It is currently 18 Dec 2017, 06:56

Final Week of R1 Decisions:

CHAT Rooms | MIT Sloan | McCombs 

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

It was only after Katharine Graham became publisher of the Washington

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

4 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 1077 [4], given: 1

It was only after Katharine Graham became publisher of the Washington [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2007, 02:13
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

64% (01:02) correct 36% (01:40) wrong based on 574 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

It was only after Katharine Graham became publisher of the Washington Post in 1963 that it moved into the first rank of American newspapers, and it was under her command that the paper won high praises for its unrelenting reporting of the Watergate scandal.

(A) It was only after Katharine Graham became publisher of the Washington Post in 1963 that it moved into the first rank of American newspapers, and it was under her command that the paper won high praises

(B) It was only after Katharine Graham's becoming publisher of The Washington Post in 1963 that it moved into the first rank of American newspapers, and under her command it had won high praises

(C) Katharine Graham became publisher of The Washington Post in 1963, and only after that did it move into the first rank of American newspapers, having won high praise under her command

(D) Moving into the first rank of American newspapers only after Katharine Graham became its publisher in 1963, The Washington Post, winning high praise under her command

(E) Moving into the first rank of American newspapers only after Katharine Graham's becoming its publisher in 1963, The Washinton Postwon high praise under her command
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 1077 [4], given: 1

4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 53 [4], given: 1

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Re: It was only after Katharine Graham became publisher of the Washington [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2008, 21:21
This post received
KUDOS
I try... A for me

a)It was only after Katharine Graham became publisher of The Washington Post in 1963
that it moved into the first rank of American newspaper, and it was under her command
that the paper won high praise

b)It was only after Katharin Graham's becoming publisher of The Wasington Post in 1963
that it moved into the first rank of American newspaper, and under her command it had
won
high praise ->unnecessary change of tense

c)Katharine Graham became publisher of The Washington Post in 1963, and only after that
did it move into the first rank of American newspapers, having won high praise under her command -> having won, modifier problem

d)Moving into the first rank of American newspaper only after Katharine Graham became
its publisher in 1963, The Washington Post, winning high praise under her command
-> missing main verb

e)Moving into the first rank of American newspaper only after Katharine Graham's becoming
its publisher in 1953, The Washington Post won high praise under her command -> tense problem, also change the meaning of the original sentence (emphasize Katharine's importance)

Kudos [?]: 53 [4], given: 1

1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO

Kudos [?]: 678 [1], given: 210

Re: It was only after Katharine Graham became publisher of the Washington [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2008, 04:51
This post received
KUDOS
I was going for A until I saw something subtle in C. "first rank of American newspaper" ? or "first rank of American newspapers". Assuming its not a typo in the other options, I go for C.

aMante wrote:
It was only after Katharine Graham became publisher of The Washington Post in 1963
that it moved into the first rank of American newspaper, and it was under her command
for its unrelenting reporting of the Watergate scandal

a)It was only after Katharine Graham became publisher of The Washington Post in 1963

b)It was only after Katharin Graham's becoming publisher of The Wasington Post in 1963
that it moved into the first rank of American newspaper, and under her commandt it had
won high praise

c)Katharine Graham became publisher of The Washington Post in 1963, and only after that
did it move into the first rank of American newspapers. having won high praise under her command

d)Moving intor the first rank of American newspaper only after Katharine Graham became
its publisher in 1963, The Washington Post, winning high praise under her command

e)Moving into the first rank of American newspaper only after Katharine Graham's becoming
its publisher in 1953, The Washington Post won high praise under her command

I can't come up with anything!!!!!!!!
Plz Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kudos [?]: 678 [1], given: 210

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 190 [1], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2009, 06:01
This post received
KUDOS
A. It was only after Katharine Graham became publisher of The Washington Post in 1963 that it moved into the first rank of American newspapers, and it was under her command that the paper won high praise for its unrelenting reporting of the Watergate scandal.( Found it a bit wordy)
B. It was only after Katharin Graham's becoming publisher of The Wasington Post in 1963 that it moved into the first rank of American newspaper, and under her commandt it had won high praise
C. Katharine Graham became publisher of The Washington Post in 1963, and only after that
did it move into the first rank of American newspapers, having won high praise under her command
D. Moving into the first rank of American newspaper only after Katharine Graham became

E. Moving into the first rank of American newspapers only after Katharine Graham's becoming its publisher in 1963, The Washington Post won high praise under her command.

Will go for D

Kudos [?]: 190 [1], given: 5

12 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 457 [12], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2009, 08:52
This post received
KUDOS
Well guyz the reasons why option A is the best choice are Logical Predication and Parallelism.

Parallelism: It was only after Katharine Graham became publisher of The Washington Post in 1963 that it moved into the first rank of American newspapers, and it was under her command that the paper won high praise for its unrelenting reporting of the Watergate scandal.

Moreover, because of the logical predication the sentence reads correctly without unnecessary usage of words such as 'becoming' and 'moving'

Hope the explanation helps!!

Kudos [?]: 457 [12], given: 3

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 16

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2009, 17:44
abhi758 wrote:
Well guyz the reasons why option A is the best choice are Logical Predication and Parallelism.

Parallelism: It was only after Katharine Graham became publisher of The Washington Post in 1963 that it moved into the first rank of American newspapers, and it was under her command that the paper won high praise for its unrelenting reporting of the Watergate scandal.

Moreover, because of the logical predication the sentence reads correctly without unnecessary usage of words such as 'becoming' and 'moving'

Hope the explanation helps!!

thx your explanation makes sense. +1

Now I record things like 'sb's moving' are wrong in GMATland.

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 16

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 457 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2009, 07:31
Glad to help Talinhuu!! Always watch out for the Parallelism and Comparison in SC, majority of the SCs have it and very well disguise it to confuse the exam takers..

Kudos [?]: 457 [0], given: 3

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 13

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2009, 19:27
My answer was way far off from the right answer, I gussed E. damn! now I know answer is A and the explanation - thanks buddies

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 13

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2009, 21:37
nice...one..

I went with D .. but ur explaining was good.

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 1563 [0], given: 40

WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2010, 09:43
Really tough one.

I marked A because of the part - the paper won high praise for its

Only A matches the noun (the paper) for the pronoun (its).

Want to improve your CR: http://gmatclub.com/forum/cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: http://gmatclub.com/forum/50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: http://gmatclub.com/forum/key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Kudos [?]: 1563 [0], given: 40

Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business

Kudos [?]: 933 [0], given: 36

Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2010, 19:37
A for || ism.

It was x and it was y. Both the clauses should start with "it"

Kudos [?]: 933 [0], given: 36

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 11

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2010, 20:12
+1 for A

A sound better than all other options.

OA??

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 11

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 387 [0], given: 16

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2010, 12:43
bsd_lover wrote:
I was going for A until I saw something subtle in C. "first rank of American newspaper" ? or "first rank of American newspapers". Assuming its not a typo in the other options, I go for C.

i will assume it s a typo and go for A

Kudos [?]: 387 [0], given: 16

10 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 880 [10], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2010, 05:36
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
aMante wrote:
It was only after Katharine Graham became publisher of The Washington Post in 1963
for its unrelenting reporting of the Watergate scandal

that it moved into the first rank of American newspaper, and under her commandt it had
won high praise

did it move into the first rank of American newspapers, having won high praise under her command

d)Moving intor the first rank of American newspaper only after Katharine Graham became

its publisher in 1953, The Washington Post won high praise under her command

I can't come up with anything!!!!!!!!
Plz Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's break this down so that it will be easier and faster...

A)It was only after Katharine Graham became publisher of The Washington Post in 1963 that it moved into the first rank of American newspaper, and it was under her command

General structure: Independent clause [,and] Independent clause

Both clauses here are in a form that is used to create emphasis: "it... is/was..... that+subject+verb"
Ex. It is the red dress that I want. (Emphatic structure for, "I want the red dress")

So we have here, "It was only after Graham became..." ,and "it was under.... that the paper won."

Notice that the time modifier for "became" is "in 1963," a specific time indicating the past simple (V2) "became".

So the tenses and sentence structure are good here!

B)It was only after Katharin Graham's becoming publisher of The Wasington Post in 1963 that it moved into the first rank of American newspaper, and under her command it had won high praise

The only problem here is the "had won"-- the past perfect (had+V3). There is no indication that the winning had taken place in the past relative to some other point in the past. The entire sentence should be in the past simple.

C)Katharine Graham became publisher of The Washington Post in 1963, and only after that did it move into the first rank of American newspapers, having won high praise under her command

We can stop reading as soon as we get to "and only after that..." "That" is a relative pronoun that is trying to refer to some thing. But there is nothing, no written noun, to which the word "that" refers, and it cannot refer to the entire preceding clause. All pronouns must refer to a written noun that appears in the sentence.

D)Moving intor the first rank of American newspaper only after Katharine Graham became its publisher in 1963, The Washington Post, winning high praise under her command

Up until the first comma ("Moving into....1963,") is descriptive information. The "moving" is a present participle, an -ing word that is descriptive. After the subject, The Washington Post, there is another modifier starting with the present participle "winning". This second modifier (i.e. descriptive phrase) continues all the way to the end of the sentence, and we are never given a verb for the subject "The Washington Post!"

E)Moving into the first rank of American newspaper only after Katharine Graham's becoming its publisher in 1953, The Washington Post won high praise under her command

On a grammatically technical level, there is no error here. BUT INTENDED MEANING MATTERS! It is critical to try to understand the meaning that was intended by the original, and the original wanted to emphasize Graham's accomplishments, and hence the emphatic structure explained in A.

Sarai
GMAT Verbal Instructor at http://www.linkedin.com/company/ofek-gmat/online-gmat-tutoring-22305743/product?trk=biz_product
Email me at saraiyaseen@gmail.com

If this helped, kindly give Kudos! :wink:

Kudos [?]: 880 [10], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 18

Schools: Admitted: IESE($$),HEC, RSM,Esade
WE 1: 3.5 years international

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2010, 05:38
talk2pk wrote:
Indeed a tough one....but with no error IMO!!!!
i lgo with A...

actually it's pretty easy. Answer is ofcorse A. What makes it a very easy and obvious choice, other than grammatical errors, is the fact that none of the other answer choices contain the last part of the second clause-"the paper won praise for it's unrelenting reporting of the watergate scandal".
How can that part be simply omitted? It cannot yield to the principle of concision as it distorts the meaning of the sentence. Won praise for what?
I agree A is wordy but all other choices are not only grammatically wrong but also omit a necessary part of the second clause of the sentence.

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 18

9 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 8370 [9], given: 366

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2010, 07:25
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Choice A starts with it was and follows up the same with a parallel it was in the second part. It also uses the simple past became to denote an event that occurred in the past. Though wordy, A seems to be without any error. This must be the right choice.

B It should be newspapers and not newspaper- may be a typo, let’s us ignore it. Becoming publisher is sought to be used as a gerund here. But the serious error is in the use of past perfect tense it had won. The context entails a simple past tense i.e. won.

C 1. The adjectival modifier having won high praise does not seem to have a noun to modify. Does it modify Katherine or Katherine’s publishership or The Washington Post?

2. does the pronoun that stand for Katharine Graham became publisher of The Washington Post. Because that is a pronoun and should refer to a noun rather than a clause.

3. Did it win high praise first for reporting Watergate episode that happened in 1974 and then move into the first rank of American newspapers in 1963 after Katherine became the publisher? Isn’t it incongruous?

D is a fragment without a completed verb. Let’s drop it.

E Katharine Graham's becoming is a very inelegant way of writing Katherine Graham became; so not acceptable

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8370 [9], given: 366

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 59 [3], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2010, 07:40
This post received
KUDOS
IMO A by POE

(A) It was only after Katharine Graham became publisher of The Washington Post in 1963 that it moved into the first rank of American newspapers, and it was under her command that the paper won high praise for its unrelenting reporting of the Watergate scandal. - No issues , looks good
(B) It was only after Katharin Graham's becoming publisher of The Wasington Post in 1963 that it moved into the first rank of American newspaper, and under her commandt it had won high praise
(C) Katharine Graham became publisher of The Washington Post in 1963, and only after that
(D) Moving into the first rank of American newspaper only after Katharine Graham became
its publisher in 1963, The Washington Post, winning high praise under her command - Missing the information of Watergate Scandal and moreover the sentence is awkward
(E) Moving into the first rank of American newspapers only after Katharine Graham's becoming its publisher in 1963, The Washington Post won high praise under her command. Same issue as D

Please consider giving KUDOS if you like my post

Kudos [?]: 59 [3], given: 12

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 100 [1], given: 18

Schools: Admitted: IESE($$),HEC, RSM,Esade
WE 1: 3.5 years international

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2010, 08:08
This post received
KUDOS
TehJay wrote:
I'm guessing that "for its unrelenting reporting of the Watergate scandal" is NOT supposed to be underlined in the problem.

gurpreet07 wrote:
It was only after Katharine Graham became publisher of The Washington Post in 1963 that it moved into the first rank of American newspapers, and it was under her command that the paper won high praise for its unrelenting reporting of the Watergate scandal.

(A) It was only after Katharine Graham became publisher of The Washington Post in 1963 that it moved into the first rank of American newspapers, and it was under her command that the paper won high praise for its unrelenting reporting of the Watergate scandal. Perfect
(B) It was only after Katharine Graham's becoming publisher of The Wasington Post in 1963 that it moved into the first rank of American newspaper, and under her command it had won high praise "only after Katharin Graham's becoming publisher" is ungrammatical, and the past perfect "had won high praise" is incorrect here
(C) Katharine Graham became publisher of The Washington Post in 1963, and only after that did it move into the first rank of American newspapers, having won high praise under her command Very awkward. "Only after that did it move" - "it" needs to refer to the subject, which is Katharine Graham here, but it actually refers to The Washington Post. "Having won high praise" doesn't work logically
(D) Moving into the first rank of American newspaper only after Katharine Graham became its publisher in 1963, The Washington Post, winning high praise under her command Sentence fragment
(E) Moving into the first rank of American newspapers only after Katharine Graham's becoming its publisher in 1963, The Washington Post won high praise under her command. Again, "Katharine Graham's becoming" is ungrammatical. The introduction clause at the beginning of the sentence is extremely long, making the sentence somewhat clunky.

Thats what I also thought initially, but when you look at answer choice A, it contains the whole sentence. If the whole sentence is underlined then this question becomes pretty easy, otherwise one can use the principle of parallelism to establish it as a correct answer

Kudos [?]: 100 [1], given: 18

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: IIT Madras

Kudos [?]: 549 [0], given: 104

WE 1: 2+ years - Programming
WE 2: 3+ years - Product developement,
WE 3: 2+ years - Program management

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2010, 22:48
Chose A.

Not sure if anyone noticed but B and D use "NEWSPAPER" and the others use NEWSPAPERS. Its obviously the plural. We can use that to eliminate a few.

Choices C and E - C suggests that it is the high praise that got the paper to No.1 rank. But the watergate scandal just got it praise. So explicitly implying that it is because of the reporting that it got the first rank is changing the meaning.
E- E is actually better than C but "Graham's becoming" is awkward.

Kudos [?]: 549 [0], given: 104

Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 149

WE 1: 4 years Tech

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2010, 23:40
gurpreet07 wrote:
guyzz plz explain ur answer choices.........

(A) It was only after Katharine Graham became publisher of The Washington Post in 1963 that it moved into the first rank of American newspapers, and it was under her command that the paper won high praise for its unrelenting reporting of the Watergate scandal.
(B) It was only after Katharin Graham's becoming publisher of The Wasington Post in 1963 that it moved into the first rank of American newspaper, and under her commandt it had won high praise
possessive poison rule for pronouns.Reject.
(C) Katharine Graham became publisher of The Washington Post in 1963, and only after that
Cant use that in lieu of noun.
(D) Moving into the first rank of American newspaper only after Katharine Graham became
no verb in sentence
(E) Moving into the first rank of American newspapers only after Katharine Graham's becoming its publisher in 1963, The Washington Post won high praise under her command.
possessive poison rule.

My Post Invites Discussions not answers
Try to give back something to the Forum.I want your explanations, right now !
Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 149

Re: It was only after Katharine Graham became publisher of the Washington   [#permalink] 07 Oct 2010, 23:40

Go to page    1   2   3    Next  [ 55 posts ] 

It was only after Katharine Graham became publisher of the Washington

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap