GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Sep 2018, 13:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Another hairball SC that today's CAT coughed up The

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
B
Another hairball SC that today's CAT coughed up The  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2006, 08:10
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

88% (01:12) correct 12% (01:46) wrong based on 107 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Another hairball SC that today's CAT coughed up :shock:

The spending on durable goods such as household appliances and automobiles is a cyclical pattern that depends on if the overall economy is healthy, whereas non-durable goods like food and shelter remain constant regardless of the economy.

(A) The spending on durable goods such as household appliances and automobiles is a cyclical pattern that depends on if the overall economy is healthy, whereas non-durable goods such as food and shelter remain constant regardless of the economy.

(B) Regardless of the economy, spending on non-durable goods such as food and shelter remains constant even though spending on durable goods such as household appliances and automobiles is a cyclical pattern that depends on whether the overall economy is healthy.

(C) Spending on durable goods such as household appliance and automobiles follows a cyclical pattern that depends on the health of the overall economy, whereas spending on non-durable goods such as food and shelter remains constant regardless of the economy's health.

(D) Whether the overall economy is healthy determines the cyclical pattern of spending on durable goods such as household appliances and automobiles, whereas non-durable spending such as food and shelter remains constant regardless of the economy.

(E) The cyclical pattern of spending on durable goods such as household appliances and automobiles depends on whether the overall economy is healthy but non-durable goods such as food and shelter remain constant regardless of the economy.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Re: Another hairball SC that today's CAT coughed up The  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2006, 09:43
Same thouts........C wud be my take on it.....................
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2006, 10:21
C

Depends on, depends on whether all idiomatic
Also Depends and "if" on the first makes the Original sentence "redundant"

time is not on my side

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2006, 16:14
Isn't D the best choice?

(C) Spending on durable goods such as household appliance and automobiles follows a cyclical pattern that depends on the health of the overall economy, whereas spending on non-durable goods such as food and shelter remains constant regardless of the economy's health

Shouldn't remains be singular?
Is C the OA?
Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2006, 17:37
never mind. I looked again and see your point:

spending ..... remains
not goods ...... remains
Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2006, 17:40
There are two parallel but contrasting ideas:

Spending on durable goods such as household appliance and automobiles follows a cyclical pattern that depends on the health of the overall economy,
+
whereas
+
spending on non-durable goods such as food and shelter remains constant regardless of the economy's health.

(C)

How did you know this is a 700 level question ?

"Education is what remains when one has forgotten everything he learned in school."

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2006, 19:29
Swagatalakshmi wrote:
There are two parallel but contrasting ideas:

Spending on durable goods such as household appliance and automobiles follows a cyclical pattern that depends on the health of the overall economy,
+
whereas
+
spending on non-durable goods such as food and shelter remains constant regardless of the economy's health.

(C)

How did you know this is a 700 level question ?

The CAT I took "claims" it is 700 level. Anyway, you guys killed it! OA is (C)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2006, 19:49
(A) 'if the overall economy is healthy' --> whether is preferred

(B) Lacks parallelism

(C) Spending on durable goods such as household appliance and automobiles follows a cyclical pattern that depends on the health of the overall economy, whereas spending on non-durable goods such as food and shelter remains constant regardless of the economy's health.

(D) lacks parallelism, and the starting of the sentence is strange (whether Whether the overall economy is healthy determines the cyclical pattern of spending...)

(E) Lacks parallelism

C is the best. parallel comparison.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2013, 08:36
Isn't econmy's health in C incorrect ?
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2017, 10:16
I do not really get why answer choice C is correct

A- has a meaning problem since not the "non-durable goods" remind stable but rather the spending

B- I really do not see anything wrong with that choice

C- "Health" seems a little awkward to me since I connect this word with humans, but I that is not a valid reason to reject C either

D- Awkward passive construction, furthermore uses "non-durable spending" which is nonsense

E-again uses "non-durable goods" instead of spending

Hence, I am able to easily reject all Answer choices but B and C. What is the further approach here guys? Some of you mentioned paralleslim but I do not see any violation in either of theses choices

One thing that might weigh against answer choice B is: We should not that "spending" IS "a cylcical pattern", since that is complete nonsense..
Retired Moderator
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2017, 03:57
asdfghjklasdfghj wrote:
I do not really get why answer choice C is correct

A- has a meaning problem since not the "non-durable goods" remind stable but rather the spending

B- I really do not see anything wrong with that choice

C- "Health" seems a little awkward to me since I connect this word with humans, but I that is not a valid reason to reject C either

D- Awkward passive construction, furthermore uses "non-durable spending" which is nonsense

E-again uses "non-durable goods" instead of spending

Hence, I am able to easily reject all Answer choices but B and C. What is the further approach here guys? Some of you mentioned paralleslim but I do not see any violation in either of theses choices

One thing that might weigh against answer choice B is: We should not that "spending" IS "a cylcical pattern", since that is complete nonsense..

Spending IS not a pattern, it FOLLOWS a pattern. Hence B is wrong and C is correct.

B. ...spending on durable goods such as household appliances and automobiles IS a cyclical pattern...

C. Spending on durable goods such as household appliance and automobiles FOLLOWS a cyclical pattern...
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Another hairball SC that today's CAT coughed up The &nbs [#permalink] 04 Mar 2017, 03:57

Another hairball SC that today's CAT coughed up The

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap