GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Oct 2018, 15:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Archaeologists are currently analyzing plant remains found at a site

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
V
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Archaeologists are currently analyzing plant remains found at a site  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2018, 00:07
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

54% (02:08) correct 46% (02:34) wrong based on 100 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Archaeologists are currently analyzing plant remains found at a site that was last occupied more than 10,000 years ago. If the plants were cultivated, then the people who occupied the site discovered agriculture thousands of years before any other people are known to have done so. On tbe other band, if the plants were wild - that is, uncultivated - then the people who occupied the site ate a wider variety of wild plants than did any other people at the time.

The statements above, if true, most strongly support which one of tbe following?

(A) The archaeologists analyzing tbe plant remains at the site will be able to determine whether the plants were cultivated or were wild.
(B) The people who occupied the site used some plants in ways that no other people did at that time.
(C) If the people who occupied the site had reached a more advanced stage in the use of wild plants than any other people at the time, then the plants found at tbe site were uncultivated.
(D) If the people who occupied the site discovered agriculture thousands of years before people anywhere else are known to have done so, then there are remains of cultivated plants at the site.
(E) It is more likely that the people who occupied the site discovered agriculture thousands of years before people anywhere else did than it is that they ate a wider variety of wild plants than any other people at tbe time.

Source: LSAT

Non progredi est regredi

Intern
Intern
B
Re: Archaeologists are currently analyzing plant remains found at a site  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2018, 00:42
B says some plants isn't some a little ambiguous archeologists are discovering plant remains not some plant remains. Minus the sum B would be perfect.

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
P
Schools: Rotman '20 (S)
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.76
Re: Archaeologists are currently analyzing plant remains found at a site  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2018, 07:40
karthikkaushik91 wrote:
B says some plants isn't some a little ambiguous archeologists are discovering plant remains not some plant remains. Minus the sum B would be perfect.

Posted from my mobile device

B is Fine
In Either of the results some ppl are using plants in a different way.

If the plants were cultivated, then the people who occupied the site discovered agriculture thousands of years before any other people are known to have done so.
people who occupied the site ate a wider variety of wild plants than did any other people at the time.
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V41

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2018, 13:05
Archaeologists are currently analyzing plant remains found at a site that was last occupied more than 10,000 years ago. If the plants were cultivated, then the people who occupied the site discovered agriculture thousands of years before any other people are known to have done so. On tbe other band, if the plants were wild - that is, uncultivated - then the people who occupied the site ate a wider variety of wild plants than did any other people at the time.

The statements above, if true, most strongly support which one of tbe following?

(A) The archaeologists analyzing the plant remains at the site will be able to determine whether the plants were cultivated or were wild. This information isn't stated by the passage. It just explains what could be inferred if the plants were cultivated or uncultivated.
(B) The people who occupied the site used some plants in ways that no other people did at that time. This looks good. There are two options: 1) If the plants were cultivated, the residents used agriculture when noone else did. 2) If the plants were uncultivated, the local people ate a bigger variety of plants than anyone else. Either way, they did something unique at this time.
(C) If the people who occupied the site had reached a more advanced stage in the use of wild plants than any other people at the time, then the plants found at tbe site were uncultivated. This might look tempting, but it twists the original logic. The passage states: If the site were uncultivated, the people ate a wider variety of wild plants. The problem is that we can't be sure that the opposite reasoning is true. What if the people there ate a bigger variety of wild plants but still cultivated their fields?
(D) If the people who occupied the site discovered agriculture thousands of years before people anywhere else are known to have done so, then there are remains of cultivated plants at the site.The reasoning is the same as in C) and hence faulty.
(E) It is more likely that the people who occupied the site discovered agriculture thousands of years before people anywhere else did than it is that they ate a wider variety of wild plants than any other people at tbe time. The passage doesn't mention any likelinesses, therefore we can't infer anything about probabilities.

I hope that helps :-)

My goal: 700 GMAT score - REACHED :-) | My debrief - first attempt 710 (Q44,V41,IR7)

If I could help you with my answer, consider giving me Kudos

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Archaeologists are currently analyzing plant remains found at a site &nbs [#permalink] 02 Apr 2018, 13:05

Archaeologists are currently analyzing plant remains found at a site

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap