It is currently 20 Apr 2018, 05:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Although the school would receive financial benefits if it had soft dr

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
User avatar
G
Joined: 27 Mar 2010
Posts: 871
Location: Bangalore, India
Re: Although the school would receive financial benefits if it had soft dr [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2017, 04:38
startjumprun wrote:
Experts please help...even I thought that the correct ans is D...

The entire argument is based upon school's viewpoint about "discouraging" students from drinking "more" soft drinks. In other words, we need to look for an option that shows that there is a link between installing vending machines and consumption of soft drink.

Let us now look at both sides of D:

i) say vending machines are not installed. In that case, (as per D) students will simply bring soft drinks from home: So clearly, not installing vending machines has no effect.

ii) say vending machines are installed. In that case anyway, the students will use vending machines to buy soft drinks in school. Again, installing vending machines is not making them drink "more" soft drinks.

The point is that as per D, installing vending machines is just shifting the behavior from bringing soft drinks from home TO buying soft drinks in school. But this is not effecting the consumption of soft drinks.
_________________

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 11 Jun 2017
Posts: 33
Re: Although the school would receive financial benefits if it had soft dr [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2017, 14:33
Although I choose D over A, I now understand the why. Please correct me if I were wrong.

(D) Students will not simply bring soft drinks from home if the soft drink vending machines are not placed in the cafeteria.

INCORRECT. Because bringing soft drinks from home does not explain whether putting a vending machine increase student's drink consumption.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 12 Dec 2016
Posts: 89
Re: Although the school would receive financial benefits if it had soft dr [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2017, 11:20
Although the school would receive financial benefits if it had soft drink vending machines in the cafeteria, we should not allow them. Allowing soft drink machines there would not be in our students' interest. If our students start drinking more soft drinks, they will be less healthy.

The argument depends on which of the following?

(A) If the soft drink vending machines were placed in the cafeteria, students would consume more soft drinks as a result.Like this one. Let's keep it. Negate this answer and see if the argument still holds; if the soft drink vending machines were placed in the cafeteria, students would not consume more soft drinks as a result. Argument falls apart. Correct choice
(B) The amount of soft drinks that most students at the school currently drink is not detrimental to their health.Irrelevant. The argument is about students drinking more soft drinks if the vending machines are placed in the cafeteria
(C) Students are apt to be healthier if they do not drink soft drinks at all than if they just drink small amounts occasionally.Irrelevant comparison
(D) Students will not simply bring soft drinks from home if the soft drink vending machines are not placed in the cafeteria.Tricky, but the argument is about the placement of vending machines in the cafeteria inducing students to consume more. Irrelevant
(E) The school's primary concern should be to promote good health among its students. what if good health among students isn't the primary concern? Would that undermine the argument? No. In fact the Primary concern of any school is education

Kudos if you like answer :-)
_________________

Give me kudos and see what happens to your GMAT score :-)

SVP
SVP
avatar
P
Joined: 12 Dec 2016
Posts: 1924
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Although the school would receive financial benefits if it had soft dr [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2017, 15:29
all five option choices are common patterns in gmat. Among them, A and D are remarkable. I notice that if A is a trap, D will be the answer, and vice versa.

The conclusion here is about the health of the student and the vending machines, not about how to prevent students from having soft drinks. Also, A helps to fill the gap between the main premise and the conclusion.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Oct 2016
Posts: 22
Re: Although the school would receive financial benefits if it had soft dr [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2018, 00:05
Hi,

I completely disagree with your reasoning to eliminate D. it is necessary assumption that people don’t have other way around to consume. We need to prove that students don’t spoil their health. In fact, the argument is poorly written, not anywhere they didn’t mention that people should eat or drink items those are from cafeteria. The only reasoning your argument holds is because of the word MORE.

thanks


EMPOWERgmatMax wrote:
rachitshah wrote:
EMPOWERgmatMax wrote:
Although the school would receive financial benefits if it had soft drink vending machines in the cafeteria, we should not allow them. Allowing soft drink machines there would not be in our students' interest. If our students start drinking more soft drinks, they will be less healthy.

The argument depends on which of the following?

Type: Assumption


Boil It Down: More soft drinks, less healthy -> Vending mach. Shouldn’t be allowed
Missing Information: These vending machines would lead to net overall worsening of health
Goal: Find the option the argument requires for the logic to hold


Even if students bring soda from home, the argument still holds because the convenience of the vending machines at school could still cause some students to consume more soda than they would have otherwise.


Not convinced with your explanation as to why D is wrong. D should be defending the conclusion that Students wont bring soda from home and still be unhealthy right?

Hi rachitshah,

I'd be happy to elaborate for you. There's a critical piece of the assignment that must be understood before we look further at D.

Bigger GMAT Picture:
You mentioned D appears to be defending the Conclusion. We don't measure the utility of an assumption by whether it helps support an argument. Assumptions are gauged as to whether they are REQUIRED for the logic to hold. If an argument survives just fine without a piece of information, then that information is NOT assumed. On the other hand, if an argument collapses if the opposite of a possible assumption is taken, then that piece of information IS required. That's what an assumption is.

To put it another way for good measure: an assumption is a piece of information that without, the argument dies.

With that in mind, take a look at D and ask yourself "can the argument survive without it?"

Ⓓ Students will not simply bring soft drinks from home if the soft drink vending machines are not placed in the cafeteria.

You'll find that the answer is: yes, and therefore, the option is not required (not assumed).

Going into greater detail, let's say that students DO bring soda from home. The argument survives just fine because even if students bring soda from home, the vending machines at school could still cause some students to consume more soda than they would have otherwise, and still adversely impact student health.


Posted from my mobile device
SVP
SVP
avatar
P
Joined: 12 Dec 2016
Posts: 1924
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Although the school would receive financial benefits if it had soft dr [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2018, 00:43
gvrk_77
the key word here is "more soft drink" -> D is too extreme.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 11 Sep 2017
Posts: 20
CAT Tests
Re: Although the school would receive financial benefits if it had soft dr [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 12 Feb 2018, 00:22
megha_2709 wrote:
Hi,

Thank you for posting such a good question . Although I don't disagree with option A as correct answer choice ,cant seem to understand why B is incorrect as it says (B) The amount of soft drinks that most students at the school currently drink is not detrimental to their health. So the current amount is not detrimental to student's health , if they machines would be installed , the intake would increase , hence it will affect students health.

Would really appreciate if someone could explain why this is incorrect as I think author is assuming that students are currently not drinking the amount of soft drink which is unhealthy to them. Please advise.

Regards
Megha


Hi Megha,

I'll share my thinking as to why B is incorrect. Even if we assume that the current level of soft drink consumption is not bad for the health of most students, how can we be sure that after installing the vending machines, most of the students will consume soft drinks?

If you look at A, this answer choice explicitly states that students will consume more soft drinks because of the installation.

I hope that this helps.

Regards,

Aiena.

Originally posted by Aiena on 05 Jan 2018, 11:28.
Last edited by Aiena on 12 Feb 2018, 00:22, edited 2 times in total.
Study Buddy Forum Moderator
User avatar
P
Joined: 04 Sep 2016
Posts: 877
Location: India
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Although the school would receive financial benefits if it had soft dr [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2018, 18:06
Hi GMATNinja generis GMATNinjaTwo

Can experts please comment on using negation technique of D/A?
_________________

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
User avatar
P
Status: GMAT and GRE tutor
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 1584
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: Although the school would receive financial benefits if it had soft dr [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2018, 23:15
adkikani wrote:
Hi GMATNinja generis GMATNinjaTwo

Can experts please comment on using negation technique of D/A?

Quote:
Although the school would receive financial benefits if it had soft drink vending machines in the cafeteria, we should not allow them. Allowing soft drink machines there would not be in our students' interest. If our students start drinking more soft drinks, they will be less healthy.

The argument depends on which of the following?

(A) If the soft drink vending machines were placed in the cafeteria, students would consume more soft drinks as a result.
(B) The amount of soft drinks that most students at the school currently drink is not detrimental to their health.
(C) Students are apt to be healthier if they do not drink soft drinks at all than if they just drink small amounts occasionally.
(D) Students will not simply bring soft drinks from home if the soft drink vending machines are not placed in the cafeteria.
(E) The school's primary concern should be to promote good health among its students.


The author concludes that "allowing soft drink machines in the school cafeteria would not be in the students' interest. Why not? Because if the students start drinking more soft drinks, they will be less healthy.

In order for the argument to hold, we need to assume that students will drink MORE soft drinks if the machines are added. In other words, the argument tells us that student health is negatively affected by an increase in soft drink consumption. But we don't know whether adding the machines will actually increase soft drink consumption.

This represents a gap in the logic. What if students will drink the same amount if the machines are installed? In that case, adding the machines would have no impact on the students' health, and the argument would fall apart.

Choice (A) eliminates this possibility and fills the gap. If we negate (A), then students might not drink more soft drinks when the machines are added. In that case, the argument is not valid.

As for choice (D), let's say that the students WILL bring soft drinks from home if the soft drink vending machines are not placed in the cafeteria. At first glance, this might seem to impact the argument. If the machines aren't there, the students will simply bring soft drinks from home.

But choice (D) doesn't tell us anything about the QUANTITY of soda that is consumed in each case. For example, without the machines, a student might bring one soft drink bottle from home every day. WITH the machines, that student might purchase TWO soft drink bottles every day. Adding the machines increases that student's soft drink consumption even though choice (D) is not true. Negating (D) does not necessarily affect the argument, so (D) should be eliminated.

(A) is the best answer.
_________________

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset -- Wednesdays, February 14 - April 4!

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 26 Apr 2015
Posts: 3
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Although the school would receive financial benefits if it had soft dr [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2018, 12:00
notwithstanding wrote:
Although the school would receive financial benefits if it had soft drink vending machines in the cafeteria, we should not allow them. Allowing soft drink machines there would not be in our students' interest. If our students start drinking more soft drinks, they will be less healthy.

The argument depends on which of the following?

(A) If the soft drink vending machines were placed in the cafeteria, students would consume more soft drinks as a result.
(B) The amount of soft drinks that most students at the school currently drink is not detrimental to their health.
(C) Students are apt to be healthier if they do not drink soft drinks at all than if they just drink small amounts occasionally.
(D) Students will not simply bring soft drinks from home if the soft drink vending machines are not placed in the cafeteria.
(E) The school's primary concern should be to promote good health among its students.





P: If... DRINKING (+) soft drinks ----> (-) Health
C: (+) Soft drink VENDING MACHINES is not in the students' best interests.

Before you begin, you must absolutely understand the author's conclusion, and how does (s)he supports that conclusion.
Now an assumption, is something that is totally necessary for the argument to flow from the premise to the conclusion. Sometimes, the assumption can provide a bridge between the premise and the conclusion. Other times, the assumption can guard against other possible overlooked possibilities. In this case, we're creating a bridge.

Notice above the subtle change in scope between the premise and the conclusion. How can the author go from claiming one thing and defend that claim using something else? There's gotta be a connection between (+)VENDING MACHINES and (+)DRINKING; hence, choice (A) is the correct answer. Plug it in, and you'll see how the argument now flows smoothly. :thumbup:

Plug the other choices, and see what kind of effect do they have on the conclusion.

Hope that helps.
Re: Although the school would receive financial benefits if it had soft dr   [#permalink] 13 Apr 2018, 12:00

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 50 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Although the school would receive financial benefits if it had soft dr

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.