate the orderly financing of existing imbalances, it is unlikely that its effect on their size is significant in the absence of an appropriate fiscal adjustment.
PROBLEM: The use of "it" here twice to mean two different things is grammatically unfeasible. The first "it" has no referent (That's the "it" we use to start out clauses, such as "It's crazy how much fire there is in here."), and the second refers to "the coordination..."

PROBLEM: We want to imply the effect on the size of imbalances, not the size of the effect.

PROBLEM: The subject of "are" here is...what? Maybe "affecting"...doesn't make any sense.

PROBLEM: We don't mean the significance is unlikely, but that it's unlikely to be significant.

ANSWER: Isn't it pretty? Like in ALL the answer choices, the "its" refers to "the coordination...".

Hope that helps!

-t

And what about the idiom?
According to Manhattan SC, the idiom is either "likely to" or "likely that X will". Taking this into account, you can choose E quickly.
Thanks.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2010, 10:11
Hey Noboru,

It helps a bit, but it doesn't get you right down to E. As far as I can see, C would work, too. Still, getting rid of three answer choices is pretty good.

-t

VP
VP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2010, 16:09
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

Hope that helps!

-t

In this other post: sc-gmatprep-1-federal-reserve-76040-20.html#p757216
I have thrown a question regarding the usage of "it" that you explain above.
Many thanks for your comments.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2010, 10:18
Hey Noburu,

I'll post the same response in both places, just in case. However, I believe that I'm entirely consistent in these two examples. It's okay to start a sentence/clause with it, as in: "It sure is raining a lot today." Yes, that "it" has no antecedent, but we allow this usage. In the example you cite here, the problem in answer choice A is not the first "it", but the second "it", which could be referring to "coordination" or "orderly financing". Though ambiguity is an issue that GMAT sometimes ignores and sometimes doesn't, it's clearly better here to get rid of that extra pronoun. Remember that we ALSO have a "their", which makes for three pronouns in 8 words (in answer choice A).

Hope that's clearer!

-t

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2016, 07:10
tarek99 wrote:

Please explain your answer

sayantanc2k
I m confused between A and E. Both seem correct to me. please help.
Retired Moderator
S
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2016, 08:54
nishant12600 wrote:
tarek99 wrote:

sayantanc2k

(A) is wrong because of the wrong usage of present tense "is" - likely / unlikely depicts a future event, and hence "will be" should be used.

...it is unlikely that its effect on their size is WILL BE significant...
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2016, 09:01
sayantanc2k wrote:
nishant12600 wrote:
tarek99 wrote:

sayantanc2k

(A) is wrong because of the wrong usage of present tense "is" - likely / unlikely depicts a future event, and hence "will be" should be used.

but, Both option A and E use "is" ...... How is E better than A?
Retired Moderator
S
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2016, 07:31
nishant12600 wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
nishant12600 wrote:

sayantanc2k

but, Both option A and E use "is" ...... How is E better than A?

No, option E does not have "is" inside likely. You are talking about the verb "is" that is outside likely and is there in both options. The problematic "is" in option A is replaced with "to be" in option E.

A) it is unlikely that its effect on their size is significant
E) its effect on their size is not likely to be significant

The blue font "is" could be any tense - this verb is not the verb whose likelihood is discussed. The red "is" the problem because the likelihood of this red "is" is discussed and hence must be in future ( or infinitive as in option E).

The two correct forms are:
likely that <future>
likely <infinitive>
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2018, 07:21
Top Contributor

(A) it is unlikely that its effect on their size is significant ---unlikely' a future feature doesn't gel with the present 'is' -- out

(B) it is unlikely that the size of their effect would be significant-- We must pair 'its' with 'effect' and 'their' with 'size'. out

(C) affecting their sizes are not likely to be significant, --- Affecting their sizes and are is an S-V error. out.

(D) the significance of their effect on its size is unlikely-- As in B: We must pair 'its' with 'effect' and 'their' with 'size'. -- out.

(E) its effect on their size is not likely to be significant -- correct

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Although the coordination of monetary policy can help facilitate the &nbs [#permalink] 06 Nov 2018, 07:21

Although the coordination of monetary policy can help facilitate the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap