GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Oct 2018, 13:01

Oct 15

Darden EA Calls have started. Join the Darden Chat or Darden Forum Discussion or Darden Decision Tracker

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

As a baby emerges from the darkness of the womb with a rudimentary sen

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Re: As a baby emerges from the darkness of the womb with a rudimentary sen  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2018, 23:52
Why is the usage of 'would be ' correct over here? shouldn't it be 'is rated'?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: As a baby emerges from the darkness of the womb with a rudimentary sen  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2018, 17:18
anchitahuja wrote:
Why is the usage of 'would be ' correct over here? shouldn't it be 'is rated'?

In order to say a baby's sight "is rated about 20/500", somebody would actually have to rate the baby's eyesight "when it emerges from the darkness of the womb." And while maybe that could happen using some sort of interesting technology, it seems unlikely that a baby would willingly participate in an eye test as soon as it's born.

Since the actual act of rating the baby's eyesight might not actually happen, it makes sense to use the conditional "would": if somebody were to rate the baby's eyesight as soon as it's born, it would rate about 20/500.

I hope this helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2018, 07:40
Dear All

While D is the correct answer, please can you help me understand the phrase after the semi colon.

Reason am asking is that I understand semi colon should have independent clauses before and after and within D, after colon, an adult such vision .... isn't such vision something unclear or does not have precedent , hence fragment or incorrect sentence.

(D) A baby emerges from the darkness of the womb with a rudimentary sense of vision that would be rated about 20/500; an adult with such vision would be deemed legally blind.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2018, 22:17
proabhinav wrote:
Dear All

While D is the correct answer, please can you help me understand the phrase after the semi colon.

Reason am asking is that I understand semi colon should have independent clauses before and after and within D, after colon, an adult such vision .... isn't such vision something unclear or does not have precedent , hence fragment or incorrect sentence.

(D) A baby emerges from the darkness of the womb with a rudimentary sense of vision that would be rated about 20/500; an adult with such vision would be deemed legally blind.

An independent clause must be able to stand on its own grammatically. It doesn't mean that you can't refer to another clause to understand it.

Think of the way you learned to structure a paragraph when you were introduced to formal essay-writing in school. The first sentence introduces an idea. The next one elaborates on this idea, or provides an example to illustrate it. It may well be the case that the second sentence doesn't make sense without the first, but that doesn't mean that there's a grammatical error in it!

Similarly, we'll often use a pronoun in one clause to refer to an antecedent in another. You can basically think about the usage of "such vision" that way - it refers to "20/500," and that's perfectly fine.

I hope that helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2018, 22:34
Option A: "As a baby emerges from the darkness of the womb with a rudimentary sense of vision, it would be rated about 20/500, or legally blind if it were an adult with such vision"

I was confused between A and D. I somehow felt that there is a meaning change in option D and chose the wrong answer A.

Is the ambiguous usage of "it" the only mistake in option A?

Please clarify.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2018, 01:10
SUPMUN wrote:
Option A: "As a baby emerges from the darkness of the womb with a rudimentary sense of vision, it would be rated about 20/500, or legally blind if it were an adult with such vision"

I was confused between A and D. I somehow felt that there is a meaning change in option D and chose the wrong answer A.

Is the ambiguous usage of "it" the only mistake in option A?

Please clarify.

The usage of "it" is worse than ambiguous in (A). Because "it" is the subject of a clause and "a baby" is the subject of the previous clause, it seems as though "it" is referring to "a baby." Rating a baby 20/500 isn't just nonsensical, it's downright mean. (On a good day, my baby would rate at least a 120 on a 500 point scale.)

Worse still, the clause "if it were an adult with such vision" suggests that a baby could be an adult! I would not want to live in such a world. And neither would that man-baby's poor mother... :oops:

Need an expert reply?

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 590 Q44 V27
GMAT 2: 540 Q42 V22
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2018, 21:42
GMATNinja, egmat,

Thanks for clarifications. My answer choice D is correct at first place. However I have 2 questions :
Q1 : I can see it is mentioned that 'it' can refer to baby. Can 'it' pronoun refer to 'baby' which is human and not things ?
Q2 : In answer choice D, 'with' is modifying 'womb' or 'baby' ? I understand GMAT does not prefer sentences which use 'with'.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2018, 10:19
NAvinash wrote:
GMATNinja, egmat,

Thanks for clarifications. My answer choice D is correct at first place. However I have 2 questions :
Q1 : I can see it is mentioned that 'it' can refer to baby. Can 'it' pronoun refer to 'baby' which is human and not things ?
Q2 : In answer choice D, 'with' is modifying 'womb' or 'baby' ? I understand GMAT does not prefer sentences which use 'with'.

Excellent questions!

In fact, question 1 is so good, I don't think it has a definitive answer. Surely, it's okay to exclaim, "It's a girl!" when a baby is born. And if someone knocks at your door, there's no problem asking "who is it?" But if your baby were throwing a tantrum on a plane, and someone else asked you to "feed it or something" the "it" seems inappropriate.

For what it's worth, I can't recall having seen an OA in which "it" referred to a person. So I'd be very surprised if "it" is ever used to refer to a person in a correct answer, but I can't say that with 100% certainty that it's absolutely WRONG, especially if "it" refers to "a baby" and we don't know its gender. But I wouldn't worry about this issue at all, since you will probably never see it as the deciding factor on an official question.

As for question 2, wouldn't it be nice if we could just memorize a list of prepositions the GMAT didn't like and then robotically eliminate those answer choices whenever we encountered such words? Sadly, the GMAT is going to force us to think, and we'll have to use a bit of logic to determine if a given construction is acceptable. In this case "with a rudimentary sense of vision" seems to be modifying the previous clause, "A baby emerges." This makes perfect sense -- when the baby emerges, it possesses a rudimentary sense of vision.

To summarize: there's nothing inherently wrong with "with." (If there were, I wouldn't have written the previous sentence!) Ask yourself what "with" is modifying and then determine whether the construction seems logical.

I hope that helps!

Need an expert reply?

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 590 Q44 V27
GMAT 2: 540 Q42 V22
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2018, 07:00
GMATNinja wrote:
NAvinash wrote:
GMATNinja, egmat,

Excellent questions!

In fact, question 1 is so good, I don't think it has a definitive answer. Surely, it's okay to exclaim, "It's a girl!" when a baby is born. And if someone knocks at your door, there's no problem asking "who is it?" But if your baby were throwing a tantrum on a plane, and someone else asked you to "feed it or something" the "it" seems inappropriate.

For what it's worth, I can't recall having seen an OA in which "it" referred to a person. So I'd be very surprised if "it" is ever used to refer to a person in a correct answer, but I can't say that with 100% certainty that it's absolutely WRONG, especially if "it" refers to "a baby" and we don't know its gender. But I wouldn't worry about this issue at all, since you will probably never see it as the deciding factor on an official question.

As for question 2, wouldn't it be nice if we could just memorize a list of prepositions the GMAT didn't like and then robotically eliminate those answer choices whenever we encountered such words? Sadly, the GMAT is going to force us to think, and we'll have to use a bit of logic to determine if a given construction is acceptable. In this case "with a rudimentary sense of vision" seems to be modifying the previous clause, "A baby emerges." This makes perfect sense -- when the baby emerges, it possesses a rudimentary sense of vision.

To summarize: there's nothing inherently wrong with "with." (If there were, I wouldn't have written the previous sentence!) Ask yourself what "with" is modifying and then determine whether the construction seems logical.

I hope that helps!

Absolutely. thanks a lot. Your explanations are really in details and helpful.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: As a baby emerges from the darkness of the womb with a rudimentary sen &nbs [#permalink] 05 Oct 2018, 07:00

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 29 posts ] 

As a baby emerges from the darkness of the womb with a rudimentary sen

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap