It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 15:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Anything I can do about my low verbal score?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Anything I can do about my low verbal score? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2017, 21:20
I took my official GMAT yesterday and got a 660 (Q50, V29). Like anyone else who's put in time and effort (not to mention investing a bit of money), I'm very disappointed and embarrassed with my score. But I'm also having doubts about the scoring algorithm/adaptiveness of the verbal section, which is what this post is about.

Below are the scores of my last 5 practice tests -

GMATPrep 1 - 710 (Q49, V38)
Kaplan - 710 (Q49, V39)
Veritas Prep - 740 (Q50, V41)
Princeton Review 680 (Q42, V42) - Assuming quant score is an anomaly here because I got only 7 wrong, none of which were in the first 10 questions and none of which were consecutive mistakes.
GMATPrep 2- 710 (Q50, V36)

As you can see, lowest I've scored in verbal was 36. Assuming these practice tests are reasonably indicative of how the difficulty level of the actual GMAT is, I don't think I was wrong in expecting questions of similar difficulty in the official GMAT and consequently, a similar verbal score as well (not less than V35).

However, in the test, very few questions I got were anywhere close to the difficulty level seen in these practice tests, they were much more difficult than those I'd seen during prep, and I'm sure I wasn't so underprepared that I was not able to get basic verbal questions right. I estimate about 7-8 questions at the same difficulty level as these tests and the OG, and I got them towards the end of the test by which time I guess I'd made a lot of mistakes for the difficulty level to come down.

My questions are -
1) Is there any chance that the test didn't exactly adapt to my level and kept throwing 700+ level questions at me for pretty much the whole duration of the section?
2) Is there any chance I was scored lower for this section than what the usual norm is?
3) I understand that I can report this to GMAC since the scoring goes through another round or two of verification. Where can I do so?

Thanks in advance!

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Veritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesMagoosh Discount CodesOptimus Prep Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 56

Re: Anything I can do about my low verbal score? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2017, 10:57
I would purchase the ESR for $25. It's not as helpful as it could be, but it will give you a better picture of how you did on the verbal section. It has a section that shows the level of difficulty of questions answered correctly / incorrectly. I experienced the same issue with verbal on my first attempt. I had been scoring in the high 30s on all of my practice tests and ended up with a 31 on V. I started the section well, but crashed during the second half, resulting in a lower score. Hope this helps and best of luck to you!

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 56

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 8

GMAT Date: 06-13-2017
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Anything I can do about my low verbal score? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2017, 12:21
Totally agreed. I have the same experience recently. GMAT Verbal questions on official test I have seen were much higher level than any of the questions on exam pack 1 and 2.

Biggest question :
Is GMAT has changed after change
in flexibility of order of sections?
Certainly Yes...

- Maniyar

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 8

BSchool Forum Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 747 [0], given: 19

Concentration: General Management, Leadership
WE: Sales (Retail)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Anything I can do about my low verbal score? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2017, 22:59
Hi

Welcome to GMATClub!

660 is not so bad a score to begin with!
All you need is to tweak your strategies and score better on the Verbal Section

IMO, the best way out is to order an ESR and find out which your weakest
section is. After that you should work on those sections and give GMAT
another shot.

Please find below the links which I found very beneficial for Verbal
Reading Comprehension : https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-club-s- ... 83101.html
Sentence Correction : https://gmatclub.com/forum/sentence-cor ... 04883.html
Critical Reasoning : https://gmatclub.com/forum/critical-rea ... 45178.html

This is another link which you could follow to improve your Verbal score : V30 -> V40

Hope that helps you!

Stay hungry, Stay foolish

2017-2018 MBA Deadlines

Class of 2020: Rotman Thread | Schulich Thread
Class of 2019: Sauder Thread

Kudos [?]: 747 [0], given: 19

Anything I can do about my low verbal score?   [#permalink] 19 Oct 2017, 22:59

Anything I can do about my low verbal score?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
HOT DEALS FOR NOVEMBER
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap