GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Nov 2019, 05:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

As a baby emerges from the darkness of the womb with a rudimentary sen

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
As a baby emerges from the darkness of the womb with a rudimentary sen  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2019, 12:44
a12bansal wrote:
Hi GMATNinja, daagh , AjiteshArun

Can you please tell me how the below is independent clause in D.

"an adult with such vision would be deemed legally blind."

I ignored it as independent clause because of "Such Vision" .

I am just a beginner. Looking for your help.

Thanks

Hi GMATNinja, daagh

I am not sure if you missed my post. I am just bumping the thread, in case you did not notice.

Thanks for your help.
Abhishek
CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
As a baby emerges from the darkness of the womb with a rudimentary sen  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2019, 18:58
a12bansal wrote:
Hi GMATNinja, daagh , AjiteshArun

Can you please tell me how the below is independent clause in D.

"an adult with such vision would be deemed legally blind."

I ignored it as independent clause because of "Such Vision" .

I am just a beginner. Looking for your help.

Thanks
Hi a12bansal,

The whole with such vision is a modifier (prepositional phrase, adjective for an adult). The such vision (noun phrase) is part of that modifier.

An adult with such vision would be deemed legally blind.

Let's cut this sentence down to:

An adult would be deemed legally blind.

Here it is slightly easier to see that an adult is the subject, and would be deemed is the verb. Now, the sentence is not trying to tell us that every adult would be deemed legally blind. That is where the with such vision comes in: only "an adult with such vision" would be deemed legally blind.
B
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V33
Re: As a baby emerges from the darkness of the womb with a rudimentary sen  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2019, 23:46
souvik101990 wrote:
As a baby emerges from the darkness of the womb with a rudimentary sense of vision, it would be rated about 20/500, or legally blind if it were an adult with such vision.

(A) As a baby emerges from the darkness of the womb with a rudimentary sense of vision, it would be rated about 20/500, or legally blind if it were an adult with such vision.

(B) A baby emerges from the darkness of the womb with a rudimentary sense of vision that would be rated about 20/500, or legally blind as an adult.

(C) As a baby emerges from the darkness of the womb, its rudimentary sense of vision would be rated about 20/500; qualifying it to be legally blind if an adult.

(D) A baby emerges from the darkness of the womb with a rudimentary sense of vision that would be rated about 20/500; an adult with such vision would be deemed legally blind.

(E) As a baby emerges from the darkness of the womb, its rudimentary sense of vision, which would be deemed legally blind for an adult, would be rated about 20/500.

Spoiler: :: ARTICLE
August 15, 1983 | Vol. 122 No. 7

http://content.time.com/time/subscriber/article/0,33009,949745-4,00.html

The baby emerges from the darkness of the womb with a rudimentary sense of vision — it would be rated about 20/500, or "legally blind," as one expert puts it, but eyesight develops rapidly. Newborns start by looking at the edges of things, exploring. Even when the lights are turned out, as infra-red cameras show, an infant's eyes open wide to carry on its investigation of its surroundings. At eight weeks, it can differentiate between shapes of objects as well as colors (generally preferring red, then blue); at three months, it begins to develop stereoscopic vision.

A. baby could not be rated 20/500 :-). It has to be vision. It is not clear what it is referring to. , or legally blind.....is not parallel... it would be rated 20/500 or legally blind. Moreover comma is not required.
B. vision that would be rated about 20/500 is ok...but after or ...legally blind is incorrect. Not parallel. vision cannot be blind....
C. qualifying it to be legally blind if an adult doesn't have any verb.
D. seems correct.
E. which would be deemed legally blind...which here refers to vision...incorrect.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: As a baby emerges from the darkness of the womb with a rudimentary sen   [#permalink] 20 Aug 2019, 23:46

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 43 posts ] 

As a baby emerges from the darkness of the womb with a rudimentary sen

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics