Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:11 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 307 [99]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [31]
Given Kudos: 130
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619022 [2]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 232 [4]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Antoine: The alarming fact is that among children aged 19 years and yo [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
I think the explanation needs to be clarified. Lucy's conclusion, which is not directly stated, is: It is NOT alarming that antipsychotic drug use among children increased more than among adults over the past 4 years. (Note that you have to read the other person's argument in order to see what her conclusion is. This is fairly common in this type of question.) Her single piece of evidence for this conclusion is the fact that the rate of antipsychotic drug use among children is still much lower than the rate among adults.

What assumption does her argument depend on? Clearly, it depends on assuming that the "normal" or "appropriate" rate of use of this type of medication is the same for children for adults -- or at least, that the "normal" rate for children is not lower. Choice C provides this assumption.

Choice A is irrelevant. The argument turns on what the normal level for children IS. If the normal level is actually much lower than the level for adults, then the actual level of use may exceed it, and Antoine is correct. If the normal level is about the same, then the actual level probably doesn't exceed it, and Lucy is correct. So either the normal level is exceeded or it isn't, regardless of A.

Choice B is the opposite of what is needed. It says that the level for adults is "always" higher. If this is true, then it contradicts the assumption that Lucy needs, which is that the level should be about the same.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 244
Send PM
Re: Antoine: The alarming fact is that among children aged 19 years and yo [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Lucy: But the use of antipsychotic drugs by adults is considered normal at the current rate of 11 adults per 1,000 taking the drugs. In contrast, the number of children on antipsychotic medication last year was 6.6 per 1,000 children.

Should be C because Lucy is trying to show that the use of drugs in children is somehow okay (or lower) compared to adults. Hence, she must assume that the use of drugs in adults and children is the same.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 610 Q50 V23
GPA: 3.82
WE:Corporate Finance (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Antoine: The alarming fact is that [#permalink]
mikemcgarry i didnt quite understand this. Such questions usually throw me off my gmat game. CR seems to look good for me and bang! such a question comes along and i am gone :( any suggestions?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [4]
Given Kudos: 130
Re: Antoine: The alarming fact is that [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
debaratidg wrote:
mikemcgarry i didnt quite understand this. Such questions usually throw me off my gmat game. CR seems to look good for me and bang! such a question comes along and i am gone :( any suggestions?

Dear debaratidg,
I'm happy to respond. :-) I will begin by suggesting this blog:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2014/how-to-im ... bal-score/
I would say that the best way for you to develop a sense for the diversity of forms that the GMAT CR could throw at you, you need to be reading real world arguments. Look at news sources --- the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, the Economist magazine, Bloomberg Businessweek, etc. These source regularly feature arguments by politicians and folks in business. Read these arguments, and analyze them--- what are the conclusions? what are the assumptions? what would strengthen or weaken each argument? what information would you need to evaluate the argument? Also, notice that the author of the article is often making a much more subtle argument by his arrangement of the people he quotes and the questions he poses: pay attention to the subtle arguments at that level as well. If you can understand all the different ways people make arguments in the real business world, then you will be able to handle the GMAT.

This is a very important skill to master. If you don't understand an argument on the GMAT, you get one question wrong. If you don't understand an argument in a crucial business deal, you may miss out on a valuable opportunity for your company to make millions of dollars.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
Send PM
Antoine: The alarming fact is that among children aged 19 years and yo [#permalink]
I do not think Choice C is the assumption because it does not have to be true for the conclusion to hold. Choice C just tells that the reason for consumption of antipsychotic drugs is the same for both adults and children. Let us negate this - Lets say that the reason for taking antipsychotic drugs in children is epilepsy while in adults it is depression. This doesn't make a difference in the argument. Lucy can still make the comparison for justifying her claim.
Also, I find it weird when Lucy compares the consumption rate - 11 adults per 1,000 taking the drugs vs 6.6 per 1,000 children. It would have made much more sense if it said 11 adults per 1,000 adults. Also, she compares current rate in case of adults to last year rate in case of children. This comparison had me question so many things and therefore so many assumptions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Bookmarks
A – This is irrelevant

B – “always” makes this an absolute claim, so it is incorrect

C – Correct

D – Also irrelevant, Antoine’s intentions have nothing to do with anything.

E – Introduces new information, not discussed in the prompt, and is far too specific.

C fits with the claims that Lucy makes and provides information that strengthens her claim by eliminating a potential variable. If there was a difference in how antipsychotics were used in children and adults, the rate of usage would become less relevant.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 261 [1]
Given Kudos: 306
Send PM
Kudos
prasun84 wrote:
Antoine: The alarming fact is that among children aged 19 years and younger, the number taking antipsychotic medicines soared 73 percent in the last four years. That is greater than the increase in the number of adults taking antipsychotic medicines during the same period.

Lucy: But the use of antipsychotic drugs by adults is considered normal at the current rate of 11 adults per 1,000 taking the drugs. In contrast, the number of children on antipsychotic medication last year was 6.6 per 1,000 children.

Lucy’s argument relies on the assumption that ______.

(A) normal levels of antipsychotic drug use are rarely exceeded.

(B) the percentage of adults taking antipsychotic medication is always higher than the percentage of children on such medication.

(C) the use of antipsychotic medication in children is no different from the use of such medications in adults.

(D) Antoine is not consciously distorting the statistics he presents.

(E) a rapid increase in the number of children taking antipsychotic drugs generates more fear of random violence by adolescents than does knowledge of the absolute number of children on such medications.

Antonie is saying that the number of children taking anti psychotic medicines is alarmingly high.
Lucy is saying that the the number of children taking anti psychotic medicines is normal.
Lucy gives the reason that now 11 adults per 1,000 take the drugs and it is considered normal. Since among children , only 6.6 per 1,000 children take anti psychotic drugs , so for children also the number is normal.
In drawing the conclusion that for both adult and children the number is normal , Lucy assumes that "the use of antipsychotic medication in children is no different from the use of such medications in adults."
Option C is the correct answer.
Please give me KUDOs if you liked my answer.
GMATNinja VeritasKarishma generis
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64923 [3]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM