GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Feb 2019, 04:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
272829303112
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
242526272812
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT RC Webinar

     February 23, 2019

     February 23, 2019

     07:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Learn reading strategies that can help even non-voracious reader to master GMAT RC. Saturday, February 23rd at 7 AM PT
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

     February 24, 2019

     February 24, 2019

     07:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.

As a construction material, bamboo is as strong as steel and sturdier

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

 
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Jul 2012
Posts: 45
As a construction material, bamboo is as strong as steel and sturdier  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 22 Nov 2018, 06:00
9
63
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  35% (medium)

Question Stats:

70% (01:28) correct 30% (01:52) wrong based on 4161 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

As a construction material, bamboo is as strong as steel and sturdier than concrete. Moreover, in tropical areas bamboo is a much less expensive construction material than either steel or concrete and is always readily available. In tropical areas, therefore, building with bamboo makes better economic sense than building with steel or concrete, except where land values are high.

Which of the following, if true, most helps to explain the exception noted above?


(A) Buildings constructed of bamboo are less likely to suffer earthquake damage than are steel and concrete buildings.

(B) Bamboo is unsuitable as a building material for multistory buildings.

(C) In order to protect it from being damaged by termites and beetles, bamboo must be soaked, at some expense, in a preservative.

(D) In some tropical areas, bamboo is used to make the scaffolding that is used during large construction projects.

(E) Bamboo growing in an area where land values are increasing is often cleared to make way for construction.


Building with Bamboo

Step 1: Identify the Question

The words explain the exception in the question stem indicate that this is an Explain the Discrepancy question.

Step 2: Deconstruct the Argument

Bamboo vs concrete/steel:

B at least as sturdy + cheaper → more econom. in trop. areas

BUT: high land values → B not econom.?

Step 3: Pause and State the Goal

On Explain the Discrepancy questions, start by identifying the “status quo” and the “surprise” in the argument. The status quo is that bamboo, which is cheaper and sturdier than concrete in tropical areas, is a more economical building material. For some reason, though, when land values are high, bamboo is not as economical. The right answer will explain why high land values make bamboo uneconomical.

Step 4: Work from Wrong to Right

(A) The right answer must explain why bamboo becomes less economical specifically in areas of high land value. Since the argument doesn’t state that earthquakes affect areas of high and low land value differently, this answer choice doesn’t make that distinction.

(B) CORRECT. In areas with low land values, building with bamboo makes more economic sense than building with steel and concrete. However, in areas with high land values, using steel or concrete enables multistory buildings to be constructed, while only single-story buildings can be constructed with bamboo. If land values are high, multistory buildings become more economically desirable: they have a smaller footprint, so less money needs to be spent on land. In contrast, a bamboo building of the same overall size would have a larger footprint, increasing the amount spent on land. Thus, even though steel and concrete technically cost more, their cost might be offset in areas of high land value, because using these materials allows less money to be spent on land.

(C) The right answer must explain why bamboo becomes less economical specifically in areas of high land value. Since the argument doesn’t state that termite and beetle damage affects areas of high and low land value differently, this answer choice doesn’t make that distinction.

(D) The argument deals with bamboo as a construction material, not as a scaffolding material. Its use as a scaffolding material does not imply that bamboo is uneconomical as a building material. In addition, there is not necessarily a connection between large construction projects and land values, since the answer choice does not clarify what constitutes a large construction project.

(E) This answer choice, unlike some of the other wrong answers, does draw a distinction between areas with different land values. However, it conflates increasing land values with high land values. Those aren’t necessarily the same. Also, clearing bamboo from an area might or might not affect its viability as a construction material. If bamboo is cleared from a high value area, the resulting surplus of bamboo might actually make it a more economical building material.

Originally posted by betterscore on 19 Jul 2012, 09:45.
Last edited by Bunuel on 22 Nov 2018, 06:00, edited 3 times in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
P
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 2796
Re: As a construction material, bamboo is as strong as steel and sturdier  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2013, 22:11
12
8
targetgmatchotu wrote:
Somehow,I am not at all with the solution that OG gave:

Following is an extract from OG-13 Solution Q94:
Multistory buildings are particularly desirable in areas where land values are high, but
bamboo may not be suitable for such buildings.


Now where in the stimulus there is mention of the above reasoning ?

It is just that we are assuming and that isn't allowed in GMAT CR?

Plz Advice

Rgds,
TGC


Hi,

The highlighted statement is actually not true and most people have misconceptions around this.

GMAT CR section is not about formal logic where you have to take the literal meaning of each word and convert that into a logical representation using sets or some other notations and then apply classical logical rules to arrive at the answer.

Rather, GMAT CR section is a test of your everyday logic and thus, it uses some of the most intuitive understandings such as

1. People prefer more profit over less profit
2. Dollar sales should increase with the increase in the number of customers
3. A person who is more willing to use meditation technique is expected to use such techniques over a longer term than a person who is less willing.

Don't you think these statements seem very common sense?

However, as you can see that these statement can also be false in some specific scenarios; however, generally, they make a lot of sense. Actually such understanding is needed to tackle a lot of CR questions.

I did not create these three statements out of thin air. The understanding of such statements are needed to tackle below three respective OG questions:

Question 1

One name-brand cereal manufacturer is about to reduce wholesale prices for its cereals by 20% because consumers have been switching from its cereals to cheaper store brands. The success of this strategy relies on the assumption that supermarkets will pass on all of the savings by lowering the prices they charge consumers for the manufacturers' cereals. Although supermarkets usually pass on such savings, in this case it is likely that supermarkets will not do so because ............................................................

a) Several other name-brand cereal manufacturers are about to reduce the wholesale prices of their cereals
b) the average price per box of name-band cereals has significantly increases over the past 10 years.
c) total annual sales of cereal - including both name-brand and store-brand cereals -have increased over the past 10 years.
d) supermarkets currently make far more profit on sales of store-brand cereals than on sales of name-brand cereals
e) the current prices of manufacturers' cereals are comparable to the prices of name-brand cereals produced by other cereal manufacturers.

Correct Option: D

Question 2

Theatergoer: In January of last year, the Megaplex chain of movie theaters started popping its popcorn in canola oil, instead of the less healthful coconut oi that it had been using until then. Now Megaplex is planning to switch back, saying that the change has hurt popcorn sales. That claim is false, however, since according to Megaplex's own sales figures, Megaplex sold five percent more popcorn last year than in the previous year.
  Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the theaterg0er‘s argument?
  A. When it switched from using coconut oil to using canola oil, Megaplex made sure that the chain received a great deal of publicity stressing the health benefits of the change.
  B. Megaplex makes more money on food and beverages sold at its theaters than it does on sales of movie tickets.
  C. In a survey to determine pubic response to the change to canola oil, very few of Megapiex's customers said that the change had affected their popcorn-buying habits.
  D. Total sales of all food and beverage items at Megaplex's movie theaters increased by less than five percent last year.
  E. Total attendance at Megaplex's movie theaters was more than 20 percent higher last year than the year before.

Correct Option: E

Question 3

A study of high blood pressure treatments found that certain meditation techniques and the most commonly prescribed drugs are equally effective if the selected treatment is followed as directed over the long term. Half the patients given drugs soon stop taking them regularly, whereas eighty percent of the study's participants who were taught meditation techniques were still regularly using them five years later. Therefore, the meditation treatment is the one likely to produce the best results.
  Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?
  A. People who have high blood pressure are usually advised by their physicians to make changes in diet that have been found in many cases to reduce the severity of the condition.
  B. The participants in the study were selected in part on the basis of their willingness to use meditation techniques.
  C. Meditation techniques can reduce the blood pressure of people who do not suffer from high blood pressure.
  D. Some of the participants in the study whose high blood pressure was controlled through meditation techniques were physicians.
  E. Many people with dangerously high blood pressure are unaware of their condition.

Correct Option: B

Look at the correct answers of the above questions and look at the three common sense statements I made and observe that without those common sense statements, the correct answer choices will not be correct.

Similar is the case with the current questions: We need to have this understanding that places where land values are high, multistory buildings will be preferred since on the same land, we can have more office or house space.

Hope this helps :)

Let me know if any further clarification is needed.

Thanks,
Chiranjeev
_________________








Everything you need to ace the GMAT and more
Basics of the GMAT
GMAT Exam Strategies
GMAT Study Plans
GMAT Verbal Subject Matter
GMAT AWA & IR




| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Most Helpful Community Reply
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 03 Aug 2012
Posts: 710
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Premium Member
Re: As a construction material, bamboo is as strong as steel and sturdier  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2013, 06:02
12
Sorry to say still nobody has answered my query.

In tropical areas, therefore, building with bamboo makes better economic sense than building with steel or concrete, except where land values are high.

Paradox is even if BAMBOO makes economic sense then why IT is not used in where land values are high

(B) Bamboo is unsuitable as a building material for multistory buildings.

How can we assume here that places where LAND VALUES ARE HIGH we will find MULTISTORY BUILDINGS.

Places where LAND VALUES are high can be the places where there are BUNGALOWS or may be the land values could be high because "Very important People" are living there.

How could we relate HIGH LAND VALUES with MULTISTORY.

I contradict the reasoning of common sense as given by other members in this post.

Plz Advice !!

Rgds,
TGC
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
B
Status: Final Countdown
Joined: 17 Mar 2010
Posts: 431
Location: United States (NY)
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Re: As a construction material, bamboo is as strong as steel and sturdier  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2012, 10:07
1
straight (B)
(B) Bamboo is unsuitable as a building material for multistory buildings.
_________________

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Juggg..Jugggg Go!
Joined: 11 May 2012
Posts: 191
Location: India
GC Meter: A.W.E.S.O.M.E
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
Reviews Badge
Re: As a construction material, bamboo is as strong as steel and sturdier  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2012, 20:40
5
1
betterscore wrote:
As a construction material, bamboo is as strong as steel and sturdier than concrete. Moreover, in tropical areas bamboo is a much less expensive construction material than either steel or concrete and is always readily available. In tropical areas, therefore, building with bamboo makes better economic sense than building with steel or concrete, except where land values are high.

Which of the following, if true, most helps to explain the exception noted above?

(A) Buildings constructed of bamboo are less likely to suffer earthquake damage than are steel and concrete buildings.
(B) Bamboo is unsuitable as a building material for multistory buildings.
(C) In order to protect it from being damaged by termites and beetles, bamboo must be soaked, at some expense, in a preservative.
(D) In some tropical areas, bamboo is used to make the scaffolding that is used during large construction projects.
(E) Bamboo growing in an area where land values are increasing is often


Its important to note that, answering a verbal question is more like negating all the wrong answers.

stimulus: bamboo strong as steel and sturdier than concrete, tropic areas they are < expensive. So, where land values are high,we cannot use bamboo.
But using bamboo should be economical. But why not?
a. earthquake - irrelevant. question is clearly talking about economical and bamboos
b. Bamboo unsuitable as a building material for multistory buildings. - could make sense. Higher land values, more multistory buildings. No bamboo. explains.
c. again irrelevant - [you cannot connect termites with high land values]
d. so what they use for scaffolding. it still doesnt talk about constructing buildings.
e. again irrelevant - so if land values are increasing and bamboo growing. doesnt talk about bamboo being used for constructing buildings

Please also note in such type of questions - the above is explained by which of the following types, usually NEW INFORMATION is better suited.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 May 2012
Posts: 40
Re: As a construction material, bamboo is as strong as steel and sturdier  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2012, 21:32
6
Even in B we are having a assumption that in case if the land value is high people would use Apartments . I think this is out of scope.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 24 Sep 2008
Posts: 168
Schools: MIT / INSEAD / IIM - ABC
Re: As a construction material, bamboo is as strong as steel and sturdier  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2012, 00:19
2
I picked up C over B, because thought, ther is an additional cost, so high land values + additional expense => could be a deterrrent for using bamboo on high value lands

Now, i see that "some" is not a favorable "adj" to be chosen as a correct option

Cheers
GODSPEED
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Jan 2011
Posts: 129
Re: As a construction material, bamboo is as strong as steel and sturdier  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2012, 02:32
2
Bamboo is stronger than steel and strudier than concrete. In tropical areas, bamboo is cheap and readily available. Hence this is a good option to build expect when land values are high.

When land values are high, it is always a viable option to build multi-storeyed buildings to provide more living area.

B. Bamboo is unsuitable as a building material for multistory buildings - Provides the link to connect premise and conclusion. - Correct
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 03 Aug 2012
Posts: 710
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Premium Member
Re: As a construction material, bamboo is as strong as steel and sturdier  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2013, 21:33
6
Somehow,I am not at all with the solution that OG gave:

Following is an extract from OG-13 Solution Q94:
Multistory buildings are particularly desirable in areas where land values are high, but
bamboo may not be suitable for such buildings.


Now where in the stimulus there is mention of the above reasoning ?

It is just that we are assuming and that isn't allowed in GMAT CR?

Plz Advice

Rgds,
TGC
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2012
Posts: 265
Schools: LBS '14 (A$)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Re: As a construction material, bamboo is as strong as steel and sturdier  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2013, 01:49
1
2
Hi Target,

It is given in the answer 'B', the whole point of this sort of question is evaluating which of the options provides EXTRA information that helps explain the paradox in the passage.

So which of the answers A-E gives additional info that would explain why Bamboo is not used. Answer B does that so is correct.

James
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Dec 2012
Posts: 61
Location: United Kingdom
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Re: As a construction material, bamboo is as strong as steel and sturdier  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2013, 13:54
2
targetgmatchotu wrote:
Sorry to say still nobody has answered my query.

In tropical areas, therefore, building with bamboo makes better economic sense than building with steel or concrete, except where land values are high.

Paradox is even if BAMBOO makes economic sense then why IT is not used in where land values are high

(B) Bamboo is unsuitable as a building material for multistory buildings.

How can we assume here that places where LAND VALUES ARE HIGH we will find MULTISTORY BUILDINGS.

Places where LAND VALUES are high can be the places where there are BUNGALOWS or may be the land values could be high because "Very important People" are living there.

How could we relate HIGH LAND VALUES with MULTISTORY.

I contradict the reasoning of common sense as given by other members in this post.

Plz Advice !!

Rgds,
TGC


I sort of agree with your reasoning that high land values does always equate to multi-storey, for example not every building in Monte Carlo (one of THE most expensive places per sqft in the world) is a multi-storey building. So yes, although it may seem like a logical conclusion, it is not a given that high land values equates to only multi-storey buildings. BUT, looking at all the other options you will have to select a possible answer.

I suppose GMAT is also testing your skill of eliminating the wrong choices and in this case after the process of elimination you are left with B. It may not be the best possible answer but of the 5 choices it is.

Hope that makes sense.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Jan 2010
Posts: 253
Re: As a construction material, bamboo is as strong as steel and sturdier  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2013, 17:34
1
betterscore wrote:
As a construction material, bamboo is as strong as steel and sturdier than concrete. Moreover, in tropical areas bamboo is a much less expensive construction material than either steel or concrete and is always readily available. In tropical areas, therefore, building with bamboo makes better economic sense than building with steel or concrete, except where land values are high.

Which of the following, if true, most helps to explain the exception noted above?

(A) Buildings constructed of bamboo are less likely to suffer earthquake damage than are steel and concrete buildings.
(B) Bamboo is unsuitable as a building material for multistory buildings.
(C) In order to protect it from being damaged by termites and beetles, bamboo must be soaked, at some expense, in a preservative.
(D) In some tropical areas, bamboo is used to make the scaffolding that is used during large construction projects.
(E) Bamboo growing in an area where land values are increasing is often


I haven't seen such a question type where the GMAT boldly asks you to think why for a particular argument.
A) Strengthens the case.
B) Bingo ! this has high probability of being the answer.
C)hmm..doesn't answer our case. Irrelevant.
D)Doesn't answer out question in any way. Out.
E)Incomplete Answer choice.

B wins.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 06 Jun 2012
Posts: 1
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: Booth '18
Re: As a construction material, bamboo is as strong as steel and sturdier  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2013, 09:47
I don't know whether my reply still counts or not. But why has everyone rejected Option E. The question clearly states:

"Moreover, in tropical areas bamboo is a much less expensive construction material than either steel or concrete and is always readily available."

"Is readily available".So if Bamboo growing in an area where land values are increasing is often cleared to make way for construction means Bamboo is not available readily. Hence it is not viable to use.

This makes more sense to me rather than simply assuming high land value = multi storey building.






Bluelagoon wrote:
betterscore wrote:
As a construction material, bamboo is as strong as steel and sturdier than concrete. Moreover, in tropical areas bamboo is a much less expensive construction material than either steel or concrete and is always readily available. In tropical areas, therefore, building with bamboo makes better economic sense than building with steel or concrete, except where land values are high.

Which of the following, if true, most helps to explain the exception noted above?

(A) Buildings constructed of bamboo are less likely to suffer earthquake damage than are steel and concrete buildings.
(B) Bamboo is unsuitable as a building material for multistory buildings.
(C) In order to protect it from being damaged by termites and beetles, bamboo must be soaked, at some expense, in a preservative.
(D) In some tropical areas, bamboo is used to make the scaffolding that is used during large construction projects.
(E) Bamboo growing in an area where land values are increasing is often


I haven't seen such a question type where the GMAT boldly asks you to think why for a particular argument.
A) Strengthens the case.
B) Bingo ! this has high probability of being the answer.
C)hmm..doesn't answer our case. Irrelevant.
D)Doesn't answer out question in any way. Out.
E)Incomplete Answer choice.

B wins.
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
P
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 2796
Re: As a construction material, bamboo is as strong as steel and sturdier  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2013, 18:19
3
tkull wrote:
I don't know whether my reply still counts or not. But why has everyone rejected Option E. The question clearly states:

"Moreover, in tropical areas bamboo is a much less expensive construction material than either steel or concrete and is always readily available."

"Is readily available".So if Bamboo growing in an area where land values are increasing is often cleared to make way for construction means Bamboo is not available readily. Hence it is not viable to use.

This makes more sense to me rather than simply assuming high land value = multi storey building.


The problem with your logic is that you are going against the premise, a thing that is not allowed in GMAT. When the premise says that "bamboo is always readily available", an option statement indicating something against it is wrong for the reason that it contradicts the passage.

In addition, this is an official question and the official answer is B, so if you think E is correct, you think GMAC is wrong - not a fruitful way to approach GMAT.

Thanks,
Chiranjeev
_________________








Everything you need to ace the GMAT and more
Basics of the GMAT
GMAT Exam Strategies
GMAT Study Plans
GMAT Verbal Subject Matter
GMAT AWA & IR




| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Jamboree GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Status: GMAT Expert
Affiliations: Jamboree Education Pvt Ltd
Joined: 15 Jul 2015
Posts: 273
Location: India
Re: As a construction material, bamboo is as strong as steel and sturdier  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2016, 22:47
In this argument all points have been given in favor of Bamboo except that it cannot be used in places where land values are high. We need to find out why that is the case. This is a paradox question. Hence as "B" suggests in places where land values are high, buildings with multiple floors are constructed and since Bamboo is not suitable for such buildings it is not used. "E" does not resolve the paradox rather makes it more complicated.Bamboo can be cleared for multiple purpose but that does not clarify why is it unsuitable for building purpose.
_________________

Aryama Dutta Saikia
Jamboree Education Pvt. Ltd.

Director
Director
User avatar
B
Joined: 04 Jun 2016
Posts: 568
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43
Re: As a construction material, bamboo is as strong as steel and sturdier  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2016, 11:50
betterscore wrote:
As a construction material, bamboo is as strong as steel and sturdier than concrete. Moreover, in tropical areas bamboo is a much less expensive construction material than either steel or concrete and is always readily available. In tropical areas, therefore, building with bamboo makes better economic sense than building with steel or concrete, except where land values are high.

Which of the following, if true, most helps to explain the exception noted above?

(A) Buildings constructed of bamboo are less likely to suffer earthquake damage than are steel and concrete buildings.
(B) Bamboo is unsuitable as a building material for multistory buildings.
(C) In order to protect it from being damaged b[y termites and beetles, bamboo must be soaked, at some expense, in a preservative.
(D) In some tropical areas, bamboo is used to make the scaffolding that is used during large construction projects.
(E) Bamboo growing in an area where land values are increasing is often cleared to make way for construction.


Answer is B

Stimulus tells us that when land price is high then bamboo is NOT suitable.
Option B tells us why it should not used. -Because when land is expensive, it makes sense to make multi-storey buildings to get maximum value of that land.

BAMBOO CANNOT BE USED TO MAKE MULTI STOREY BUILDING; therefore it is an exception for areas with high land price.
B) Bamboo is unsuitable as a building material for multistory buildings.

THEREFORE B IS THE CORRECT ANSWER.

_________________

Posting an answer without an explanation is "GOD COMPLEX". The world doesn't need any more gods. Please explain you answers properly.
FINAL GOODBYE :- 17th SEPTEMBER 2016. .. 16 March 2017 - I am back but for all purposes please consider me semi-retired.

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Jul 2017
Posts: 1
Re: As a construction material, bamboo is as strong as steel and sturdier  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2017, 00:48
I selected option E as clearing the bamboo from a bamboo growing area, makes it less available, hence, negating the situation.

Why would this logic not work?

Posted from my mobile device
Board of Directors
User avatar
V
Status: Stepping into my 10 years long dream
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 3631
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: As a construction material, bamboo is as strong as steel and sturdier  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2017, 01:08
1
sahilsbakshi wrote:
I selected option E as clearing the bamboo from a bamboo growing area, makes it less available, hence, negating the situation.

Why would this logic not work?

Posted from my mobile device


Hi sahilsbakshi ,

The argument has clearly mentioned that Bamboo is readily available. Now, if I consider your point true, It means I am trying to break the premise. This is strictly not allowed.

The argument is actually all about constructing economically cheap homes in one area while not the same in another.

We need to find out the reason for that. Your point is no where telling us the point we are looking for.

Does that make sense?
_________________

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog
GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.
New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!
Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free
Check our new About Us Page here.

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 27 Oct 2017
Posts: 6
Re: As a construction material, bamboo is as strong as steel and sturdier  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2017, 03:28
I have no problems with option B but why not Option E, option E will not be economically sensible
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
User avatar
P
Status: GMAT and GRE tutor
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 2296
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: As a construction material, bamboo is as strong as steel and sturdier  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2017, 19:05
1
monidip1010 wrote:
I have no problems with option B but why not Option E, option E will not be economically sensible

The last few posts by abhishekdadarwal2009, abhimahna, and akshayk address option (E) specifically, so please review those replies before posting further questions.

We are trying to explain why BUILDING with bamboo does NOT make better economic sense where land values are high. The source of the bamboo is irrelevant in explaining this exception.

If we want to build in a tropical area, using bamboo usually makes more economic sense REGARDLESS of where that bamboo comes from. In other words, even if we are building in an area where land values are low, the bamboo still might come from places where land values are increasing. The sources might be the same regardless of where we are building. So why is building with bamboo economically viable in most tropical areas but not in areas where land values are high? Only choice (B) explains this exception.

I hope this helps!
_________________

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

GMAT Club Bot
Re: As a construction material, bamboo is as strong as steel and sturdier   [#permalink] 14 Nov 2017, 19:05

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 24 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

As a construction material, bamboo is as strong as steel and sturdier

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.