It is currently 17 Aug 2017, 21:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Applying with GRE?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Applying with GRE? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2016, 16:23
Can you please share your score, Q/V split, and (if you've applied) the outcome? I'm trying to get a better understanding of what i should be targeting.

Thank you in advance!!

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 0

GRE 1: 334 Q168 V166
GPA: 3.76
WE: Research (Military & Defense)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2016, 16:41
This post received
KUDOS
Q: 168
V: 166
W: 5.0

ETS says that is the equivalent of a 760 GMAT.

Applied HBS R1, interviewed, waiting to hear (just 1 more week!)

I should probably caveat that with the fact that I took it 3 years ago when I was applying for graduate degree programs (MS in Comp Sci). I've heard anecdotally that GRE is perfectly fine if you have a good reason (eg, my previous grad school situation) but all else equal they still have a slight preference for GMAT. I very seriously considered taking it but decided to see how I did this year first. If I don't get in I'll take the GMAT and try again next year.

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 0

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 5

GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
GPA: 3.7

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2017, 20:16
simba22 wrote:
Can you please share your score, Q/V split, and (if you've applied) the outcome? I'm trying to get a better understanding of what i should be targeting.

Thank you in advance!!

Hi simba22!

When it comes to the GRE for HBS, you want to target above the 80% percentile. Surprisingly, HBS really only views GMAT/GRE scores as a necessary but not sufficient part of the application. Having a 99th percentile GRE score won't really give you any better odds than a 90th or an 85th percentile. I had a perfect GRE score and it didn't give me any special advantage in the process.

Of course at other schools like Yale SOM and Wharton where the average GMAT statistic is guarded jealously, a better score will give you a better chance of acceptance. The benefit of the GRE there is that they will be more likely to admit a lower score since it won't impact their GMAT average!

Best,
Nate

IvyAdmissionsGroup.com | Want to know your odds of admission? Get our free assessment here.

Apply to business school like you're running for office. You're the candidate. We're your campaign managers.

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 5

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
B

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 1

Schools: Harvard, Wharton, Stanford, Columbia, Chicago, MIT, NYU, Yale, +
Re: Applying with GRE? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2017, 19:04
Hi simba22!

You should aim minimally for the 80th percentile range. Above the 90th percentile is better, of course. We at MBA Admit.com have had candidates do excellently with GRE scores above the 80th percentile at schools like Harvard and Wharton. When the Harvard Business School admissions committee identifies a candidate who it feels is terrific, who demonstrates a “habit of leadership” and has amazing future potential, it is willing to be more lenient on the standardized test score. One of our recent candidates, a white American female, gained admission to HBS with a low overall standardized test score, including a low quant score. But we helped her build up all other parts of her profile and get together an outstanding application, so it worked out wonderfully for her. The interview seemed to be just a formality, as they had already seemed to have decided “yes” based on the application. (And she was a reapplicant! She was turned down the year before with the same GMAT score but a poorly put together application that we helped her to completely overhaul.)

Good luck in the admissions process and feel free to reach out to us if you need anything.

Best wishes,
Dr. Shel

From MBA Admit.com: Proudly, one of the most affordable MBA admissions consulting companies. Comprehensive service for approx. $1695-$1995 for the first application and approximately $500-900 for work on the essays of a second application. Basic editing: $985 for 1 application. Restrictions apply.

Dr. Shel Watts, the Founder of MBA Admit,.com, is a Harvard and Oxford graduate with Harvard admissions experience and over 26 years of work with MBA applicants. Clients can opt to work directly with Dr. Shel in the admissions process. http://www.mbaadmit.com

Interested in learning if we think you can be successful as an applicant to a top MBA program? Sign up for a FREE Profile Evaluation directly from Dr. Shel. Fill out the form on our homepage at http://www.mbaadmit.com

Direct email address: info@mbaadmit.com

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 1

Re: Applying with GRE?   [#permalink] 07 Jun 2017, 19:04