Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 18:01 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 18:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [0]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Re: Anyone applying to any Analytics/Big Data programs? [#permalink]
It's well documented that there's a big data talent gap, but what's being done about it? What's needed is knowledge and experience. On the first front, hundreds of colleges and universities worldwide are gearing up business analytics, machine learning and other programs aimed at analysis of data in a business context.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT Date: 11-23-2013
GPA: 3.31
WE:Sales (Consulting)
Send PM
Bookmarks
I'm looking for advice in regards to these programs. There seems to be a lot of ambiguity around what actually qualifies someone as a good fit for a Masters in Data Analytics, and since these programs are so new there really isn't any robust community that is able to answer basic questions without some heavy marketing from the schools themselves (aka - just apply, just do it!$!$!).

From what I've been able to gather, there is obviously a huge difference between pursuing a Masters in a Business School vs. an Engineering School, though the latter is clearly trying to burn the candle at both ends. Several engineering programs I've seen have said that "business" is a suitable undergraduate major, while at the same time allude to "strong IT and Math skills" - is the GMAT enough? If so, are applicants to assume that the GMAT requirements in the engineering school are the same as the business school? (ie. McCormick vs. Kellogg @ Northwestern)

I work within a group at a top 3 consulting firm dedicated to leveraging analytics, but my role is based around prospecting - the experience that I've been able to acquire is mostly sales and marketing related, focusing on lead management and soft skills (demos, sales/cold calls etc). Having said that, I have been exposed to significant data analysis (one of my big internal projects was to design a CRM strategy). Currently, I have 1.5 years worth of experience working at MBB (2 at maltrication, Fall 2014) with 1.2 working for a data storage hardware manufacturer (an additional prospecting role). I am confident that I can write a great story for my application, though the question remains - "what fits?"...

Any help here would be much appreciated, I have identified 5 full time programs that have caught my interest, as well as two online programs. What have you heard about these programs? Any past applicants? Current students?

Northwestern (McCormick, Engineering) https://www.analytics.northwestern.edu/
Texas (McCombs) https://www.mccombs.utexas.edu/business-analytics.aspx
Carnegie Melon (Heinz) https://www.heinz.cmu.edu/school-of-info ... index.aspx
NC State (Institute for Advanced Analytics) https://analytics.ncsu.edu/ (Specifically states DO NOT send ANY standardized tests)
Bentley (B-School) https://www.bentley.edu/graduate/degree- ... -analytics

Online Programs
Cal - Berkeley (School of Information) - https://datascience.berkeley.edu/
Northwestern (School of Continuing Studies) - https://scs.northwestern.edu/info/predic ... OgodW30AnQ

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

**Also, I should point out that NYU-Stern has a policy of only accepting applicants with 5+ years of experience, which I find somewhat... interesting... considering that most of the messaging for comparable programs encourages those who are genuinely interested in learning a new skill to apply, regardless of experience. Again, the ambiguity....
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Bookmarks
Hi,

To join in MS Analytics programs you can opt for some analytics certificate programs. Recently I came across a site called International School of Engineering (INSOFE) where in their homepage they mentioned that their (INSOFE) student have got admitted to Northwestern University and their (INSOFE) programs content, pedagogy, assessment are certified by LTI of Carnegie Mellon University. Check their site and talk to them to know more details. This might help you.

Programs they offer:

CPEE - Big Data Analytics and Optimization (insofe.edu.in/init/default/cee_program_features)
Engineering Big Data with R and Hadoop Ecosystem (insofe.edu.in/init/default/elearning_engineering_big_data)
Essentials of Applied Predictive Analytics (insofe.edu.in/init/default/elearning_data_scientist)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 151 [1]
Given Kudos: 19
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GRE 1: Q166 V160
GPA: 3.74
Send PM
Kudos
I am also a business graduate interested in big data programs. But I have noticed that very few big-name universities are offering masters in big data / analytics. From the list by slinefeld, I like the northwestern program. But I have general feel that MISM (even if with BIDA) from Carnegie Mellon is mostly focused on IT Professionals (confirmed from their employment stats). Same seems to be case with other programs.

I am looking for Big Data programs for people like me who have business degrees in undergrad (with some maths off course but not computer science or status majors), any help is much appreciated :)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [0]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
Please understand that Data Anlaytics is a very technical field. Intact NYU MS in Data Science says that they prefer undergraduates in Computer Science and Statistics. So my inference is that a Bachelor in Mechanical Engineering is not their ideal candidate. So to sustain long term in this field deep technical knowledge is needed. Many CS department offer specialization in Data Analytics.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
You might want to look up the Masters in Business Analytics and Big Data at IE university.

IMHO, the curriculum seems to have a lot of emphasis on practical application which is useful. They've got tie ups with IBM and BBVA for the program if i'm not mistaken.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
I got an admit into IE's program for '14 (set to start about three weeks from now) and NYU Stern's Masters in Business Analytics. I am based out of the Middle East with most of my previous work exp having been in marketing/ sales. I am an engineer by education plus an mba grad and I had about three years of Siebel CRM experience at the start of my career before my MBA, so I guess that helped. Given my background I wasn't counting too much on making it as a Data Scientist as I've moved on from hardcore computing a while ago and it seemed like a long walk back. Not one that I would necessarily mind but with a baby on the way I couldn't reset my career level too much and start all over again. So I had narrowed down on these two programs as they seemed to balance business and computing quite well so I could swing towards an optimal career track.

For the moment however I am giving IE a pass. Im not an EU national and I don't speak any EU languages other than English and I have been getting sufficient warnings about how tough a career break is for someone not fitting into that two point checklist above, especially in light of the shaky economic scene there.

The NYU program is extremely interesting but very very expensive for non American citizens or permanent residents as we don't have access to financial aid. I am yet to confirm my decision on it but for those of you who gave it a look, you would have noticed that the program (for a course fee of approx. 67500 USD) has only 5 weeks on any of the campuses, the rest of it is all distance learning. While some of you would find this a comfortable format of learning without dropping your job, I do worry that if we are not full time residents in NY, it would be fairly impossible to land any job options there through this program.

Do let me know if you guys have any thoughts.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 8
GRE 1: Q168 V150
Send PM
Hello Guys,

Even I am applying for MS in Data Science, have the same problem as pointed above. But there seems to be no direct ranking or background requirement for the course.

Gre - 318. I have done B.E. in Chemical Engg. Not much exposure to Computer Science or stats.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 8
GRE 1: Q168 V150
Send PM
Hello Guys,

Even I am applying for MS in Data Science, have the same problem as pointed above. But there seems to be no direct ranking or background requirement for the course.

Gre - 318. I have done B.E. in Chemical Engg. Not much exposure to Computer Science or stats.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
These just popped onto my radar because of a recommendation by a professor I had in undergrad. My biggest question is, who are these targeted at--are they more for experienced professionals, like an MBA, or recent grads & early-career people? How difficult would it be to apply as someone with just a year of work experience (at time of applying)?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey there! Any admits for the Singapore Management University - Master's in Business Analytics Program, starting August 2015?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
iamadithya wrote:
Hey there! Any admits for the Singapore Management University - Master's in Business Analytics Program, starting August 2015?

yeah! well, you will more confirm it. :)
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [1]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM