Last visit was: 22 Jul 2024, 23:29 It is currently 22 Jul 2024, 23:29
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Jamboree GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Jamboree Education Pvt Ltd
Own Kudos [?]: 658 [15]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 34541 [4]
Given Kudos: 323
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42142 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Re: Art is a visual way for some people to reflect upon what is going on i [#permalink]
Hey daagh,

I always read your comments, however I think this time around you are missing something. In my view, the question boils down to D and E, where D is obviously wrong. Why those two? Because art allows somebody something, eg "art allows people to express their feelings" and not "art allows a way/another way to X" - it just sounds awful, imho.

This is why I'll go with E.

Best,
Jay
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Art is a visual way for some people to reflect upon what is going on i [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
I agree with E. The parallel structure is "some people to reflect, while... others ...to see". It is also interesting to consider whether "while" or "and" is correct here. You can ask yourself if there is a contrast present in the sentence. If there is, choose "while". The contrast is between "some people" and "others". Therefore, "while" is correct. It will be helpful in many sentences to consider this issue. It’s a fast way to get to the right answer.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
this question is faulty and following is the reasoning :"COMMA+WHILE+ALLOWING" is a typical construction of VERBLESS clause and hence it will take the preceding noun "cultural and natural environment" as its subject ,thereby giving the following interpretation:
Art is a visual way for some people to reflect upon what is going on in their cultural and natural environment, while [cultural and natural environment is] allowing others a way to see how people perceive their natural world
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4743 [0]
Given Kudos: 666
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
aditya8062 wrote:
it will take the preceding noun "cultural and natural environment" as its subject
That's probably not the correct way of looking at it. For example:

She decided to start working on her applications, while continuing to study for the GMAT.

This sentence does not imply that her applications will continue to study for the GMAT.
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 34541 [1]
Given Kudos: 323
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
aditya8062 wrote:
this question is faulty and following is the reasoning :"COMMA+WHILE+ALLOWING" is a typical construction of VERBLESS clause and hence it will take the preceding noun "cultural and natural environment" as its subject ,thereby giving the following interpretation:
Art is a visual way for some people to reflect upon what is going on in their cultural and natural environment, while [cultural and natural environment is] allowing others a way to see how people perceive their natural world

Hi,
'while' at most of the times talks of something happening at the same time some other event is happening parallely...
x country is busy looking into its own interests, while all other nations are working closely towards a united goal..
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Art is a visual way for some people to reflect upon what is going on i [#permalink]
Quote:
That's probably not the correct way of looking at it. For example:

She decided to start working on her applications, while continuing to study for the GMAT.

This sentence does not imply that her applications will continue to study for the GMAT.

i think you did not get my intent. the VERBLESS CLAUSE takes the eligible noun or noun phrase as its subject. the sentence that you have created has the problem that i have stated in my previous post .
NOTE THAT :while [cultural and natural environment is] allowing others a way to see how people perceive their natural world----->CAN MAKE SENSE !!

it is precisely for this reason that following will be incorrect: I saw my friend fall while running through the town
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Expert Reply
aditya8062 wrote:
i think you did not get my intent. the VERBLESS CLAUSE takes the eligible noun or noun phrase as its subject. the sentence that you have created has the problem that i have stated in my previous post .
NOTE THAT :while [cultural and natural environment is] allowing others a way to see how people perceive their natural world----->CAN MAKE SENSE !!

it is precisely for this reason that following will be incorrect: I saw my friend fall while running through the town
The example you've taken is ambiguous, but not incorrect. More importantly though, its structure is quite different from the one used in the other sentences in this thread (you've added the word fall, which creates something that the while could refer to).

This sentence is perfectly fine. Perhaps you should just "whitelist" it? You could also come up with many examples on your own, because this structure is very common.

She had a cup of coffee while checking her email.

Again, it's perfectly clear that the coffee was not checking her email.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Quote:
The example you've taken is ambiguous, but not incorrect.

firstly anything that is ambiguous IS INCORRECT on GMAT.

Also kindly NOTE the ambiguity in the concerned question that i have pointed out in my previous posts . BTW all the example that you have put are not really referring to the issue. i have clearly pointed out the ambiguous meaning in the original question.

Secondly it would be of some help if you could put some OFFICIAL questions that refute my claim
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Expert Reply
aditya8062 wrote:
firstly anything that is ambiguous IS INCORRECT on GMAT.
I don't think it's quite as straightforward as that, and I'd urge you to adopt a less absolute position on ambiguity.

aditya8062 wrote:
Also kindly NOTE the ambiguity in the concerned question that i have pointed out in my previous posts . BTW all the example that you have put are not really referring to the issue. i have clearly pointed out the ambiguous meaning in the original question.
I'm not as concerned about the question as I am about the "rule" you've applied. To be clear, it is not applicable to either the correct option or the other examples. The while clause is adverbial in nature and does not give us information about what the cultural and natural environment allows.

If we really want to look for ambiguity, we can find it elsewhere (the while could be referring to when "some people... reflect", though the comma helps to reduce the probability that the sentence will be interpreted that way).

aditya8062 wrote:
Secondly it would be of some help if you could put some OFFICIAL questions that refute my claim
This depends entirely on what you're looking for. If you're looking for the structure, you can find it in the recently implemented “shift-work equations” have reduced A, B, and C while raising X question.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Quote:
I don't think it's quite as straightforward as that, and I'd urge you to adopt a less absolute position on ambiguity.

Ambiguity might not be a problem in exams that are conducted in india but it is (accept it or not) a BIG problem in GMAC !!

Quote:
To be clear, it is not applicable to either the correct option

which correct option are you citing?

Quote:
The while clause is adverbial in nature

well in that case it is more of a problem .in that case it is going to modify the previous clause : "what is going on in their cultural and natural environment"

Quote:
you can find it in the recently implemented “shift-work equations” have reduced A, B, and C while raising X question.

is this some official question?

ALSO note that VERBLESS clause has lot of nuances ,for instance "COMMA+VERBLESS" clause behaves differently from "NO COMMA+VERBLESS"clause
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Expert Reply
aditya8062 wrote:
is this some official question?
Yes, it is the correct answer to an official question.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Art is a visual way for some people to reflect upon what is going on i [#permalink]
ahh !! this is typical of "NO COMMA+VERBLESS" clause, unlike the question that you have posted

C (in official question) says: Recently implemented "shift-work equations" based on studies of the human sleep cycle have reduced sickness, sleeping on the job and fatigue among shift workers while raising production efficiency in various industries.

NOTE that : in NO COMMA+ VERBLESS clause, as is in above mentioned option C, the verbless clause takes the SUBJECT of the previous clause as its subject (PLUS there is no ELIGIBLE noun other than "Recently implemented "shift-work equations" in previous clause)

the implied meaning of option C is : Recently implemented "shift-work equations" based on studies of the human sleep cycle have reduced sickness, sleeping on the job and fatigue among shift workers while[Recently implemented "shift-work equations" are] raising production efficiency in various industries

the question that you have created is typical of "COMMA+ VERBLESS CLAUSE"; in such construction the "verbless clause" takes the preceding NOUN or NOUN PHRASE as its subject

ALSO note that WHILE is a beautiful word : it can introduce "simultaneity" and "CONTRAST". again the usage of "COMMA" makes a huge difference !!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Expert Reply
aditya8062 wrote:
the question that you have created is typical of "COMMA+ VERBLESS CLAUSE"; in such construction the "verbless clause" takes the preceding NOUN or NOUN PHRASE as its subject
No. Again, there is no way that the while clause will give us information about what the cultural and natural environment allows.

Adding or removing the comma does not suddenly change the meaning of the sentence I put up either (She decided to start working on her applications, while continuing to study for the GMAT). The while clause doesn't tell us something about applications if we keep the comma there. And in the question Aryama posted, the comma actually adds clarity to the sentence (it is a much longer sentence than mine).
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Quote:
No. Again, there is no way that the while clause will give us information about what the cultural and natural environment allows.

i have already cited that if this construction is ADVERBIAL (as proclaimed by you) then it is going to modify the previous clause : "what is going on in their cultural and natural environment"

Quote:
She decided to start working on her applications, while continuing to study for the GMAT

now this sentence becomes wrong . although it becomes WRONG for some other reason and NOT for the reason that i have cited earlier in the post

ALSO please cite official problems as that may add some values to this discussion
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1192 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
still no answer how to solve the ambiguity with the pronoun in the end.

how people perceive their world, or perceive the world of another? I eliminated right away C, D, and E because of this ambiguity.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
A) and allows a way to see how people perceive their natural world
B) while allowing a way to see how people perceive their natural world
C) while allowing another way to see how people perceive their natural world
D) and allows others a way for seeing how people perceive their natural world
E) while allowing others a way to see how people perceive their natural world

Parallelism
some X, others Y
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
A) and allows a way to see how people perceive their natural world
B) while allowing a way to see how people perceive their natural world
C) while allowing another way to see how people perceive their natural world
D) and allows others a way for seeing how people perceive their natural world
E) while allowing others a way to see how people perceive their natural world

Parallelism
some X, others Y
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6991 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
236 posts