GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Nov 2018, 00:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Another Cheating Scandal

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011
Re: Another Cheating Scandal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2008, 05:51
Looks like GMAC has taken some action:

http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/bl ... g_s_4.html

I'm surprised they only cancelled 100 scores.
SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2008, 06:03
sonibubu wrote:
Looks like GMAC has taken some action:

http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/bl ... g_s_4.html

I'm surprised they only cancelled 100 scores.

I suppose it's better than nothing.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2008, 06:14
More updates...http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/content/sep2008/bs2008099_235708.htm

Seems Chicago GSB has 2 incoming in the new class...some schools say they have none or dont know yet. Stanford has a grad. If schools have an honor code like Kellogg's, then it seems like these students are going to be facing some sanctions.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2008, 06:55
no wonder the BW forum exploded... glad they're taking some actions!

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Manager
Manager
Schools: The School that shall not be named

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2008, 07:02
Quote:
At Stanford University, 20 scores have been canceled, including those of 10 applicants who were denied admission and one student who has already graduated. Derrick Bolton, director of MBA admissions, said if any of the 10 rejected applicants reapplies to Stanford, the school will require a detailed explanation about what the person did and why. The graduate in question will meet with the dean to discuss the situation, but no additional information was available regarding any penalties the school might be considering.

Quoted from the news.
Let's see....
20-10 reject -1 graduated = 9 in the current class?
That's a pretty big number given Stanford's size.

明日やろうばかやろう

24 wrote:
Your East Coast bias is worse than ESPN.

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2008, 07:16
Scores does not equal applicants... 10 applicants could have easily sent all 20 scores if each took the test twice.

~Sam
Current Student
Schools: Fuqua, Anderson, Johnson, Ross

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2008, 19:39
fatb wrote:
Quote:
At Stanford University, 20 scores have been canceled, including those of 10 applicants who were denied admission and one student who has already graduated. Derrick Bolton, director of MBA admissions, said if any of the 10 rejected applicants reapplies to Stanford, the school will require a detailed explanation about what the person did and why. The graduate in question will meet with the dean to discuss the situation, but no additional information was available regarding any penalties the school might be considering.

Quoted from the news.
Let's see....

I assume those 9 students didn't apply. The director would've mentioned if 9 were currently students - that's a sizable number to ignore....
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2008, 21:02
svrider wrote:
fatb wrote:
Quote:

Quoted from the news.
Let's see....

I assume those 9 students didn't apply. The director would've mentioned if 9 were currently students - that's a sizable number to ignore....

I agree, but then I'm not sure how to interpret "At Stanford" -- presumably, "At Stanford" means 20 scores Stanford received at some point. If 10 were rejected, maybe the other 9 sent scores but never applied? (Not sure how often that happens).
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2008, 08:50
damnit i was hoping some more rejects from HBS and Wharton and Columbia....
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2008, 09:27
fresinha12 wrote:
damnit i was hoping some more rejects from HBS and Wharton and Columbia....

haha FTW
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg (R2), UCLA (R2)

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2008, 17:52
I was expecting more score cancellations when the initial number was 6000. Not sure if this will be enough to scare people. Especially no mention of what GMAC is doing about sites hosted outside of USA.
There is an article in today's WSJ about this scandal. 3 admits in Wharton and 2 in Chicago and 1 in Stanford are among the canceled scores. Article states that schools are investigating

Excerpts from the article

The University of Pennsylvania's Wharton business school said three current and past students had their admissions-test scores canceled because they allegedly supplied or accessed live exam questions posted on a Web site.

Earlier, the University of Chicago said it had two students enrolled in its business school whose tests were canceled. Stanford said one of its graduates had a canceled score.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2008, 21:04
Hopefully with these cancellations this scoretop issue has come to an end... Unfortunately some of those with cancelled scores, have already graduated, and I dont know how this would impact their life now..

Those who are currently in B school may be in maximum trouble as they have taken a huge loan, to get inthere, and cancellation of their admission may be financially too hard on them..

I doubt schools will expel them, even Dartmouth didnt do that last year when the plagiarism scandal emerged there on campus..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: St. Gallen '09

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2008, 14:45
Travel09 wrote:
I was expecting more score cancellations when the initial number was 6000. Not sure if this will be enough to scare people. Especially no mention of what GMAC is doing about sites hosted outside of USA.
There is an article in today's WSJ about this scandal. 3 admits in Wharton and 2 in Chicago and 1 in Stanford are among the canceled scores. Article states that schools are investigating

Excerpts from the article

The University of Pennsylvania's Wharton business school said three current and past students had their admissions-test scores canceled because they allegedly supplied or accessed live exam questions posted on a Web site.

Earlier, the University of Chicago said it had two students enrolled in its business school whose tests were canceled. Stanford said one of its graduates had a canceled score.

They should lose their degrees.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2008, 08:09
This was big enough news in the b-school world that our Dean actually sent out an email saying they went through the list and there were no students or alumni on the list. It also sounded like it is hoped that schools that are affected take a hard stance on this to uphold the integrity of the degree because that is key to successful business management.

Judging by the letter, I would think that schools are going to be taking a pretty hardline against students who were caught.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2008, 08:29
I'm waiting to see what Chicago does. I'm disappointed they haven't sent out any form of communication yet, but admittedly, this week is a crazy week for academic services and they likely have limited resources to deal with it.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2008, 09:05
They probably dont want to jump the gun and rush into anything. Probably are going to interview the students involved. It might have to go to an honor code board or something along those lines.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Wharton, Booth, Stern

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2008, 13:54
riverripper wrote:
They probably dont want to jump the gun and rush into anything. Probably are going to interview the students involved. It might have to go to an honor code board or something along those lines.

I think you're right, they are not going to take such a decision lightly. Schools will most probably organise special ethic boards to discuss about each case individually, maybe even with a possibility for students to defend themselves.

Wharton admits, join the rugby team!! It'll be by far the best experience of your MBA life

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2008, 06:06
riverripper wrote:

I heard today that we will have some kind of official communication next week.
Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2018, 05:55
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Another Cheating Scandal &nbs [#permalink] 27 Aug 2018, 05:55

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   [ 439 posts ] 

Another Cheating Scandal

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap