Last visit was: 17 May 2024, 07:15 It is currently 17 May 2024, 07:15
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32557 [18]
Given Kudos: 306
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30905 [10]
Given Kudos: 639
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32557 [1]
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: An inventory of a neighborhood's trees found that 32 percent were coni [#permalink]
A - red oaks
B - deciduous trees

Posted from my mobile device
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32557 [0]
Send PM
Re: An inventory of a neighborhood's trees found that 32 percent were coni [#permalink]
Expert Reply
harish.busupalli wrote:
A - red oaks
B - deciduous trees

Posted from my mobile device

­You cannot find a ratio in the two since oaks as a % of decidous trees is not known.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
A: Spruce
B: Conifer
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Japanese Maples
Deciduous trees
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 255 [0]
Given Kudos: 319
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
chetan2u why cant it be japanese/conifers?
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32557 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Japanese maples were 20% of maples, which were 1/8 of oaks, so Japanese maples = 1/5 * 1/8 * x, where x is number of deciduous trees.
Next conifer are 32% of total, so t* 32/100

But do we have a relation between t and x?
No, had the trees been only deciduous and conifers, then x would be t*68/100, and we would get a relation between Japanese maples and conifers. But most of the rest are deciduous does not give the exact percentage of deciduous. 40% or 50% or 60% would give different answers every time.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65325 [2]
Given Kudos: 431
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply

chetan2u wrote:
­An inventory of a neighborhood's trees found that 32 percent were conifers and most of the rest were deciduous. Among the conifers were 258 spruces and 112 pines, along with some cedars and other species. Most of the deciduous trees were oaks, but one in eight was a maple. Of the oaks, 65 percent were red oaks and 25 percent were white oaks. Of the maples, 20 percent were Japanese maples.

Select for A and for B two types of trees such that the ratio of the number of trees of the type selected for A to the number of trees of the type selected for B can be determined and is less than 1. Make only two selections, one in each column.­

Make a tree diagram of the trees to understand the relations. 
To know the relation between the number of two types of trees, either both should be exact numbers available to us such as Spruces and Pines or their number should be in terms of the same variable such as Red Oaks (65% of Oaks) and White Oaks (25% of Oaks).

Of the given options, number of cedars is unknown so ignore. Ignore Coniferous and Deciduous for the time being because they will likely be the denominator in the ratio (since ratio is less than 1). Let's look for the smaller numerator first. 

Japanese maples are 20% of 1/8th of Deciduous. 

\(Japanese = \frac{1}{40} * Deciduous\)

\(\frac{Japanese}{Deciduous} = \frac{1}{40}\) ANSWER

This ratio we have. 

­
Attachments

Screenshot 2024-03-22 at 3.09.07 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-03-22 at 3.09.07 PM.png [ 92.65 KiB | Viewed 1518 times ]

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Why can't we choose A: Cedar & B:Conifer? The number of Cedar is less than Conifer.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65325 [1]
Given Kudos: 431
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply

qingyuuu wrote:
Why can't we choose A: Cedar & B:Conifer? The number of Cedar is less than Conifer.

Question stem: Select for A and for B two types of trees such that the ratio of the number of trees of the type selected for A to the number of trees of the type selected for B can be determined and is less than 1

We need to be able to "determine" the ratio which means we need its exact value. We don't know how many cedars there are. The ratio will be less than 1 but what will it be exactly, we cannot say.

We can only determine the ratio of Japanese maples to Deciduous trees in the given options. 

­
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Why cant I choose A: japanese maple B: Red oaks? Since the ratio of oak and maple was known,red oaks contain 65% of total oak. Please tell me why I am wrong, thank.
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32557 [1]
Send PM
An inventory of a neighborhood's trees found that 32 percent were coni [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
johnpepe wrote:
Why cant I choose A: japanese maple B: Red oaks? Since the ratio of oak and maple was known,red oaks contain 65% of total oak. Please tell me why I am wrong, thank.

­Red oaks are related numerically to Oaks, but oaks is not linked to Deciduous. We just know most deciduous are oaks, but numerically or a ratio..NO.
Further, JM is linked to maples , which is further linked to deciduous.

But, Oaks and Maples are not linked anywhere.­ The ration between JM and RO may be less than 1, but the exact ratio cannot be determined.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
Send PM
johnpepe wrote:

­The ratio is surely less than one but it can't be determined.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
93330 posts
DI Forum Moderator
1029 posts
RC & DI Moderator
11260 posts