Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 21:06 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619047 [68]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619047 [8]
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619047 [9]
Send PM
General Discussion
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619047 [5]
Send PM
Re: INSCRIBED AND CIRCUMSCRIBED POLYGONS ON THE GMAT [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply

CIRCLES AND INSCRIBED REGULAR POLYGON RELATIONS

By Karishma, Veritas Prep.

Let’s figure out the relations between the sides of various inscribed regular polygons and the radius of the circle.

We will start with the simplest regular polygon – an equilateral triangle. We will use what we already know about triangles to arrive at the required relations.

Look at the figure given below. AB, BC and AC are sides (of length ‘a’) of the equilateral triangle. OA, OB and OC are radii (of length ‘r’) of the circle.

The interior angles of an equilateral triangle are 60 degrees each. Therefore, angle OBD is 30 degrees (since ABC is an equilateral triangle, BO will bisect angle ABD). So, triangle BOD is a 30-60-90 triangle.

As discussed in your geometry book, the ratio of sides in a 30-60-90 triangle is \(1:\sqrt{3}:2\) therefore, a/2 : r = \(\sqrt{3}:2\) or \(a:r = \sqrt{3}:1\)

Side of the triangle = \(\sqrt{3}\) * Radius of the circle

You don’t have to learn up this result. You can derive it if needed. Note that you can derive it using many other methods. Another method that easily comes to mind is using the altitude AD. Altitude AD of an equilateral triangle is given by \(\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}*a\). The circum center is at a distance 2/3rd of the altitude so AO (radius) = \((\frac{2}{3})*\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}*a = \frac{a}{\sqrt{3}}\)

Or side of the triangle = \(\sqrt{3}\) * radius of the circle

Let’s look at a square now.

AB is the side of the square and AO and BO are the radii of the circle. Each interior angle of a square is 90 degrees so half of that angle will be 45 degrees. Therefore, ABO is a 45-45-90 triangle. We know that the ratio of sides in a 45-45-90 triangle is \(1:1:\sqrt{2}\).

\(r:a = 1: \sqrt{2}\)

Side of the square = \(\sqrt{2}\)*Radius of the circle

Again, no need to learn up the result. Also, there are many methods of arriving at the relation. Another one is using the diagonal of the square. The diagonal of a square is \(\sqrt{2}\) times the side of the square. The radius of the circle is half the diagonal. So the side is the square is \(\sqrt{2}\)*radius of the circle.

The case of a pentagon is more complicated since it needs the working knowledge of trigonometry which is beyond GMAT scope so we will not delve into it.

We will look at a hexagon though.

Notice that the interior angle of a regular hexagon is 120 degrees so half of that will be 60 degrees. Therefore, both angles OAB and OBA will be 60 degrees each. This means that triangle OAB is an equilateral triangle with all angles 60 degrees and all sides equal. Hence,

Side of the regular hexagon = Radius of the circle.

The higher order regular polygons and more complicated and we will not take them up. We will discuss a circle inscribed in a polygon in the next post.

Attachment:
GeometryPost9Fig1.jpg
GeometryPost9Fig1.jpg [ 11.52 KiB | Viewed 86428 times ]

Attachment:
GeometryPost9Fig2.jpg
GeometryPost9Fig2.jpg [ 9.48 KiB | Viewed 86331 times ]

Attachment:
GeometryPost9Fig31.jpg
GeometryPost9Fig31.jpg [ 9.83 KiB | Viewed 86233 times ]
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619047 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply

AND NOW THE OTHER WAY

In this post will work with circles inscribed in regular polygons.

We begin by considering an equilateral triangle whose each side is of length ‘a’. Recall that every triangle has an incircle i.e. a circle can be inscribed in every triangle. The diagram given below shows the circle of radius ‘r’ inscribed in an equilateral triangle.

How can we find the relation between ‘r’ and ‘a’? Every angle of an equilateral triangle is 60 degrees. Since it is an equilateral triangle, due to the symmetry, angle OBD = angle OBA = 30 degrees. So we see that triangle BOD is a 30-60-90 triangle. So the ratio of the sides OD:BD:OB = \(1: \sqrt{3} = r : \frac{a}{2}\).

Therefore, \(a = 2\sqrt{3} * r\)

Side of the triangle = \(2\sqrt{3}\) * Radius of the circle

As discussed last week, there are many other methods of getting this result. We can use the altitude method.

Altitude of an equilateral triangle is given by \(\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}*a\). The incenter is at a distance 2/3rd of the altitude so OD (radius) = \((\frac{1}{3})*\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}*a = \frac{a}{2\sqrt{3}}\)

Or Side of the triangle = \(2\sqrt{3}\) * Radius of the circle

Now we will look at a square.

The figure itself shows us that r = a/2

Side of the square = 2 * Radius of the circle

There is no need to delve deeper into it. Though, here is something for you to think about: Can you have a circle inscribed in a rectangle?

Now let’s consider a circle inscribed in a regular hexagon.

We know that the interior angle of a regular hexagon is 120 degrees. OA will bisect that angle making angle OAD = 60 degrees. Since AB is tangent to the circle, OD will be perpendicular to AB. Hence OAD is a 30-60-90 triangle. Therefore, \(\frac{a}{2} : r = 1: \sqrt{3}\)

Hence, \(a = \frac{2r}{\sqrt{3}}\)

Side of the hexagon = \(\frac{2}{\sqrt{3}}\) * Radius of the circle

Again, remember, you are not expected to ‘know’ these results so don’t try to learn them up. You can always derive any relation you want once you know some basic tricks. The intent of these posts is to familiarize you with those tricks.

In the next post, we will look at some interesting Geometry questions based on these concepts!

Attachment:
GeometryPost10Fig1.jpg
GeometryPost10Fig1.jpg [ 8.38 KiB | Viewed 86173 times ]

Attachment:
GeometryPost10Fig2.jpg
GeometryPost10Fig2.jpg [ 6.98 KiB | Viewed 86099 times ]

Attachment:
GeometryPost10Fig3.jpg
GeometryPost10Fig3.jpg [ 9.3 KiB | Viewed 86031 times ]
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619047 [5]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply

QUESTIUONS ON POLYGONS INSCRIBED IN CIRCLES

In this post, I have two questions for you – both on polygons inscribed in a circle. You must go through the previous post based on this topic before trying these questions.

Question 1: Four points that form a polygon lie on the circumference of the circle. What is the area of the polygon ABCD?
Statement I: The radius of the circle is 3 cm.
Statement II: ABCD is square.

Solution:
Notice that you have been given that angles B and D are right angles. Does that imply that the polygon is a square? No. You haven’t been given that the polygon is a regular polygon. The diagonal AC is the diameter since arc ADC subtends a right angle ABC. Hence arc ADC and arc ABC are semi-circles. But the sides of the polygon (AB, BC, CD, DA) may not be equal. Look at the diagram given below:

Statement I: The radius of the circle is 3 cm.
This statement alone is not sufficient. Look at the two figures given above. The area in the two cases will be different depending on the length of the sides. Just knowing the diagonal AC is not enough. Hence this statement alone is not sufficient.

Statement II: ABCD is square.
This tells us that the first figure is valid i.e. the polygon is actually a square. But this statement alone doesn’t give us the measure of any side/diagonal. Hence this statement alone is not sufficient.

Using both statements together, we know that ABCD is a square with a diagonal of length 6 cm. This means that the side of the square is \(\frac{6}{\sqrt{2}}\) cm giving us an area of \((\frac{6}{\sqrt{2}})^2 = 18\) cm^2.

Answer (C). This question is discussed HERE.

Let’s look at a more complicated question now.

Question 2: A regular polygon is inscribed in a circle. How many sides does the polygon have?
Statement I: The length of the diagonal of the polygon is equal to the length of the diameter of the circle.
Statement II: The ratio of area of the polygon to the area of the circle is less than 2:3.

Solution:
In this question, we know that the polygon is a regular polygon i.e. all sides are equal in length. As the number of sides keeps increasing, the area of the circle enclosed in the regular polygon keeps increasing till the number of sides is infinite (i.e. we get a circle) and it overlaps with the original circle. The diagram given below will make this clearer.

Let’s look at each statement:

Statement I: The length of one of the diagonals of the polygon is equal to the length of the diameter of the circle.
Do we get the number of sides of the polygon using this statement? No. The diagram below tells you why.

Regular polygons with even number of sides will be symmetrical around their middle diagonal and hence the diagonal will be the diameter. Hence the polygon could have 4/6/8/10 etc sides. Hence this statement alone is not sufficient.

Statement II: The ratio of area of the polygon to the area of the circle is less than 2:3.

Let’s find the fraction of area enclosed by a square.

In the previous post we saw that
Side of the square = \(\sqrt{2}\) * Radius of the circle
Area of the square = \(Side^2 = 2*Radius^2\)
Area of the circle = \(\pi*Radius^2 = 3.14*Radius^2\)
Ratio of area of the square to area of the circle is 2/3.14 i.e. slightly less than 2/3.

So a square encloses less than 2/3 of the area of the circle. This means a triangle will enclose even less area. Hence, we see that already the number of sides of the regular polygon could be 3 or 4. Hence this statement alone is not sufficient.

Using both statements together, we see that the polygon has 4/6/8 etc sides but the area enclosed should be less than 2/3 of the area of the circle. Hence the regular polygon must have 4 sides. Since the area of a square is a little less than 2/3rd the area of the circle, we can say with fair amount of certainty that the area of a regular hexagon will be more than 2/3rd the area of the circle. But just to be sure, you can do this:

Side of the regular hexagon = Radius of the circle

Area of a regular hexagon = 6*Area of each of the 6 equilateral triangles = \(6*(\frac{\sqrt{3}}{4})*Radius^2 = 2.6*Radius^2\)

2.6/3.14 is certainly more than 2/3 so the regular polygon cannot be a hexagon. The regular polygon must have 4 sides only.

Answer (C). This question is discussed HERE.

Attachment:
GeometryPost11Fig1.jpg
GeometryPost11Fig1.jpg [ 9.37 KiB | Viewed 85914 times ]

Attachment:
GeometryPost11Fig21.jpg
GeometryPost11Fig21.jpg [ 10.91 KiB | Viewed 85908 times ]

Attachment:
GeometryPost11Fig3.jpg
GeometryPost11Fig3.jpg [ 45.13 KiB | Viewed 93748 times ]

Attachment:
GeometryPost11Fig4.jpg
GeometryPost11Fig4.jpg [ 17.08 KiB | Viewed 93707 times ]
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619047 [0]
Send PM
INSCRIBED AND CIRCUMSCRIBED POLYGONS ON THE GMAT [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619047 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
PLEASE POST QUESTIONS/DOUBTS REGRADING THE QUESTIONS DISCUSSED ABOVE IN THEIR RESPECTIVE TOPICS.
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1239 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
INSCRIBED AND CIRCUMSCRIBED POLYGONS ON THE GMAT [#permalink]
Bunuel niks18 generis pushpitkc
KarishmaB chetan2u

My query is regarding: finding radius of a circle using side (a) of an equilateral triangle,
which is inscribed in a circle.

Since triangle is inscribed in a circle, all vertices of triangle must lie on circle.
The side of the equilateral triangle can not be diameter of the circle since, if I
use rule: angle subtended by the longest chord (ie diameter) one of angle of triangle
becomes 90 and stands invalid for equilateral triangle.

In theory explained in this post, did we purposely drew a perpendicular from A to BC ?
We can not have any estimate about angle BOC. Let me know if my understanding is correct
about how we formed 30-60-90 for triangle BOC.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619047 [2]
Send PM
Kudos