GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 12 Dec 2019, 17:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

As a baby emerges from the darkness of the womb with a rudimentary sen

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
Re: As a baby emerges from the darkness of the womb with a rudimentary sen  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2018, 23:52
Why is the usage of 'would be ' correct over here? shouldn't it be 'is rated'?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
D
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: As a baby emerges from the darkness of the womb with a rudimentary sen  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2018, 17:18
anchitahuja wrote:
Why is the usage of 'would be ' correct over here? shouldn't it be 'is rated'?

In order to say a baby's sight "is rated about 20/500", somebody would actually have to rate the baby's eyesight "when it emerges from the darkness of the womb." And while maybe that could happen using some sort of interesting technology, it seems unlikely that a baby would willingly participate in an eye test as soon as it's born.

Since the actual act of rating the baby's eyesight might not actually happen, it makes sense to use the conditional "would": if somebody were to rate the baby's eyesight as soon as it's born, it would rate about 20/500.

I hope this helps!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: all videos by topic

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 590 Q45 V26
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2018, 07:40
Dear All

While D is the correct answer, please can you help me understand the phrase after the semi colon.

Reason am asking is that I understand semi colon should have independent clauses before and after and within D, after colon, an adult such vision .... isn't such vision something unclear or does not have precedent , hence fragment or incorrect sentence.

(D) A baby emerges from the darkness of the womb with a rudimentary sense of vision that would be rated about 20/500; an adult with such vision would be deemed legally blind.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
D

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2018, 22:17
proabhinav wrote:
Dear All

While D is the correct answer, please can you help me understand the phrase after the semi colon.

Reason am asking is that I understand semi colon should have independent clauses before and after and within D, after colon, an adult such vision .... isn't such vision something unclear or does not have precedent , hence fragment or incorrect sentence.

(D) A baby emerges from the darkness of the womb with a rudimentary sense of vision that would be rated about 20/500; an adult with such vision would be deemed legally blind.

An independent clause must be able to stand on its own grammatically. It doesn't mean that you can't refer to another clause to understand it.

Think of the way you learned to structure a paragraph when you were introduced to formal essay-writing in school. The first sentence introduces an idea. The next one elaborates on this idea, or provides an example to illustrate it. It may well be the case that the second sentence doesn't make sense without the first, but that doesn't mean that there's a grammatical error in it!

Similarly, we'll often use a pronoun in one clause to refer to an antecedent in another. You can basically think about the usage of "such vision" that way - it refers to "20/500," and that's perfectly fine.

I hope that helps!

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2018, 22:34
Option A: "As a baby emerges from the darkness of the womb with a rudimentary sense of vision, it would be rated about 20/500, or legally blind if it were an adult with such vision"

I was confused between A and D. I somehow felt that there is a meaning change in option D and chose the wrong answer A.

Is the ambiguous usage of "it" the only mistake in option A?

Please clarify.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
D

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2018, 01:10
SUPMUN wrote:
Option A: "As a baby emerges from the darkness of the womb with a rudimentary sense of vision, it would be rated about 20/500, or legally blind if it were an adult with such vision"

I was confused between A and D. I somehow felt that there is a meaning change in option D and chose the wrong answer A.

Is the ambiguous usage of "it" the only mistake in option A?

Please clarify.

The usage of "it" is worse than ambiguous in (A). Because "it" is the subject of a clause and "a baby" is the subject of the previous clause, it seems as though "it" is referring to "a baby." Rating a baby 20/500 isn't just nonsensical, it's downright mean. (On a good day, my baby would rate at least a 120 on a 500 point scale.)

Worse still, the clause "if it were an adult with such vision" suggests that a baby could be an adult! I would not want to live in such a world. And neither would that man-baby's poor mother... :oops:

Intern
Intern
B
Schools: IIMA PGPX"20 (D)
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V30
GMAT 2: 540 Q42 V22
GPA: 3.7

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2018, 21:42
GMATNinja, egmat,

Thanks for clarifications. My answer choice D is correct at first place. However I have 2 questions :
Q1 : I can see it is mentioned that 'it' can refer to baby. Can 'it' pronoun refer to 'baby' which is human and not things ?
Q2 : In answer choice D, 'with' is modifying 'womb' or 'baby' ? I understand GMAT does not prefer sentences which use 'with'.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
D

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2018, 10:19
NAvinash wrote:
GMATNinja, egmat,

Thanks for clarifications. My answer choice D is correct at first place. However I have 2 questions :
Q1 : I can see it is mentioned that 'it' can refer to baby. Can 'it' pronoun refer to 'baby' which is human and not things ?
Q2 : In answer choice D, 'with' is modifying 'womb' or 'baby' ? I understand GMAT does not prefer sentences which use 'with'.

Excellent questions!

In fact, question 1 is so good, I don't think it has a definitive answer. Surely, it's okay to exclaim, "It's a girl!" when a baby is born. And if someone knocks at your door, there's no problem asking "who is it?" But if your baby were throwing a tantrum on a plane, and someone else asked you to "feed it or something" the "it" seems inappropriate.

For what it's worth, I can't recall having seen an OA in which "it" referred to a person. So I'd be very surprised if "it" is ever used to refer to a person in a correct answer, but I can't say that with 100% certainty that it's absolutely WRONG, especially if "it" refers to "a baby" and we don't know its gender. But I wouldn't worry about this issue at all, since you will probably never see it as the deciding factor on an official question.

As for question 2, wouldn't it be nice if we could just memorize a list of prepositions the GMAT didn't like and then robotically eliminate those answer choices whenever we encountered such words? Sadly, the GMAT is going to force us to think, and we'll have to use a bit of logic to determine if a given construction is acceptable. In this case "with a rudimentary sense of vision" seems to be modifying the previous clause, "A baby emerges." This makes perfect sense -- when the baby emerges, it possesses a rudimentary sense of vision.

To summarize: there's nothing inherently wrong with "with." (If there were, I wouldn't have written the previous sentence!) Ask yourself what "with" is modifying and then determine whether the construction seems logical.

I hope that helps!

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2019, 01:22
Sentence describes the baby’s momentous escape from the womb, and then discusses the dreadful eyesight all babies possess. The sentence continues with the pronoun “it”, which could refer back to the baby, the vision, or potentially even the womb, as any singular noun in the sentence could potentially be the correct antecedent. The context kind of guides you into understanding that the vision must be what’s considered, because babies are not rated 20/500 (except on Toddlers & Tiaras). The presence of another “it” later on, ostensibly referring to the child this time, cements the notion that the pronouns are unclear and the answer cannot be A.
Choices C and E commit the same pronoun error. We can also eliminate option C because the semi-colon should link two sentences that could stand on their own, whereas the second portion is clearly dependent on the first section. Similarly answer choice E is missing a crucial “be” between the words “would” and “deemed”. In option B, everything after the comma changes the meaning of the sentence. The sentence does not convey that the baby’s eyesight is just dreadful. Instead it implies that the vision would be an adult, which is completely nonsensical.
By process of elimination, it must be answer choice D. This sentence uses syntax correctly and avoids ambiguous pronoun usage. The pronoun which is used properly (it always refers to the term right before the comma), and the meaning is clear and unambiguous. Not only are the four other answer choices incorrect, this choice is grammatically flawless and aesthetically pleasing.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2019, 07:34
Quote:
(E) As a baby emerges from the darkness of the womb, its rudimentary sense of vision, which would be deemed legally blind for an adult, would be rated about 20/500.

Isn't " which would be deemed legally blind for an adult" modifies rudimentary sense?
IMO when I read this by excluding modifier " which would be deemed legally blind for an adult" as
As a baby emerges from the darkness of the womb, its rudimentary sense of vision, which would be deemed legally blind for an adult, would be rated about 20/500.

Isn't that correct sentence? How E is wrong. I don't think that here 'its' is problematic.

Experts kindly help
CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
As a baby emerges from the darkness of the womb with a rudimentary sen  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2019, 21:31
Suryakumar wrote:
Isn't " which would be deemed legally blind for an adult" modifies rudimentary sense?
IMO when I read this by excluding modifier " which would be deemed legally blind for an adult" as
As a baby emerges from the darkness of the womb, its rudimentary sense of vision, which would be deemed legally blind for an adult, would be rated about 20/500.

Isn't that correct sentence? How E is wrong. I don't think that here 'its' is problematic.

Experts kindly help
The which would be... itself is not correct, so we shouldn't ignore it.

1. It's hard to argue that the "sense of vision" would be deemed legally blind. That is, what would we apply "legally blind" to? A person ("he is legally blind") or a "sense" ("his sense of vision is legally blind")?

2. Even if we disregard that issue, there's another meaning call here: we don't really want to say that a baby is "deemed legally blind" as it emerges from the womb. The intended meaning is that if an adult had such a sense of vision, he or she would be deemed legally blind.
B
As a baby emerges from the darkness of the womb with a rudimentary sen  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 19 Aug 2019, 01:26
Hi GMATNinja, daagh , AjiteshArun

Can you please tell me how the below is independent clause in D.

"an adult with such vision would be deemed legally blind."

I ignored it as independent clause because of "Such Vision" .

I am just a beginner. Looking for your help.

Thanks

Originally posted by a12bansal on 16 Aug 2019, 22:12.
Last edited by a12bansal on 19 Aug 2019, 01:26, edited 3 times in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.95
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2019, 22:33
The construction AS+clause is used for comparison.

I do not see any comparison in ACE. Is this correct reason to eliminate

daagh GMATNinja
Retired Moderator
V
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2019, 00:37
Top Contributor
Saurabh
Quote:
The construction AS+clause is used for comparison.

How correct is this statement?

The role of the word 'as' is multi- faceted. That "as' can be used in the positive degree is one facet. However, we can also use 'as' for a subordinate conjunction meaning 'because", as done in the choices A, C ,and E.

Therefore A, C, and E are not wrong for lack of comparison. They are eliminated for their warped meaning and unclear pronoun references and the like.
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.95
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2019, 00:44
Thanks daagh..

Your response makes me introspect my reasoning on SC question.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 18 Aug 2019, 20:42
daagh GMATNinja egmat Souvik

Hi,

I have a question about answer choice E.

(E) As a baby emerges from the darkness of the womb, its rudimentary sense of vision, which would be deemed legally blind for an adult, would be rated about 20/500.

What is the construction of the sentence ? Is it Subordinating Clause, Independent clause ? (Judging by the comma placement and absence of FANBOYS).

Will appreciate an answer please.

Thanks.

Originally posted by altairahmad on 17 Aug 2019, 13:27.
Last edited by altairahmad on 18 Aug 2019, 20:42, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
P

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2019, 03:10
(A) As a baby emerges from the darkness of the womb with a rudimentary sense of vision, it would be rated about 20/500, or legally blind if it were an adult with such vision:

MEANING ERROR. IT REFERS TO BABY (CASE AGREEMENT). BABY WOULD BE RATED....

(B) A baby emerges from the darkness of the womb with a rudimentary sense of vision that would be rated about 20/500, or legally blind as an adult:

COMPARISON ERROR, A MEDICAL CONDITION (BLIND) COMPARED TO AN ADULT.

(C) As a baby emerges from the darkness of the womb, its rudimentary sense of vision would be rated about 20/500; qualifying it to be legally blind if an adult:

NEEDS AN INDEPENDENT CLAUSE AFTER SEMI COLON.

(D) A baby emerges from the darkness of the womb with a rudimentary sense of vision that would be rated about 20/500; an adult with such vision would be deemed legally blind:

CORRECT

(E) As a baby emerges from the darkness of the womb, its rudimentary sense of vision, which would be deemed legally blind for an adult, would be rated about 20/500:

MEANING ERROR DUE TO MISPLACED MODIFIER 'FOR AN ADULT'.
SENSE OF VISION WOULD BE DEEMED BLIND + FOR AN ADULT...

Posted from my mobile device
CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2019, 00:33
altairahmad wrote:
daagh GMATNinja egmat Souvik

Hi,

I have a question about answer choice E.

What is the construction of the sentence ? Is it Subordinating Clause, Independent clause ? (Judging by the comma placement and absence of FANBOYS).

Will appreciate an answer please.

Thanks.
Hi altairahmad,

Yes, it is subordinate clause, independent clause:

As a baby emerges from the darkness of the womb, its rudimentary sense of vision would be rated about 20/500.
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2019, 01:10
Top Contributor
Quote:
altair wrote

E) As a baby emerges from the darkness of the womb, its rudimentary sense of vision, which would be deemed legally blind for an adult, would be rated about 20/500.

You are correct. The IC is inter-spaced with a relative clause modifier, which one can consign to the corner temporarily for clarity. Per se, this is a complex sentence.
Manager
G
GPA: 3.9
WE: Account Management (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2019, 04:39
Quote:
As a baby emerges from the darkness of the womb with a rudimentary sense of vision, it would be rated about 20/500, or legally blind if it were an adult with such vision.

Hi,
Use of "As" in the beginning of the sentence, in most cases, sets a tone of parallel/simultaneous action.
What the author is trying to say in simpler words is that when a baby emerges from the darkness of the womb, its rudimentary sense of vision is that of a partially blind adult, and if someone wants to rate it, it'd be about 20/500.
So there is no need to set a tone of parallel action. Keeping this in mind, Only D conveys the meaning in a clear and crisp tone.

Quote:

Re: As a baby emerges from the darkness of the womb with a rudimentary sen   [#permalink] 19 Aug 2019, 04:39

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 43 posts ] 

As a baby emerges from the darkness of the womb with a rudimentary sen

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics