Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:09 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 655-705 Levelx   Idioms/Diction/Redundancyx   Subject Verb Agreementx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3902 [529]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8553 [169]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30776 [26]
Given Kudos: 634
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [16]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: A report by the American Academy for the Advancement of Science has co [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
alimad wrote:
A report by the American Academy for the Advancement of Science has concluded that much of the currently uncontrolled dioxins to which North Americans are exposed comes from the incineration of wastes.

(A) much of the currently uncontrolled dioxins to which North Americans are exposed comes

(B) much of the currently uncontrolled dioxins that North Americans are exposed to come

(C) much of the dioxins that are currently uncontrolled and that North Americans are exposed to comes

(D) many of the dioxins that are currently uncontrolled and North Americans are exposed to come

(E) many of the currently uncontrolled dioxins to which North Americans are exposed come

Concepts tested here: Subject-verb Agreement + Idioms + Redundancy/Awkwardness

A: Trap. This answer choice incorrectly uses the singular verb “comes” to refer to the plural noun “dioxins”. Further, Option A incorrectly uses the term “much” to refer to the countable noun “dioxins”; for a noun such as “dioxins”, the appropriate equivalent term is “many”.

B: Trap. This answer choice incorrectly uses the term “much” to refer to the countable noun “dioxins”; for a noun such as “dioxins”, the appropriate equivalent term is “many”.

C: This answer choice incorrectly uses the singular verb “comes” to refer to the plural noun “dioxins”. Further, Option C incorrectly uses the term “much” to refer to the countable noun “dioxins”; for a noun such as “dioxins”, the appropriate equivalent term is “many”. Additionally, Option C uses the needlessly wordy phrase “dioxins that are currently uncontrolled”, rendering it awkward and needlessly indirect.

D: This answer choice uses the needlessly wordy phrase “dioxins that are currently uncontrolled”, rendering it awkward and needlessly indirect.

E: Correct. This answer choice correctly uses the plural verb “come” to refer to the plural verb “dioxins”. Further, Option C correctly uses the term “many” to refer to the countable noun “dioxins”. Additionally, Option E is free of all awkwardness and redundancy.

Hence, E is the best answer choice.

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64883 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: A report by the American Academy for the Advancement of Science has co [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
alimad wrote:
A report by the American Academy for the Advancement of Science has concluded that much of the currently uncontrolled dioxins to which North Americans are exposed comes from the incineration of wastes.

(A) much of the currently uncontrolled dioxins to which North Americans are exposed comes

(B) much of the currently uncontrolled dioxins that North Americans are exposed to come

(C) much of the dioxins that are currently uncontrolled and that North Americans are exposed to comes

(D) many of the dioxins that are currently uncontrolled and North Americans are exposed to come

(E) many of the currently uncontrolled dioxins to which North Americans are exposed come

The Official Guide for GMAT Review, 10th Edition, 2003

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 34
Page: 658

https://www.nytimes.com/1986/05/30/business/hazard-of-dioxins-assailed-in-study.html

Much of the dioxins and furans to which Americans are exposed come from the burning of municipal and industrial wastes, according to the paper, which was written by Barry Commoner, director of the Queens College center, along with Thomas Webster and Karen Shapiro.

When to use a much v/s many. and should it be "exposed to" or just "exposed" ? A better explanation instead of just an answer letter would be preferred. Thanks

The sentence tells us that a report has concluded that much/many of the dioxins to which North Americans are exposed come from incineration of wastes. Also, that currently these dioxins are uncontrolled (unregulated).
We only need to focus on the noun clause beginning with ‘that’.

Since ‘dioxins’ is plural, we should use ‘many’.
…many of the currently uncontrolled dioxins … or … many of the dioxins …
Hence, options (A), (B) and (C) are not correct.

Since the subject is ‘many of the dioxins’ (plural), the verb should be ‘come,’ not ‘comes.’ Hence, options (A) and (C) are incorrect.

The relative clause beginning with ‘that’ gives us two additional data points about ‘many of the dioxins’ – they are currently uncontrolled and many Americans are exposed to them.
If the two points are joined together with an ‘and,’ we need to put them in a parallel structure or at least as parallel as possible.

For example, the following work:
… many of the dioxins that are currently uncontrolled and quite dangerous come from ….
…many of the dioxins that are currently uncontrolled and are quite dangerous come from...
They both explain two features of these dioxins.

However,
…many of the dioxins that are currently uncontrolled and that are quite dangerous come from...
This is grammatically correct but here we are wondering whether we are talking about the same dioxins or two different types of dioxins – one that are currently uncontrolled and the other that are quite dangerous. Since ‘and’ is conjunctive (discussed in the module in ‘Connectors’ section), we are likely talking about the same dioxins and hence this could work too.

Now, let’s look at option (D):

…many of the dioxins that are currently uncontrolled and North Americans are exposed to come from…
Here, we do not have parallel elements. The first underlined is ‘verb + modifier’ (‘many of the dioxins’ is the subject) and the second is ‘subject + verb + preposition’ (‘many of the dioxins’ is the object). Hence, we certainly need two separate that clauses.
…many of the dioxins that are currently uncontrolled and that North Americans are exposed to come from…
Here we can say that the two ‘that’ clauses modify ‘many of the dioxins.’
Hence, as given, option (D) is not correct.

Option (E) is correct. Here, ‘currently uncontrolled’ pre-modifies dioxins so the issue of parallelism disappears. Also, the preposition ‘to’ is placed before ‘which’ making it more formal.

Answer (E)
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 679 [14]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
many is used for countable nouns

much is used for uncountable nouns

dioxins i think should be categorized as countable, hence i will eliminate answers with 'much' leaving me with D & E, between whom E is the better choice.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [10]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
alimad wrote:
27. A report by the American Academy for the Advancement of Science has concluded that much of the currently uncontrolled dioxins to which North Americans are exposed comes from the incineration of wastes.

When to use a much v/s many. and should it be "exposed to" or just "exposed" ? A better explaination instead of just an answer letter would be preferred. Thanks

This is an easy one. There are 2 mistakes in the original question -
1. use of much or many. Dioxins are countable like carbon dioxide, sulphur dioxide, etc. Therefore it should be many rather than much.

2. come/comes - Since it is plural is is come rather than comes.

Hence Answer is E.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 322 [7]
Send PM
Kudos
Well competition is between B and E. Now who knows whether dioxins are countable or not.
So, I would look into the context of the sentence to see what makes sense!

Here the sentence clearly suggesting the count of dioxins not the amount of it/them. So 'many' would make more sense.
E.

(E) A report by the American Academy for the Advancement of Science has concluded that many of the currently uncontrolled dioxins to which North Americans are exposed come the incineration of wastes.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1850 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 2: 670
Send PM
I need help to understand why D is wrong...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [9]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
 Q44  V40
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
bigfernhead wrote:
I need help to understand why D is wrong...

many of the dioxins that are currently uncontrolled and North Americans are exposed to come

North americans are exposed -> to what? This is not clear, because North americans are exposed to is an independent clause.
Option E corrects this by clearly eliminating the independent clause and bringing in the infinitive and the pronoun.

Also dioxins that are uncontrolled is wordy as compared to 'uncontrolled dioxins'.

Hope this helps,
-pradeep

Originally posted by pleonasm on 22 Mar 2009, 20:15.
Last edited by pleonasm on 23 Mar 2009, 07:37, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 333 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM