Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:03 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 179
Concentration: Marketing, Operations
GRE 1: Q161 V160
GPA: 2.9
Send PM
Moderator - Masters Forum
Own Kudos [?]: 2148 [1]
Given Kudos: 276
GMAT 1: 460 Q42 V13
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Moderator - Masters Forum
Own Kudos [?]: 2148 [1]
Given Kudos: 276
GMAT 1: 460 Q42 V13
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Re: Applying for B-School//Off-beat Work Credentials [#permalink]
Kudos
veron90 wrote:
kiran120680 wrote:
veron90 wrote:
Hi,

I'm a non-engineer Indian, looking to enroll in B-School overseasand have been preparing for the GMAT(with great difficulty).

Would be extremely grateful to understand from those with experience whether my application stands a chance at a good business school :

Recent Work Experience :

04 years of working as a Naturalist/Ranger/Wildlife Guide in the wilderness of India and Nepal where I'd be guiding International guests to look for Tigers, Rhinos, Crocs, Bears, Birds and the like ; at times on foot. It was a dream job, which I did out of love for it.

Also have volunteer experience as a result of the above job in relation to community work and spreading awareness about wildlife to local tribal communities around these rural areas.

The work experience is rather a left-of-centre, but what I'd really like to know if that holds me in decent stead with a good school, or that it's a handicap considering its unconventional nature.

Work experience prior to the jungle-book lifestyle :
Sales in Marketing at 5 star hotel brands for about 3 years.

Have been looking for accurate information online, but I feel that posting it on here would be helpful as well with the insights available.

Goals : To get into a school known for Marketing/Operations or Sustainable Businesses. Clear absence of financial background hence can't aim for finance.

Happy to share more, thanks so much!

Posted from my mobile device

Hi, your profile is quite interesting. Where do you want to do an MBA? Have you taken GMAT? If yes what is the score? If no what would be the expected/targeted score?

Hi Kiran, thanks for your response.

I haven;t yet given the exam - realistic target score is around 650.

I am looking at schools in Canada - as it would only be worthwhile not to return to India.

Do you reckon better calibre schools in the USA will be interested in my application?

Thanks again,

Varun

Hi, For your expected score you have fair chances to get admission in all Canadian B-School, except Rotman all the schools GMAT average at 650 or less. McGill and Schulich will be suitable for your post-MBA goals.

For the US- You can apply to all the schools, your profile would be a good diversity mix to them. Still, some of the schools have deadlines for 2020 SEP intake, waiving the GMAT scores. The below link will help to explore.

https://poetsandquants.com/2020/03/24/t ... e=hs_email
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [0]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
veron90 wrote:
Hi,

I'm a non-engineer Indian, looking to enroll in B-School overseasand have been preparing for the GMAT(with great difficulty).

Would be extremely grateful to understand from those with experience whether my application stands a chance at a good business school :

Recent Work Experience :

04 years of working as a Naturalist/Ranger/Wildlife Guide in the wilderness of India and Nepal where I'd be guiding International guests to look for Tigers, Rhinos, Crocs, Bears, Birds and the like ; at times on foot. It was a dream job, which I did out of love for it.

Also have volunteer experience as a result of the above job in relation to community work and spreading awareness about wildlife to local tribal communities around these rural areas.

The work experience is rather a left-of-centre, but what I'd really like to know if that holds me in decent stead with a good school, or that it's a handicap considering its unconventional nature.

Have been looking for accurate information online, but I feel that posting it on here would be helpful as well with the insights available.

Goals : To get into a school known for Marketing/Operations or Sustainable Businesses. Clear absence of financial background hence can't aim for finance.

Wow this is uniquely unique. :)
First of all, check these kinks which might be helpful.
https://gmatclub.com/forum/what-are-my- ... 09854.html
https://gmatclub.com/forum/asksouvik-wh ... 9-120.html

At 30 and with Sales/Marketing background, looking into Schools for similar function would not be difficult. Since it's a unique profile, better get profile evaluated by admission experts first - a few like challenging applications. But do get done with GMAT because without that evaluations would be half-done.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi. You have a good background. The more unique the better as long as you can leverage it for the application and your story. E.g. if you were a guide and that's all you were and you were just following a route and did nothing else, then it is bad. On the other hand, if you were coming up with your own ideas, handling customers, and providing safeguards in a highly structured environment constantly keeping you on your toes, that could be a relevant business experience.

Where are you thinking of going to the bschool? India, Asia, EU, US, CA?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
lnm87 wrote:
veron90 wrote:
Hi,

Recent Work Experience :

Wow this is uniquely unique. :)

At 30 and with Sales/Marketing background, looking into Schools for similar function would not be difficult. Since it's a unique profile, better get profile evaluated by admission experts first - a few like challenging applications. But do get done with GMAT because without that evaluations would be half-done.

Thanks so much, will explore these, and your suggestion of taking it to a professional post GMAT score.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bb wrote:
Hi. You have a good background. The more unique the better as long as you can leverage it for the application and your story. E.g. if you were a guide and that's all you were and you were just following a route and did nothing else, then it is bad. On the other hand, if you were coming up with your own ideas, handling customers, and providing safeguards in a highly structured environment constantly keeping you on your toes, that could be a relevant business experience.

Where are you thinking of going to the bschool? India, Asia, EU, US, CA?

Hi BB, thanks so much.

I'm open to the best possible school I can get, based on my GMAT score + willingness of the school to accept me based on my work experience.

I am quite sure that an Indian school will not look favourably at my unconventional background to be honest, hence looking overseas.

I was handling really high-end customers - the company I was working for was Taj Group of Hotels which had a collaboration with AndBeyond Africa - it was a luxury safari lodge company.

Definitely it had its own challenges and prestige attached to it, and luckily for me it was also in difficult but interesting environments which bore risk due to the sheer nature of it - hence it taught me a lot.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
kiran120680 wrote:
veron90 wrote:
kiran120680 wrote:
veron90 wrote:
Hi,

Recent Work Experience :

Hi, your profile is quite interesting. Where do you want to do an MBA? Have you taken GMAT? If yes what is the score? If no what would be the expected/targeted score?

Hi Kiran, thanks for your response.

I haven;t yet given the exam - realistic target score is around 650.

I am looking at schools in Canada - as it would only be worthwhile not to return to India.

Do you reckon better calibre schools in the USA will be interested in my application?

Thanks again,

Varun

Hi, For your expected score you have fair chances to get admission in all Canadian B-School, except Rotman all the schools GMAT average at 650 or less. McGill and Schulich will be suitable for your post-MBA goals.

For the US- You can apply to all the schools, your profile would be a good diversity mix to them. Still, some of the schools have deadlines for 2020 SEP intake, waiving the GMAT scores. The below link will help to explore.

https://poetsandquants.com/2020/03/24/t ... e=hs_email

Hi Kiran thanks so much - a very helpful link as well!
GMAT Club Bot