GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 25 May 2020, 04:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

An archaeological team has been excavating three ancient village sites

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V39
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V36
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
An archaeological team has been excavating three ancient village sites  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 03 Oct 2019, 01:43
Village Sites (Tab 1)
An archaeological team has been excavating three ancient village sites—Barras, Agna, and Cussaia—looking in particular at kitchen waste dumps as a way to understand the villages’ dietary patterns and trading relationships. What follows are brief summaries of their findings.

Barras: The best data come from stratified finds in this oceanside village, which was inhabited from AD 600 to 1300 and was the only one of the three villages to produce seafood, its main dietary item. Though Barras residents hunted on land and raised crops, this provided relatively small amounts of food. As Barras’s overall prosperity rose, there was more food available per person, and its population increased from an average of 100 residents in the AD 600s to 400 residents in the AD 1000s to 600 residents in the AD 1200s.

Agna: Agna was established in an inland forest around AD 800 and its residents mainly hunted but also ate considerable amounts of fruit, nuts, and other forest-vegetable products. They also traded meat to Barras for other goods. With no open fields, Agna grew no grain.

Cussaia: Predating Barras, Cussaia depended heavily on raising grain crops and eventually obtained seafood and meat via trade. It traded directly only with Barras, because a mountain range separated it from Agna, though some products may have been traded between Agna and Cussaia via Barras.

Additionally, there is no evidence that any other village traded with Barras, Agna, or Cussaia prior to AD 1300.

Attachment:
1.png
1.png [ 126.13 KiB | Viewed 9989 times ]

Food Variety (Tab 2)
Attachment:
tab 2.png
tab 2.png [ 12.4 KiB | Viewed 9986 times ]

Food Consumption (Tab 3)
Attachment:
tab 3.jpg
tab 3.jpg [ 59.73 KiB | Viewed 9996 times ]

Question #1
Attachment:
Q 1.jpg
Q 1.jpg [ 69.99 KiB | Viewed 10011 times ]

Question #2
Attachment:
Q.2.png
Q.2.png [ 19.07 KiB | Viewed 10006 times ]

Question #3
Attachment:
Q.3.png
Q.3.png [ 9.53 KiB | Viewed 9984 times ]

Spoiler: :: OAs
Q. 1: No, Yes and Yes

Q. 2 No, No and No

Q. 3 : C 16000

Originally posted by ngh007 on 13 Jul 2013, 21:45.
Last edited by SajjadAhmad on 03 Oct 2019, 01:43, edited 2 times in total.
Updated - Complete topic (26).
Most Helpful Community Reply
Director
Director
G
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE: Education (Education)
Re: An archaeological team has been excavating three ancient village sites  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2017, 19:22
SASI KUMAR wrote:
ronr34 wrote:
An additional question that I am inserting here due to the fact that the tables are already here:

and the correct is in a square, mine are in the circle

Can someone give explanation on this I couldn't understand

The question asks whether it is supported by each of the two tables. i.e. The statement should be supported by Table 1 AND Table 2. Even if one of the tables does not support the statement, the answer is No. This is analogous to the Logical AND function.

Questions/Statements in the red box, let’s consider them Stmt1, Stmt2, Stmt3.

Statement is SEPERATELY supported by the passage -
Stmt1 -Yes (Read the last line about Barras)
Stmt2 -Yes (Read the last line about Agna)
Stmt3 -Yes (Read the last line about Cussia)

Statement is SEPERATELY supported by each of the 2 tables -
Stmt1 - No (Becasue no data available)
Stmt2 -No (Becasue no data available)
Stmt3 -No (Becasue no data available)

Clubbing them together for final answer -
Stmt1 -No
Stmt2 -No
Stmt3 -No
Intern
Intern
S
Schools: Stanford '22 (S)
GRE 1: Q170 V159
Reviews Badge
Re: An archaeological team has been excavating three ancient village sites  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2013, 06:32
Hi,

Please use table 2. The question is demanding us to assume 5% or more of a given food item. From AD 600 to AD 700, the proportion of grains increased from 10% to 15%. Here the overall consumption of a given food should be considered and not the overall food consumption increase.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Ari
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2013, 10:10
An additional question that I am inserting here due to the fact that the tables are already here:

Attachments

q2.jpg
q2.jpg [ 48.32 KiB | Viewed 42110 times ]

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2013, 23:25
ronr34 wrote:

I think it asks that the facts be distinctly shown by both the passage and tables, therefore the questions have been answered as no in each case.

Had the question been, Was seafood a major chunk of the diet plan for Barras? then the answer would have been yes.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2015, 12:55
Again a question regarding the "grains from cassia from 600 to 700"

The question states: "Assume that any increase of 5% or more from one century to the next in the AMOUNT..."

Tab 2 gives us information about the "percentages, by estimated weight, of dietary items consumed per person"
We see an increase of 5% of grain. However, tab 2 gives us only information about the composition of the dietary in each century and not about the consumed amount. Isn't it possible that the overall consumed amount was reduced and the amount of grain consumption did not increase by 5%? Therefore, the event in the question stem would not hold in this scenario.

Am I flawed in my thinking process?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2015, 08:39
lucky1829 wrote:
Again a question regarding the "grains from cassia from 600 to 700"

The question states: "Assume that any increase of 5% or more from one century to the next in the AMOUNT..."

Tab 2 gives us information about the "percentages, by estimated weight, of dietary items consumed per person"
We see an increase of 5% of grain. However, tab 2 gives us only information about the composition of the dietary in each century and not about the consumed amount. Isn't it possible that the overall consumed amount was reduced and the amount of grain consumption did not increase by 5%? Therefore, the event in the question stem would not hold in this scenario.

Am I flawed in my thinking process?

Your reasoning is prfectly OK, but the trick here is how to use the 2 tables together to solve the problem. Notice that seafood consumption percentage remains the same from 600s to700s (65%), and its actual consumed amount arised from 240 to 250 (a bit more). In other words, the total amout of food consume must have increased too. So, grain consumption actually has in increase of at least 50% (from 10% of x to 15% of y, while y is bigger than x).
Intern
Intern
Doubt with this GMAT PREP IR Question?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2015, 06:31
1) Refer Village Site: Barras: "Its population increased from an average of 100 residents in the AD 600s to 400 residents in the AD 1000s to 600 residents in the AD 1200S"
So from above statement answer for question 1 is YES. :lol:

2) Refer Village Site: Agna: "Agna grew no grain."
So from above statement answer for question 2 is YES. :lol:

3) Refer Village Site: Cussaia: "It taded directlly only with Barras"
So from above statement answer for question 2 is YES. :lol:

Hope you get your answers.......:)
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2016, 19:38
Can some one help me with this one ? Its the same set from the above passage mentioned ..
Attachments

ir1.PNG
ir1.PNG [ 59.08 KiB | Viewed 32097 times ]

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2016, 16:28
Monthly meat consumption for a family of 4 in AD 1000 = 160 lb
Residents in AD 1000 = 400, ~100 families of 4.
100 * 160 lb = 16,000

By a similar logic, in AD 1200 pounds consumed would be 24,000

Assuming a linear increase, the number in AD 1100 would BE 20,000 and the average in the 1000s would be 18,000.

Can you assume a linear increase? not sure, but it's definitely > 16,000
Board of Directors
V
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2016, 06:24
Surbhi17 wrote:
Can some one help me with this one ? Its the same set from the above passage mentioned ..

Number of residents in Baras in 1000 ADs =400.

=> on average for a 4 person family, we have 100 families.

Now we are given that 160 lbs is the average meat consumption of a 4 person family in 1000 ADs.

Thus, Average total meat consumption = 100 * 160=16000. Hence, Answer is C.
GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More | Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here | Have OPT questions? - Post them here.
Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free
Check our new About Us Page here. | Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog
New! Executive Assessment (EA) Exam - All you need to know!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2016, 17:51
Hi can anyone please post explanation for question 3 of this MSR. why all the answers are NO? I am getting all as yes all of them are supported by passage individually!
Board of Directors
V
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2016, 06:08
geek_mnnit wrote:
Hi can anyone please post explanation for question 3 of this MSR. why all the answers are NO? I am getting all as yes all of them are supported by passage individually!

Question no. 3 says we need to select yes ONLY IF we have the below information supported by each of the three tabs.

But, you can see that it is not a valid case for any of the three points provided. Hence, Answer is No for all.
GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More | Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here | Have OPT questions? - Post them here.
Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2016, 17:55
Yeah we have to somehow justify OA but thats a very lame way of tricking people even though I read the stem properly was still in doubt what the hell it meant! supported by each of oh wait a min supported by EACH wtf!
Board of Directors
V
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2016, 09:45
geek_mnnit wrote:
Yeah we have to somehow justify OA but thats a very lame way of tricking people even though I read the stem properly was still in doubt what the hell it meant! supported by each of oh wait a min supported by EACH wtf!

No, we are not justifying the answer somehow. This is how GMAC works. GMAC people know that many people are going to miss the word each and gonna mark the wrong answer.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2016, 23:50
ngh007 wrote:
Can someone please help me with this question that appears in the GMAT Prep:

The main reason why people select no for this question is because they are not sure whether Cussaia grew grain or not. Now there are 2 things to notice:
1. Assumption - any 5% increase in food is likely due to an increase in import - that implies any food whose consumption has increased is not self grown.
2. If grain's consumption is increased then it must have been imported from either Agna or Cussia. if you think you cannot tell from whom import has been made then you would answer this as NO. But in the first table we are told that Agna grew no grain.

Hence this information - Agna grew no grain -- combined with the specified assumption tells us that import has been made from Cussia.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2016, 08:35
ronr34 wrote:

Can someone give explanation on this I couldn't understand
Attachments

Screen Shot 2016-12-08 at 12.28.39 am.png
Screen Shot 2016-12-08 at 12.28.39 am.png [ 501.92 KiB | Viewed 28917 times ]

Intern
Intern
B
Schools: INSEAD Jan '17

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2017, 06:54
Can someone please help me understand below question. According to me all answers should be YES, because all is supported by passage.
Attachments

barras yes no IR.png
barras yes no IR.png [ 455.87 KiB | Viewed 26286 times ]

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2017, 15:13
For the 2nd set of questions that someone posted about:

The question asks: which statements are supported by the passage AND SEPARATELY supported by EACH of the two tables.

The passage clearly supports the 3 statements, so "yes", BUT the tables on the subsequent 2 tabs do NOT mention anything about the statements. Therefore, all 3 statements are "No".
Director
Director
G
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2017, 19:24
Surbhi17 wrote:

Both tables (in tabs 2 and 3) talk about Barras and meat consumption, but this question asks about pounds—that sends us to tab 3.
Read the key up at top. The table shows average monthly meat consumption (good, that’s what we want!) in pounds for a 4-person family. We want pounds. Do we want a 4-person family?
Nope. The question asks about the total consumption in pounds for the residents of Barras. We’re going to need to do a little calculating here.
In the 1000s, Barras’s average monthly consumption per 4-person family was 160 pounds. Per person, then, consumption was 160 /4 = 40 pounds. Hmm, now what?
We need to know the total number of residents in Barras in the 1000s. Where did they tell us that?
Right! Tab 1 gave some information about population at the end of the paragraph about Barras. The passage says that there were 400 residents, on average, in the AD 1000s.
400 residents multiplied by 40 pounds per resident is a total of 16,000 pounds.
The correct answer is (C).
Re: An archaeological team has been excavating three ancient village sites   [#permalink] 30 Oct 2017, 19:24

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 29 posts ] 

An archaeological team has been excavating three ancient village sites

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel, SajjadAhmad