Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:05 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 19
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V42
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Anyone admitted into Jan2021 looking to defer? [#permalink]
I would like to respectfully disagree.
INSEAD runs a robust wait list, the current 21 D is already over the usual enrolment number.

Even if people defer, they pull people out of them. I think at the where people were applying for 21D, there was reasonable expectation that the situation would clear up a c..year out.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I am least concerned about spots, because there's a definite surplus of application. Applications have surged ~60%. Plus deferments are subject to approvals. I expect lots will have this same consideration given the hefty sum involved. Unprecedented times.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
McConnell wrote:
To be frank, you should have known that this online only was a strong likelihood given the timing you guys applied. If we were back in April then maybe i'd have more sympathy, but now it almost seems stupid that you're asking this question. Now, you're going to defer and take another students’ spot. This is exactly why people are predicting fewer spots.

Think that’s a bit harsh and uneducated to be honest. There are a number of factors that come into play when evaluating the pandemic, many that INSEAD aren’t prepared for themselves. Access to a vaccine, a second wave, recruitment possibilities, visas etc...

Also the situation changes continuously. The decision points one had in the earlier stages are completely different to where we are now. Information and global practices have continuously evolved over the last few months. I can go into more specifics but I'm sure you know the jist of it.

Plus I think you've completely ignored how the waitlist works here. INSEAD themselves have recommended that if you aren't open to the online experience then you should consider deferring it (you can listen to the fireside chat the had recently).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Kudos
Well here's the thing. Nobody knew in May (R2 deadline), how long this would last. You can't really blame someone to be taking your seat. The least you can do is empathize. And just FYI, the class of Dec 21 is already over capacity and INSEAD had already accounted for deferrals during the process. So not really sure whose spot someone else is taking (I would assume INSEAD followed the same rigorous selection process, hence all selected applicants deserve a spot?)

If you have a problem with the deferral process, try taking it up with the school maybe?

McConnell wrote:
To be frank, you should have known that this online only was a strong likelihood given the timing you guys applied. If we were back in April then maybe i'd have more sympathy, but now it almost seems stupid that you're asking this question. Now, you're going to defer and take another students’ spot. This is exactly why people are predicting fewer spots.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
GRE 1: Q164 V156
Send PM
fairuzshariff wrote:
Considering the ongoing pandemic, anyone looking to defer their intake? I was admitted in R2, but having second thoughts about accepting it. Just in case classes are not 100% offline yet. Plus the inconvenience of sorting things out at the moment (flights, borders etc) and there being no clear end in sight of this.

I spoke to EL who told me I can apply but it is still subject to approval for deferment if the reason is valid.

Anyone else in a similar boat?

What is the process for deferment? Do you do it after you accept the offer or before?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
GRE 1: Q164 V156
Send PM
Bookmarks
theripper wrote:
McConnell wrote:

Think that’s a bit harsh and uneducated to be honest. There are a number of factors that come into play when evaluating the pandemic, many that INSEAD aren’t prepared for themselves. Access to a vaccine, a second wave, recruitment possibilities, visas etc...

Also the situation changes continuously. The decision points one had in the earlier stages are completely different to where we are now. Information and global practices have continuously evolved over the last few months. I can go into more specifics but I'm sure you know the jist of it.

Plus I think you've completely ignored how the waitlist works here. INSEAD themselves have recommended that if you aren't open to the online experience then you should consider deferring it (you can listen to the fireside chat the had recently).

Could you share the link for the fireside chat? Id love to hear their views on deferment.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
krishsreedevi wrote:
theripper wrote:
McConnell wrote:

Could you share the link for the fireside chat? Id love to hear their views on deferment.

Hey, I believe you would need to login into your MBA journey and then you can view a video of it on the academics section. Let me know if you have difficulties finding it

Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 19
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V42
Send PM
Whatever you say.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
How do you know 21D is already over its allotment
Intern
Intern
Send PM
krishsreedevi wrote:
fairuzshariff wrote:
Considering the ongoing pandemic, anyone looking to defer their intake? I was admitted in R2, but having second thoughts about accepting it. Just in case classes are not 100% offline yet. Plus the inconvenience of sorting things out at the moment (flights, borders etc) and there being no clear end in sight of this.

I spoke to EL who told me I can apply but it is still subject to approval for deferment if the reason is valid.

Anyone else in a similar boat?

What is the process for deferment? Do you do it after you accept the offer or before?

You do it before. You should reach out to your AO they will send you the details. Mine emphasized heavily that the process is still dependant on the validity of your reason. You then need to pay EUR5,000 if they accept your deferment.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Send PM
Hi guys! I am R3 candidate admitted to J21 INSEAD class. Given the situation in France with the number of cases surging every day, I am also thinking about deferral. Has any of you deferred already? Are there deferral steps and deadlines available somewhere online? Does the committee view the concerns about the Covid as a valid reason for deferral? Sharing your experience would be very helpful....
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MJ07 wrote:
Hi guys! I am R3 candidate admitted to J21 INSEAD class. Given the situation in France with the number of cases surging every day, I am also thinking about deferral. Has any of you deferred already? Are there deferral steps and deadlines available somewhere online? Does the committee view the concerns about the Covid as a valid reason for deferral? Sharing your experience would be very helpful....

You can reach out to your AO, they will give you more clarity on the process. I presume they will not take that into consideration as much as we would like because they need to manage the number of students asking for deferments which would likely be larger than usual.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
I guess the school is very lenient on deferral application from 21D class, at least I got mine approved in 3 days. Because 21D is already ~15% larger than the usual size, even without R4.

From the fireside chat to 21D, you can feel the tone is negative and uncertain, and in effect encouraging students to defer (unlike the fireside chat to 21J, which has a very positive tone and encourages students to stay on, because there's only 300 students left). Another sign is that the school is issuing 22D offer to certain 21D R3 applicants.

So I guess the school is trying all means to control and reduce the size of 21D.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
MJ07 wrote:

COVID could be a valid reason, depends on how you justify. If you're in healthcare industry fighting COVID, and don't want to leave the job now, then it's the best reason. It could also be that you want to gain more experience to ensure a better job perspective in such an uncertain world. It really depends on your personal situation, a bit like writing application essay to be frank..
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72876 [0]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Archived INSEAD Discussion
Hi there,
You've stumbled upon an old discussion from our INSEAD Forum that's now outdated and has been archived. No more replies are possible here.
Interested in current discussions? Feel free to dive into our dedicated INSEAD Forum for all fresh things related to the INSEAD MBA program.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts