GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Sep 2018, 09:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Another Cheating Scandal

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2008
Posts: 1840
Location: Oklahoma City
Schools: Hard Knocks
Re: Another Cheating Scandal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2008, 11:21
Thanks for the encouragement about the GMAT. I'm finishing up the PowerScore CR Bible. Going to do another challenge or 2. Look over number properties again. Do some selected problems out of the OG toward the back of each section to hopefully get the hardest of all the sections. then Thursday night Im' going to read back over Chineseburned's guide to AWA. Get a good night's sleep and go see what damage i can do.
_________________

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Posts: 5917
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Premium Member
Re: Another Cheating Scandal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2008, 12:22
Wow that chat was almost entirely useless.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2006
Posts: 2093
Re: Another Cheating Scandal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2008, 12:23
rhyme wrote:
Wow that chat was almost entirely useless.


Seriously.

What's next? palm printing in lieu of finger printing?
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Posts: 597
Location: Detroit, MI
Re: Another Cheating Scandal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2008, 12:43
kidderek wrote:
Seriously.

What's next? palm printing in lieu of finger printing?


Glad to hear I wasn't the only one who went, "Huh?!" I fail to see how palm prints will be more useful in identifying repeat cheaters any more so than finger prints.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Posts: 5917
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Premium Member
Re: Another Cheating Scandal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2008, 18:05
sam77sam7 wrote:
kidderek wrote:
Seriously.

What's next? palm printing in lieu of finger printing?


Glad to hear I wasn't the only one who went, "Huh?!" I fail to see how palm prints will be more useful in identifying repeat cheaters any more so than finger prints.


I also didn't get it. I tried switching fingers on my way back after a break once just to see if it was recording fingerprints or comparing them, and it definitely already compares them. I got a bid fat red X on the screen and the guy says "I said index finger."
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 04 Dec 2007
Posts: 1688
Schools: Kellogg '11
Re: Another Cheating Scandal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2008, 21:36
rhyme wrote:
I also didn't get it. I tried switching fingers on my way back after a break once just to see if it was recording fingerprints or comparing them, and it definitely already compares them. I got a bid fat red X on the screen and the guy says "I said index finger."


Haha. It's great that you even thought to try it during the test :lol:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 25 Nov 2006
Posts: 333
Schools: St Gallen, Cambridge, HEC Montreal
Re: Another Cheating Scandal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2008, 01:34
smkrn wrote:
My guess is that the percentiles won't change as a result of this investigation because GMAC is only going after people that actually made posts about the JJs (either posting questions or posting that they recognized them). My guess is that of the 6000 people that payed for VIP access (that GMAC has record of), a small portion actually made posts that meet the requirements for investigation from GMAC (this is just my guess). If this is accurate, then there probably aren't too many scores that will really be canceled, and probably not enough scores will be canceled to really impact the percentiles. But that's just my opinion.



I agree with that, even if I'm an Arsenal fan.

What bugs me even more is the following:
GMACPegJ: GMAC is limiting its investigation to those individuals who
GMACPegJ: a) posted GMAT questions they saw on their GMAT exam, and
GMACPegJ: b) posted a message on Scoretop confirming that they saw items from the Scoretop website on their GMAT exam.


That's basically saying: "As long as you did not talk online about the real questions that you bought/were given/downloaded you will not be investigated".

:roll:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 01 Jan 2008
Posts: 487
Reviews Badge
Re: Another Cheating Scandal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2008, 01:57
Its as simple as this...

GMAC has used this scoretop issue as a warning for potential test takers to refrain from sites where they may potentially pay for live questions and jeopardize their careers.

Despite GMAC's leniency on VIP members who just referred the site , it is certainly not lenient on those who shared test questions or claimed that they saw such questions in their exams, as it will potentially bar them from taking the GMAT in the future. This group will also be a fairly significant in number, as GMAC wouldnt have made so much noise otherwise. Again a substantial part of this group will comprise of students who have graduated , or currently in Business School, and it has yet to be seen on what action is taken against them by B Schools, once theyre notified by GMAC.

Will these students be expelled by B Schools as GMAC has said that there is no way they can retake their GMAT again ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 25 Nov 2006
Posts: 333
Schools: St Gallen, Cambridge, HEC Montreal
Re: Another Cheating Scandal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2008, 02:17
bhatiagp wrote:
Will these students be expelled by B Schools as GMAC has said that there is no way they can retake their GMAT again ?


Part of the answer here:
http://www.stacyblackman.com/2008/07/16 ... ve-to-say/
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Posts: 597
Location: Detroit, MI
Re: Another Cheating Scandal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2008, 06:21
bhatiagp wrote:
This group will also be a fairly significant in number, as GMAC wouldnt have made so much noise otherwise.


I disagree, I don't think they will end up taking action against too many people. They have made so much noise so as to discourage the common practice (in some areas) of sharing questions.

GMAC has to know it cannot stop people who are truly intent on cheating, as these websites will just go underground, and they have no real way to stop any overseas sites. By making so much noise, it is their best chance to discourage the practice.

~Sam
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Posts: 5917
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Premium Member
Re: Another Cheating Scandal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2008, 06:26
Well, I know one of the GSB cheaters, I'll let you guys know if he's still around come the fall.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 10 Apr 2007
Posts: 4318
Location: Back in Chicago, IL
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Re: Another Cheating Scandal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2008, 06:44
rhyme wrote:
Well, I know one of the GSB cheaters, I'll let you guys know if he's still around come the fall.


I am sure he will be, I wonder how well known it is about some of these people cheated. I bet some people are very angry with friends of theirs who recommended the site.
_________________

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2006
Posts: 2093
Re: Another Cheating Scandal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2008, 06:57
rhyme wrote:
Well, I know one of the GSB cheaters, I'll let you guys know if he's still around come the fall.


Did he post questions or just use the JJs? I thought from his blog, he just used JJs.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Posts: 5917
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Premium Member
Re: Another Cheating Scandal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2008, 07:03
kidderek wrote:
rhyme wrote:
Well, I know one of the GSB cheaters, I'll let you guys know if he's still around come the fall.


Did he post questions or just use the JJs? I thought from his blog, he just used JJs.


At the bottom of the exhibit he says: "I have posted around 30 MJJs, which I could remember, from my exam today in the 06.06 section".
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2006
Posts: 2093
Re: Another Cheating Scandal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2008, 07:53
rhyme wrote:
kidderek wrote:
rhyme wrote:
Well, I know one of the GSB cheaters, I'll let you guys know if he's still around come the fall.


Did he post questions or just use the JJs? I thought from his blog, he just used JJs.


At the bottom of the exhibit he says: "I have posted around 30 MJJs, which I could remember, from my exam today in the 06.06 section".


So I guess we'll know whether GMAC is going to act on their word.
GMAT Tutor
avatar
S
Joined: 24 Jun 2008
Posts: 1345
Re: Another Cheating Scandal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2008, 10:00
In light of the ScoreTop closure, I thought many of you would find this interesting- someone seems to be taking up where ScoreTop left off. A friend of mine, another GMAT teacher, received an email two days ago. I think the text speaks for itself- it's pasted below. He suspects they found his email address on the web (posted in his ads for GMAT tutoring)- he was certainly never an ST subscriber. He's reported the email to the GMAC legal team.

This was the text of the email- I won't provide the reply-to address.

Quote:
To any Gmat examinee, "JJ" means "stimulant". "JJ" is so prevalent now that it is called "jungle juice". "JJ" is from China and India and its original name is "JiJing": The live questions examinee met in the Gmat test.

Actual GMAT test is a big question Bank. 2,000 questions (monthly Bank) are selected from the big Bank each month, and about 80% of them will be replaced in next month. Then if the question NO.768 appeared in the last month GMAT test, it still has probability of 20% to appear this month and 4% next month.

We are professional "JJ" TEAM. All the members in our TEAM have been in "JJ" research for at least two years and each got score 740+ in the live test. Hundreds of Chinese and Indian take the test everyday and many of them get score 700+. Every day, we collect new daily JJ from China and India, tell the difference between the valuable and the useless (too easy, unclear, illogic, wrong etc.), revert the valuable…our target: ONLY PROVIDE ESSENCE.

As we all know,the GMAT monthly live questions are the same all over the world. OK, if 50 persons each provide 20 questions met in the test, to each question (for example NO.768), the probability it is included in the monthly "JJ" is: 1-(1-20/2000)50≈39.5%. In the past one year, our friends who subscribed for "JJ" essence service have greatly boosted their scores!

To show our professional service, we would like to email you daily "JJ" essence for free in the next three days. You can experience the best and the most professional "JJ" service in the world!

Attention: In formal version, you will get about 50-80 new JJ essence questions everyday, in free version, you will get 15 questions.

We strongly recommend that: 1, use another new email address to contact us soon if you would like to receive our daily "JJ" for free in the next three days. 2, for some reasons, we will not answer most questions in this email address.

Thank you very much!

_________________

GMAT Tutor in Toronto

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 May 2008
Posts: 278
Schools: MIT
Re: Another Cheating Scandal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2008, 10:51
lumone wrote:
I agree with that, even if I'm an Arsenal fan.


Well, thanks! I guess then that we can at least find some more common ground in opposition to your cross-London rivals. :) My dislike for the Blues seems to grow more everyday...

lumone wrote:
What bugs me even more is the following:
GMACPegJ: GMAC is limiting its investigation to those individuals who
GMACPegJ: a) posted GMAT questions they saw on their GMAT exam, and
GMACPegJ: b) posted a message on Scoretop confirming that they saw items from the Scoretop website on their GMAT exam.


That's basically saying: "As long as you did not talk online about the real questions that you bought/were given/downloaded you will not be investigated".

:roll:


Ya I really think that sucks that there are probably proportionally a much larger group of individuals that still received unfairly inflated scores by passively watching the ST forums. But I guess in order to protect the arguably innocent, GMAC can only go after those people against whom it has concrete, undeniable evidence.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 01 Aug 2007
Posts: 157
Re: Another Cheating Scandal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2008, 11:30
IanStewart wrote:
In light of the ScoreTop closure, I thought many of you would find this interesting- someone seems to be taking up where ScoreTop left off. A friend of mine, another GMAT teacher, received an email two days ago. I think the text speaks for itself- it's pasted below. He suspects they found his email address on the web (posted in his ads for GMAT tutoring)- he was certainly never an ST subscriber. He's reported the email to the GMAC legal team.

This was the text of the email- I won't provide the reply-to address.

Quote:
To any Gmat examinee, "JJ" means "stimulant". "JJ" is so prevalent now that it is called "jungle juice". "JJ" is from China and India and its original name is "JiJing": The live questions examinee met in the Gmat test.

Actual GMAT test is a big question Bank. 2,000 questions (monthly Bank) are selected from the big Bank each month, and about 80% of them will be replaced in next month. Then if the question NO.768 appeared in the last month GMAT test, it still has probability of 20% to appear this month and 4% next month.

We are professional "JJ" TEAM. All the members in our TEAM have been in "JJ" research for at least two years and each got score 740+ in the live test. Hundreds of Chinese and Indian take the test everyday and many of them get score 700+. Every day, we collect new daily JJ from China and India, tell the difference between the valuable and the useless (too easy, unclear, illogic, wrong etc.), revert the valuable…our target: ONLY PROVIDE ESSENCE.

As we all know,the GMAT monthly live questions are the same all over the world. OK, if 50 persons each provide 20 questions met in the test, to each question (for example NO.768), the probability it is included in the monthly "JJ" is: 1-(1-20/2000)50≈39.5%. In the past one year, our friends who subscribed for "JJ" essence service have greatly boosted their scores!

To show our professional service, we would like to email you daily "JJ" essence for free in the next three days. You can experience the best and the most professional "JJ" service in the world!

Attention: In formal version, you will get about 50-80 new JJ essence questions everyday, in free version, you will get 15 questions.

We strongly recommend that: 1, use another new email address to contact us soon if you would like to receive our daily "JJ" for free in the next three days. 2, for some reasons, we will not answer most questions in this email address.

Thank you very much!


I am sure this is a scam..some persons trying to make quick bucks amidst the new found publicity of JJs. The text of the email seems to be targeted at the US/ western audience and tomtomed JJs in a way which is very similar to advertisings of mysetrious oriental aphrodisiacs and othe gibberishes . I know there are more than 200 languages in India but am sure jijing ( going by the sound here) can't be part of an Indian language vocabulary.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 18 Jun 2008
Posts: 224
Re: Another Cheating Scandal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2008, 12:17
filmcity wrote:
IanStewart wrote:
In light of the ScoreTop closure, I thought many of you would find this interesting- someone seems to be taking up where ScoreTop left off. A friend of mine, another GMAT teacher, received an email two days ago. I think the text speaks for itself- it's pasted below. He suspects they found his email address on the web (posted in his ads for GMAT tutoring)- he was certainly never an ST subscriber. He's reported the email to the GMAC legal team.

This was the text of the email- I won't provide the reply-to address.

Quote:
To any Gmat examinee, "JJ" means "stimulant". "JJ" is so prevalent now that it is called "jungle juice". "JJ" is from China and India and its original name is "JiJing": The live questions examinee met in the Gmat test.

Actual GMAT test is a big question Bank. 2,000 questions (monthly Bank) are selected from the big Bank each month, and about 80% of them will be replaced in next month. Then if the question NO.768 appeared in the last month GMAT test, it still has probability of 20% to appear this month and 4% next month.

We are professional "JJ" TEAM. All the members in our TEAM have been in "JJ" research for at least two years and each got score 740+ in the live test. Hundreds of Chinese and Indian take the test everyday and many of them get score 700+. Every day, we collect new daily JJ from China and India, tell the difference between the valuable and the useless (too easy, unclear, illogic, wrong etc.), revert the valuable…our target: ONLY PROVIDE ESSENCE.

As we all know,the GMAT monthly live questions are the same all over the world. OK, if 50 persons each provide 20 questions met in the test, to each question (for example NO.768), the probability it is included in the monthly "JJ" is: 1-(1-20/2000)50≈39.5%. In the past one year, our friends who subscribed for "JJ" essence service have greatly boosted their scores!

To show our professional service, we would like to email you daily "JJ" essence for free in the next three days. You can experience the best and the most professional "JJ" service in the world!

Attention: In formal version, you will get about 50-80 new JJ essence questions everyday, in free version, you will get 15 questions.

We strongly recommend that: 1, use another new email address to contact us soon if you would like to receive our daily "JJ" for free in the next three days. 2, for some reasons, we will not answer most questions in this email address.

Thank you very much!


I am sure this is a scam..some persons trying to make quick bucks amidst the new found publicity of JJs. The text of the email seems to be targeted at the US/ western audience and tomtomed JJs in a way which is very similar to advertisings of mysetrious oriental aphrodisiacs and othe gibberishes . I know there are more than 200 languages in India but am sure jijing ( going by the sound here) can't be part of an Indian language vocabulary.


JiJing is likely Chinese? At least that was what first popped up in my mind.
Ji (記)- remember
Jing (經)- sacred text/scroll/book/scripture
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 27 Mar 2008
Posts: 415
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Re: Another Cheating Scandal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2008, 15:29
Haha.. Glad to see I wasn't the only one who was curious about trying that.

I wonder how much longer GMAC's "investigation" is going to take? Considering they have been working on the FBI on this for a couple of years, why aren't they just coming out with their decisions.

rhyme wrote:
sam77sam7 wrote:
kidderek wrote:
Seriously.

What's next? palm printing in lieu of finger printing?


Glad to hear I wasn't the only one who went, "Huh?!" I fail to see how palm prints will be more useful in identifying repeat cheaters any more so than finger prints.


I also didn't get it. I tried switching fingers on my way back after a break once just to see if it was recording fingerprints or comparing them, and it definitely already compares them. I got a bid fat red X on the screen and the guy says "I said index finger."
Re: Another Cheating Scandal &nbs [#permalink] 24 Jul 2008, 15:29

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22    Next  [ 439 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Another Cheating Scandal

  new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.